Wind & More Wind !

smerchly

Is this March or November...same winds and temperatures . The wind was nuts today at P.Dal. and some guy had to be rescued as he jumped on his kite on the 80 km winds at the beach at Port D.  The weather people say we have more warm temps and lots of strong winds ahead this week . Dec.1 looks like a windy , 60*F. day ( if you can believe reports that far ahead ) . I need to put some of those big lead sinkers they use for walleye tournies inside my boots !   

Sure was ..it was getting pretty nasty by the time we left... All part of the adventure Bill..despite it was still nice to get out with you for a few hundred casts...lol...we are due for one in the net..0 for 2 for you and 0 for 1 for me so far...not bad considering one day was pre big snowstorm and today was the gales of November for sure...shoot me a message next time you plan to get out and we will put a beating on the fish

6 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

Sure was ..it was getting pretty nasty by the time we left... All part of the adventure Bill..despite it was still nice to get out with you for a few hundred casts...lol...we are due for one in the net..0 for 2 for you and 0 for 1 for me so far...not bad considering one day was pre big snowstorm and today was the gales of November for sure...shoot me a message next time you plan to get out and we will put a beating on the fish

We probably would have done much better with the 'golden entree' .  and the high nw wind took the ounce from the bounce as the rods bent and lines bowed  . It sure was 'challenging' to say the least .  I expected "some" wind , but that was a little 'overboard'  !  

11 minutes ago, steelshady said:

I spent the afternoon on the lower, got into a huge school of out of season lakers, non-stop action until my arms gave inn, was fishing for bows with no luck.  

Nice...my best day ever for that was 17 Lakers and 8 steelies in the mix....all on white twisters....too bad that particular spot will never be the same after the tunnel project keeps the river high all the time....but I bet you where at least blocked from the wind

I now call it the "Windy Planet".As a fly fisherman for 29 years now and a Kayak fisherman you tend to really pay attention to the wind..I've got used to fly casting in the wind but the amount of safe kayak days on the Great Lakes have greatly reduced..

You can deny global warming all you want but weather change is very real.Most of the fishing venues I do, I have to pick solely on the strength of the wind and direction, It has become a pita....

41 minutes ago, Dave said:

I now call it the "Windy Planet".As a fly fisherman for 29 years now and a Kayak fisherman you tend to really pay attention to the wind..I've got used to fly casting in the wind but the amount of safe kayak days on the Great Lakes have greatly reduced..

You can deny global warming all you want but weather change is very real.Most of the fishing venues I do, I have to pick solely on the strength of the wind and direction, It has become a pita....

I try to find spots to fish according to wind direction as I have done this passed week . Having the wind at your back makes long casts easier . When fishing off shore for channel cats & carp we keep the tip of the rods close to the water (some guys have the tip under the water using bait runner reels) 

I have always wondered what effect cutting down our trees (forests) have on the winds . I seems that asphault is warmer than moss ......

I have never seen so many garbage pails and recycle bins heading north down our street !   

But, nothing compares to the blizz of 77 , yet .....   

Dress warm .

Very low SE wind today , lots of guys fishing the east bank ,as usual . Very high winds expected for Wednesday . Fishing was slow today (fish non existant) on my line ....

losing my touch ..... losing my mind ...  :huh:

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Very low SE wind today , lots of guys fishing the east bank ,as usual . Very high winds expected for Wednesday . Fishing was slow today (fish non existant) on my line ....

losing my touch ..... losing my mind ...  :huh:

I’m wishing for a skunk. That would mean at least I’d be out fishing. I hope to get out very soon. Smerch if you’re out tomorrow don’t forget the lead in your boots. 

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

I’m wishing for a skunk. That would mean at least I’d be out fishing. I hope to get out very soon. Smerch if you’re out tomorrow don’t forget the lead in your boots. 

I have 2 deep cycle batteries for each ankle . Think I'll stay home tomorrow .....but it might be ok to fish the gorge in spots ....

A few days ago the wind was raw enough at Port Dal .,even when the sun come out ....got this shot of T.O. from the pier  with my wee camera.......

