Bait Fish Moving In

smerchly

While looking for schooling minnows I saw some gizzard shad shooling up in the shallows at Port Dal. I  have caught browns with a fresh shad in their mouth in early October . When I was helping out feeding the king salmon smolts at Port Dal. years ago,  the minnows would be waiting to catch to pellets that went through the bottom of the pens . The salmon would be realeaed when the water temps lowered to 14*C , and the minnows and shad were plentiful by that time. 

The browns and kings will soon follow as the shad are arriving now .  We need some cooler weather to help get the the action started .

The water clarity wasn't the best ....took this shot from a movie frame & snipped it to try to get a better view . This school  was churnning up the bottom & had about 50 in class .

SHAD at Port..jpg

4 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Are they still stocking salmon?

I'm not sure since the covid thing in 2019 .... all the construction and pier/harbour rebuilding ,etc.  I went to the SCGFA web site but didn't find much new info .

The boat ramp is operating normally . Maybe a member can update us or get in touch with J.Metrovich for the latest news .

Here's smerch feeding the little smolts way back when .....(from the SCGFA web site) .

Smerch at pens.JPG

...not to confuse the gizzard shad with the alewife or rudd ......  The trout will take the small shad readily , but they cannot be used legallyfor bait . They may reach 16" as Bubba14 posted a photo while back . I have 'snagged' a few over the years too . Their schools can be quite large  . 

Salmon (and rainbows,  browns & lakers) are still stocked by the MNR. The SCGFA still has the Pen project in the spring. Last few years it's been located in the marina.

Those who would like to learn more are welcome to attend the next St Catharines Game and Fish Association general meeting on Mon Oct 24  , 7pm at the clubhouse.  All are welcome and encouraged to attend. 

1 hour ago, The_Fish_Dawg said:

Last few years it's been located in the marina.

They liked the 4 falls because the water was oxygenated by the falls water with sligh current flowing through the pens . We would measure the 'disolved oxygen' in the water . It looked like they still had access in that corner during the construction of the condo , and parking as well . I hope the marina worked well also and easy access to the lake for release . 

Thanks for the update Dawg .

13 hours ago, The_Fish_Dawg said:

Salmon (and rainbows,  browns & lakers) are still stocked by the MNR. The SCGFA still has the Pen project in the spring. Last few years it's been located in the marina.

Those who would like to learn more are welcome to attend the next St Catharines Game and Fish Association general meeting on Mon Oct 24  , 7pm at the clubhouse.  All are welcome and encouraged to attend. 

Great learning tool for sure ..and a great way to give back to our sport.....when I was a trustee on the board for the Stevensville conservation club back in the day ..I had a great time for a few years volunteering with the MNR electro fishing then raising walleye when the Welland river rehab project was going on ....also attended meetings here and the at the scgf....saw parts of the efforts smerch and the others where making there....it's also a great way to meet like minded people .....and nice to hear from you too Tyler...I know it's been a while....I rarely fish the hot weather season hence no reports....lol..

but now that the cool weather is approaching I shall be participating a bunch more.....and nice pic of you there smerch hand feeding the shark cage like that...lol

Those little smolts were like piranhas when it came to feeding time !  The trays were on a timer that advanced the pellets a little each hour to keep waste down .....a very simple idea that worked well .  

I'm also ready for the fall fishing as the fish are looking to put on the fat for winter . This hot humid stuff is for the 'young' guys ....we elders have thinner skin , but during the cold (ice) weather we can add more layers of heat !   

See you later Jack when the minnies come in  !   :Gonefishing:

I'm going to scope out a couple spots tomorrow after work ..will let you know how I make out....I haven't had time to check out any minnow catching spots yet....plan is some lure chucking and floating a worm so far...does Pete's have minnows?

Just now, Jwl1 said:

I'm going to scope out a couple spots tomorrow after work ..will let you know how I make out....I haven't had time to check out any minnow catching spots yet....plan is some lure chucking and floating a worm so far...does Pete's have minnows?

I doubt they would have them at this time during the warm temps. They usually have 2 sizes , larger ones for pike etc. I would call them first .

They also have these nice 6" white soft....... ~~~    B)