Bullfrog opener this friday

Hi everyone, I'm looking into going bullfrog harvesting this Friday as it is opener. This will be my first my time ever catching them to eat there juicy legs lol. Is there any good places I could hit up around the niagara region? I'm located out in stevensville. Or if anybody wants to meet up and catch some? Thank you! 

Hmm haven't had frog legs in a long time. I can't help with locations as haven't seen any bullfrogs in a long time. Got me thinking that it would be cool to try to find some. Last time I had frog legs we caught them in a pond at Allen Park close to Durham where we were camped on a speck fishing trip while in high school. We clubed a bunch of them but ended up having to eat them raw soaked in luke warm beer as we couldn't get the coleman stove working. I'm sure they would be much better breaded and deep fried.

Just now, Surf and Turf said:

but ended up having to eat them raw soaked in luke warm beer as we couldn't get the coleman stove working. I'm sure they would be much better breaded and deep fried.

You are kidding right ??  haha  !!

Warm beer & raw frog legs ???   I would have tossed my guts up el pronto !!   You did have a match to light a fire ?  

I checked out the bull frog season and didn't know they are an invasive species in Ontario . ..... so why have a season on them  ?  

My closest buddy had bullies in his pond and those frogs would eat anything , including  the chubs we used for bait . some of those frogs were eaten by blue herons and some ended up in the deep fryer ....tastes like chicken , but hard to get the mind off the frog part.... 

20 hours ago, smerchly said:

You are kidding right ??  haha  !!

Warm beer & raw frog legs ???   I would have tossed my guts up el pronto !!   You did have a match to light a fire ?  

I checked out the bull frog season and didn't know they are an invasive species in Ontario . ..... so why have a season on them  ?  

My closest buddy had bullies in his pond and those frogs would eat anything , including  the chubs we used for bait . some of those frogs were eaten by blue herons and some ended up in the deep fryer ....tastes like chicken , but hard to get the mind off the frog part.... 

No kidding Smerch, that's what happens when you make a spur of the moment decision to go on a fishing trip after school on a Friday afternoon. We only brought necessities for the trip, our gear which always included beer and whiskey, but no food, not even chips, figuring that we would eat fish. We got our camp set up started drinking then about midnight got the severe munchies. There was a large pond right beside us and you could hear the frogs croaking, so we decided to catch some snacks. We waded around in the shallows with a coleman lantern and stick clubbing frogs along the way. 

Once we had a good number of frogs, we cut the legs off put them in a pan poured some Molson's Ex on them, but couldn't get the stove going. We contemplated getting some wood to make a fire, but after a sampling of the marinated frog legs, hunger and the booze over ruled good judgment. (which it had a tendency to do in may cases over the years lol)

The next day we got into some little stream specks which don't have much meat on them to begin with. On those trips we always brought along .22's to shoot ground hogs, we contemplated roasting one of those but luckily came across a rabbit which we roasted on an open fire, nothing better than rabbit flavoured charcoal for lunch, with a side of freshly caught speckled trout!

Nothing like living from the great Canadian "natural resources"  a la' raw !   There must have been some barfing going on later ?   :unsure:

I missed those ' good times' as we took deep fryers  for our fish and grouse on fishing/hunting trips ......except we did fry up some bush made bannock with honey & raisins. We did eat 'cooked' moose liver/onions & one of the guys took the tongue and heart home if moose was downed on the last day ....otherwise we buried the cadmium livers.

When we were young teenyboppers we caught a sucker at the 12 Mile , cleaned it , wrapped it in clay , roasted it over a fire and ate it ...not bad at all !   -_-

My grandparents would cook perrywinkles (snails) , cook them up for us kids and we would take a pin & pull them out of the shell and eat them ...that is about as "raw" as it gets for me . I cannot eat oysters, sushi , caviar etc. etc. ...guess I've lost my capacity to keep it "IN" the stomach .  :P

Yeah, I don't think I'd do that now, although don't mind oysters once in a while.  Definitely don't like roughing it any more than I have too and more.

Yes, love eating fresh fish and grouse on our moose trips too. We often cook up a bit of liver from a young spiker, but I've never been a bit fan of the stuff myself.  I don't think I've never had bannock but sounds interesting.

For the clay wrapped sucker, did you eat the clay or the sucker?  I would think it would be pretty much a toss up, no? Ha  

Well Surf , the clay looked like fresh bread , very tempting as we were hungry . After the 'baked' fish sat on the coals for 10 min.,we knocked off the clay , peeled the skin off and used a stick to slide pieces of the white meat into our hand . A little salt & pepper would have been nice to have on hand , and it had a sweet flakey texture .

As for the bannock , we were intoduced to it from a very nice Cree Indian fellow at Moose River Crossing ,who took us into his nice home and  showed us how simple it was to make bannock . Add some raisons or dried cranberries  and fry it in a little butter .....it's like pancakes but firmer and kids would like it with honey , maple syrup , jam , etc.

google it up ..... so quick & easy ....We took extra in our back packs as we meandered through the woods for the day .

On 7/13/2022 at 9:37 AM, Davidp16 said:

Hi everyone, I'm looking into going bullfrog harvesting this Friday as it is opener. This will be my first my time ever catching them to eat there juicy legs lol. Is there any good places I could hit up around the niagara region? I'm located out in stevensville. Or if anybody wants to meet up and catch some? Thank you! 

Good luck on your leg hunt . It has been hot and dry lately so some of the ponds may be dried up . Maybe try the Black Creek area and small tribs along the Parkway . If you succeed I hope to see some bully legs on a plate (with fries) !  B)