And the other shot was taken from a local L.Erie resident of the big storm last week. Some people think it was 'doctored' but he took several shots and got this menacing man in the sky .....

Toronto skyline.JPG

Erie Storm Face.JPG

18 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I have 2 deep cycle batteries for each ankle . Think I'll stay home tomorrow .....but it might be ok to fish the gorge in spots ....

A few days ago the wind was raw enough at Port Dal .,even when the sun come out ....got this shot of T.O. from the pier  with my wee camera.......

And the other shot was taken from a local L.Erie resident of the big storm last week. Some people think it was 'doctored' but he took several shots and got this menacing man in the sky .....

Toronto skyline.JPG

Erie Storm Face.JPG

Nice Toronto pic. I seen the god of Lake Erie pic floating around on  The internet.  

On 11/29/2022 at 12:38 PM, smerchly said:

losing my touch

So ,   we lost 3 fish on the streamers . I'm thinking they nip the fly from the back end of the streamer & not getting enough hook into the mouth .

I'm not much of a fly guy  but I remember using the smaller flies like the rainbow coloured "silver doctor" , probably made with rainbow trout in mind ...

We fished them in small local creeks in the shallow 'rapids' at Jackson Flats & a stream on the east side of the GM plant 2 on Glendale for browns . That stream is now a road.

Looking at pictures of the silver doctor , this one may get more hook ups ,but will also hook bottom more unless a corkie is added ....

I was using a streamer fly similiar to the 'doctor' but lost both fish ....maybe try adding a small 'stinger'  ?  

Silver Doctor.JPG

25 minutes ago, smerchly said:

So ,   we lost 3 fish on the streamers . I'm thinking they nip the fly from the back end of the streamer & not getting enough hook into the mouth .

I'm not much of a fly guy  but I remember using the smaller flies like the rainbow coloured "silver doctor" , probably made with rainbow trout in mind ...

We fished them in small local creeks in the shallow 'rapids' at Jackson Flats & a stream on the east side of the GM plant 2 on Glendale for browns . That stream is now a road.

Looking at pictures of the silver doctor , this one may get more hook ups ,but will also hook bottom more unless a corkie is added ....

I was using a streamer fly similiar to the 'doctor' but lost both fish ....maybe try adding a small 'stinger'  ?  

Silver Doctor.JPG

Lost 3 fish? At least you had some action. I always add a corkie when bottom bouncing streamers. 

Another windy night and high winds today . The gales of November came 'late' as it's December 2 today . 

But we did use the snowblowers in November  !  Many people didn't have to rake their leaves as the winds cleared their properties 

and blew them northward down the street .  But I still had 10 large compost bags of maple leaves to pulverize with notta maple 

on my property. ( good compost for the dewies )  B) 

and no mosquitos.....

Stopped by today at Port D and fished that spot Smerch around noon for about 30 min, was testing a 13-float foot rod for bottom bouncing that was tied by Cliff, the stick performed well and will use it at Port for bottom. Was cold as ice but guys were out fishing, water not that bad, should be a good day next few days. 

Nice current there , but like  most spots be ready to lose some baits on bottom . I found a 5/8 oz. weight was just enough to bounce nicely .

I made up some rigs to try ,  added a small spinner to get their attention . 

I remember using the 'old' black fury spinner with a worm for splake years ago ( north) ,,,,  had a blast with the light gear ! 

Alway worth trying something new....     Hope you have good luck with that 13 footer !  :Gonefishing:

On 12/3/2022 at 9:57 AM, smerchly said:

Another windy night and high winds today . The gales of November came 'late' as it's December 2 today . 

But we did use the snowblowers in November  !  Many people didn't have to rake their leaves as the winds cleared their properties 

and blew them northward down the street .  But I still had 10 large compost bags of maple leaves to pulverize with notta maple 

on my property. ( good compost for the dewies )  B) 

and no mosquitos.....

Wind just keeps filling our yard.  Last Tuesday was a great fishing day. Everything since has sucked.