Cellular trail cameras

Markster

I purchesed the tactacam reveal xb recently and i can’t believe how much progress has been made with these!

Its really easy to setup and has some excellent features. 
It even has a built in wifi network that you can connect your phone to and see what the camera sees so you can position it correctly.

Gone are the days where you set up the camera and wait a week to see that you screwed up the placement. Lol.
Even where i have really lousy cell service the camera seems to work great.

Has anyone else had experience with these?

Looking at purchasing one as well. Do you pay the monthly fee so the pictures are sent to your phone. So much better than trekking through the woods,.contaminating area with scent,  and swapping out SD cards 

Yea, i bought the basic monthly plan to start. You only pay for the months you use it and the tactacam app makes it really simple to elevate your plan or suspend your account when you dont have it out in the field- therefore not getting charged. As soon as you want to use it again you just re-enable the account, again in the app.

Works on both US major carriers - there’s 2 sim cards in the box.
For all of canada you use the AT&T card.

2 minutes ago, Markster said:

Yea, i bought the basic monthly plan to start. You only pay for the months you use it and the tactacam app makes it really simple to elevate your plan or suspend your account when you dont have it out in the field- therefore not getting charged. As soon as you want to use it again you just re-enable the account, again in the app.

Works on both US major carriers - there’s 2 sim cards in the box.
For all of canada you use the AT&T card.

Great info thanks.  Was just looking to purchase online but was worried when I only saw US networks. Do you recall how much the plans are? Definitely gonna grab one 

The plans are very reasonable, especially when you consider you can avoid the cost of fuel needed to normally check cams weekly.

Also, i had a raccoon knock my camera off target a few days ago. I was able to see immediately what had happened from home, so i knew to go fix it. In the past, i would have lost a whole week of activity if something like that happened.

4F52D65D-4F6B-4218-9C64-143E5919FE17.png

• 1 month later...

I purchased a spypoint flex (x2) no issues with connection it picks the best network available at the time and monitors this.  I selected them as they are Canadian somewhat.  Great photos 33MP and video if you want it.  This is the low res that you get through the app.  100 pictures a month free.  I'm not trying to sell these but they are good competition for the tactacam.

image.png

Well thats always a concern. You can disable them via the app, but you still don’t get your camera back.
My unit also contains a built in gps so you can tell where it is if its turned on.

For tactacam you can get a custom steel case that the camera fits into and locks to the tree with one of those locking cables. Even with cable cutters its a workout to cut them down. The price of that steel case is quite reasonable, in the 30 buck range.

The good thing with these are that the camera will pick up the potential thief before it sees the camera so you will get a few photos sent to you of the suspect.  Plus if you live close like me I can be over at my spot fairly quickly to try and intercept them 

Just now, Markster said:

Well thats always a concern. You can disable them via the app, but you still don’t get your camera back.
My unit also contains a built in gps so you can tell where it is if its turned on.

For tactacam you can get a custom steel case that the camera fits into and locks to the tree with one of those locking cables. Even with cable cutters its a workout to cut them down. The price of that steel case is quite reasonable, in the 30 buck range.

I suppose some of those 'thieves' are anti hunters .  In todays world they are prepared better to cut locks and chains using small battery operated  cutting tools . 

The crooks always seem to be one step ahead , even stealing cars easier these days using high tech devices.  By the end of the year they expect to see 2000 cars stolen in T.O.  ....but we will cover the loss through our insurance rates .

...hope you get their mug shots at least and post them on line everywhere you can ! 

On 9/28/2022 at 9:40 AM, Markster said:

Hey mark what sensitivity do you keep camera on to prevent blowing branches etc from setting it off ?