Float Line

smerchly

While fishing recently for pike, using a slip float I decided to use my old 8' custom salmon rod which has a lively tip . I also used my old 4000 Stradic loaded with 20lb braid . When the line is wet it doesn't cast as far as I'd like . I have another spool loaded with 15 lb. mono which I haven't tried yet . So the ? is ....in cold temps just over freezing (like today) what line would give me the best distance ? I was also thinking to put a stopper on both sides of the float to get more distance . 

I would think Mono would cast farther Smerch, Myself 10 Lb. would be better, plus cold, the mono would have a little curl.

Maybe I'm not reading your setup right, putting a stop on both sides of your bobber it wouldn't be a slip float??

Plus if you have some distance from the float and weight and bait it would cast a little Wurly Bird, tangle.

Thanks FF  ,  in this case the water is only 4 -5 ft.deep . When casting the slip float it rides up the line a few feet and it seems to cause the weight (shots) to drop faster . When I add one small shot at the top of the float it keeps the float at a constant spot and still enables a fish to pull the float under easily . I could use a regular fixed float , the floats I'm using are shaped like a pear and quite heavy .  My 10'6" rod has 10# mono and casts the floats out more, I'll try the 8' with the same mono next time.

It's always fun to see that float "disappear"    :Gonefishing:

I personally only ever run a slip float if I'm fishing depths as deep or deeper than my rod length.  If fishing 4 to 5ft depths, I don't think you're seeing any advantages by using a slip float.  

If you do run a slip float, a simple string and bead stopper would work fine.  I run a small bead or a small section of silicone tubing under the slip float as a barrier between any weights or barrel swivels.  It freely moves up and down the line, without all the wear and tear on the bottom of the float.

With a fixed float and a proper shot pattern, it should cast quite far.  With fresh line. 

All really spot on advice in above posts. Proper shot pattern like said above is critical for cast distance although sometimes a bulk shot is needed to get down in fast currents quickly which usually is a compromise with casting. As for line Fireline crystal is hands down the best float line I have ever used and I keep it on at least one of my centerpins and a few spin reels at all times. For mono Suffix Seige 10 lb is about the best float line I have used

2 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

Smerch do you think we'll get ice for Smelt fishing this year, love a good feed.👍

That was fun catching those little morsels. Maybe we'll meet up one day👍

Fishing for smelts ar Ramies was always fun and usually productive  enough to enjoy them for a dinner or two . 

Catching them at Dain City is another 'animal' when they're down 30 feet below the ice .....very light gear needed ! 

If I hear they are 'running'  , I'll give you a shout and meet you out there .

17 hours ago, smerchly said:

Fishing for smelts ar Ramies was always fun and usually productive  enough to enjoy them for a dinner or two . 

Catching them at Dain City is another 'animal' when they're down 30 feet below the ice .....very light gear needed ! 

Thanks Smerch, lets keep our fingers crossed, My stepson lives in Dain City now👍

21 hours ago, smerchly said:

I went by Rameys 2 days ago and it is wide open. Nuttin but water. Might hafta go to Magnetewan with a net at breakup.

2 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

Thanks Smerch, lets keep our fingers crossed, My stepson lives in Dain City now👍

Thanks FF  he can save us a trip and give you a shout when he sees people on the ice ,   B)

Just now, boogaloo said:

I went by Rameys 2 days ago and it is wide open. Nuttin but water. Might hafta go to Magnetewan with a net at breakup.

I hope to see you again at Martindale soon Boogs !    :Gonefishing: