Fish Names

smerchly

As a kid we called some fish different names from what we call them now . Here are some ....

Walleye ................Pickerel

Small Mouth Bass .........Black Bass 

Bowfin ..........dog Fish 

Alewife ........Shiner 

Log Perch ......Sand Pike

Burbot ....Ling , eel pout 

Pumpkinseed .....sunfish

Now , "Walleye " makes more sense now because they  have a walleye which glows when a light shines on them in the dark ....

This is my 10 lb. "eye" which I caught ice fishing the B.O.Q. and mounted it using a piece of aluminum foil inside the eye ....hanging in the basement.

Hence , it is a true wall eye .....

Wall Eye.JPG

9 hours ago, smerchly said:

As a kid we called some fish different names from what we call them now . Here are some ....

Walleye ................Pickerel

Small Mouth Bass .........Black Bass 

Bowfin ..........dog Fish 

Alewife ........Shiner 

Log Perch ......Sand Pike

Burbot ....Ling , eel pout 

Pumpkinseed .....sunfish

Now , "Walleye " makes more sense now because they  have a walleye which glows when a light shines on them in the dark ....

This is my 10 lb. "eye" which I caught ice fishing the B.O.Q. and mounted it using a piece of aluminum foil inside the eye ....hanging in the basement.

Hence , it is a true wall eye .....

Wall Eye.JPG

the common name Walleye was not adopted till 1933 so perhaps that is why you called them Pickeral in your younger days  https://ontariowalleyefishing.com/ontario-walleye-biology-fishing-resource/

Good info Dave . I became a "walleye" member in 1943 when Dad called them  pickerel , and I still have a tendency to call them pickerel when speaking with other 'old timers' .

Now they could have called them  " white caudal fins "  ha !

I fished the 12 Mile with Dad when I was 7-9 yrs .old and we caught "blues" .  ....about 1950 .  At that time fish from Lake Ont. could easily run the length of the 12 through the locks at P.Dalhousie.  

31 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

Old timer I fished with called them Yellows. That was from when there was yellows and blues in lake Erie.

I have always wondered if those 'blues' could survive going through the Decew hydro turbines to get into the 12 ...

Lake Gibson - Moody is fed by L.Erie via the Welland Ship Canal .

At one time Moody was full of silver bass as we caught them from the string of 'rafts' that acted as a boom for the canal intakes . (very dangerous)

Just now, genec said:

I always thought pickerel was the Canadian name for them and walleye just the yankee version.

I agree  ,  the yanks have called them walleye for years , but they also have a chain pickerel that  is a type of pike to me . (same yapper) 

and the French call the dore which means "coated with gold" 

10 hours ago, Chrisb said:

Old timer I fished with called them Yellows. That was from when there was yellows and blues in lake Erie.

I remember going out of Port Colborne for Blues with dad in the mid fifties , they were a small pickeral , average a pound and a half maybe rarely over 2, we would anchor deep water much like perching today and use minnows. Yellows were a trolling game , June Bug spinners were popular with a worm on the hook, they pulled like crazy for a 6 year old

edit: we called them Blue Pickerel the Yanks from Buffalo called them Blue Pike

Just now, Jwl1 said:

When I was a kid there was a group of Americans that used to frequent a spot I fished....they fished for crappie and used to call them calicos 

We also called them calico bass Jack . I actually like that name better than crapp peas.

A black friend I fished with called the " crawpies " .  

Also , when we were kids we called crayfish  "crabs" . We caught dozens in a man made pond we called "Colin Davidson's Pond" which is now filled with houses.

I'm going back over 70 years ago Jack ! 

When I was in Louisiana they called crayfish "mud bugs"  or "crawdads" and liked to put them in a "boil" with corn on the cob and taters.

We caught blues off Lowbanks until the seventies.

"Pickerel" were caught trolling by rowing.....no outboards in those days and men were men. And it was a June Bug spinner with a Yellow Sally and a worm.

Smallmouths were brown bass in New Brunswick.