Project this afternoon

Jwl1

Hopefully a nice pike or 2...lol..I have a couple spots in mind and some worms to drown also a bunch of lures to get snagged and lose while I'm waiting for the bait....lol....sometimes the bait catching mission takes way longer and more of a toll than the fishing part...haha

Good idea Jack !  I have 2 store bought traps , had them for decades . I have done well using 1/2" pieces of bread & have tied 2 short lines inside with a hook & worm to attract the minnows & chubs. I have about 20 of those baskets which I used for covering young tomato/bean/cuc  plants from animals & birds & sometimes used  the Walmart bags to cover the baskets when a cold night rolls in.

I can make 10 of your traps Jack .....put them on Kijiji for $11.99  (tax free) & make $100 ........ and by myself 4 Raps for pike !

You must remember where the minnies are Jack , I was thinking of doing a trip to the far east myself .

Didn't get out today ..the person that was going with me crapped out on me last minute ..so either way I'm going myself or not in the morning tomorrow...

On 10/1/2022 at 3:28 PM, Jwl1 said:

Didn't get out today ..the person that was going with me crapped out on me last minute ..so either way I'm going myself or not in the morning tomorrow...

Better days ahead Jack . The wind was savage yesterday ...some frost on the garage roof this morning & but better today . ...a few warmer days ahead .

I got my large tank set up today and did a major garage clean up . I'll soon be on the prowel for minnies .  Float rod resady for action !   :Gonefishing:

I really miss going to my buddies house in Fenwick & catching dozens of small 'lively' chubs from his pond . The pike loved them !

Ya .I got up and the wind was brutal so made the choice to go back to bed..lol...no test mission on the trap yet...otherwise...all my gear is set up ready to go

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Better days ahead Jack . The wind was savage yesterday ...some frost on the garage roof this morning & but better today . ...a few warmer days ahead .

I got my large tank set up today and did a major garage clean up . I'll soon be on the prowel for minnies .  Float rod resady for action !   :Gonefishing:

I really miss going to my buddies house in Fenwick & catching dozens of small 'lively' chubs from his pond . The pike loved them !

Smerch try small creeks for chubs. My local creek is full of them. 

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

Thanks Ty ...there is a small trib about 1.5 miles from here where I have caught chubs of all sizes in my barrel trap . Some can be filleted !

5 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Back in the " pike off " days...my chubs came from a ditch on the side of the road...sometimes even broke ice to set the trap.... was great until one day my trap went missing ( guess doing the right thing and leaving my name and phone number attached didn't mean much to them)...that and the fact that it's illegal to tamper with someone's legal means of catching bait.... unfortunately those couple spots I know are a bit out of my neighborhood since moving to st Kitts....lol

Our "ditch" chubs and soft shells were caught from a ditch running from the canal overflow pipe where water trucks and farmers could fill up their big tanks. The excess water ran down a ditch near Avondale on Stewart Rd.  I haven't checked it out in 5 decades or so . The soft shell crayfish caught us a variety fish , especially smallies.

Got out today Bill...nothing major to report...drowned some worms...couple dink perch...a few bluegills and a gobie ..lol...tried to soak the minnow trap for a bit...no minnows to be seen close to shore....any baitfish activity was way out there.....didn't go searching around for bait though...hoping to get out again really soon... depends on the lil woman and my car on work days