Relocated

bigugli

17 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Congrats on the new place Bruce.  I just moved into my new place on the weekend. What a $hit show it was trying to find a place. 

We went to over 50 houses.  Saw lineups of 100 applicants, bidding wars. Landlords close a listing one week and relist the next for $500 more. Some of the places were pure dumps.

I know people who want to move because of crime (theft) and bad neighbours etc. but are stuck because rents are so high ,and scarce .When a house goes up for sale on our street , it's sold in a week . Then the realtors brag about how they will get you 50 or 100 grand over asking price .  Two nice houses  down the street sold in the $700,000 range . It seems people from T.O. are buying up every house available and will pay way over asking price. I paid $37,500 for my house in 81 ....worth over 600 grand now ...nice little profit eh ?  It was built in 55 for 10 grand on a 50 x 150 lot. 

Bruce .....nice house !  ...quiet street , good size yard , nice porch at the back . I hope you and family enjoy your new home !    

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

I’m only renting and it was the same thing with bidding wars. We lost a place because someone came up and paid a year in advance. 

It has to be very tough to get a decent place to live that doesn't eat up half your income . There's a big buying spree going on as big companies buy up houses to rent at high cost . There's a new word out there ..."Renovictions"  where landlords evict tenants to sell the properties during the insane prices of dwellings now , or evict/ renovate and double the rents . And the government does what to help ?

...from Niagara News .... part of a clip ....

https://www.niagarathisweek.com/news-story/10429669-niagara-tenants-are-feeling-the-squeeze-from-renovictions-/

On 7/7/2021 at 9:12 AM, smerchly said:

I know people who want to move because of crime (theft) and bad neighbours etc. but are stuck because rents are so high ,and scarce .When a house goes up for sale on our street , it's sold in a week . Then the realtors brag about how they will get you 50 or 100 grand over asking price .  Two nice houses  down the street sold in the $700,000 range . It seems people from T.O. are buying up every house available and will pay way over asking price. I paid $37,500 for my house in 81 ....worth over 600 grand now ...nice little profit eh ?  It was built in 55 for 10 grand on a 50 x 150 lot. 

Bruce .....nice house !  ...quiet street , good size yard , nice porch at the back . I hope you and family enjoy your new home !    

Same story here Smerch, bought a 50x150 corner lot with a 900 square foot , 2 bedroom bungalow in '84 as a 34 year old bachelor , the numbers are about the same. Taxes now are close to what I paid for the mortgage for a year ☹️