Erie Bass Opener

Dave

I usually avoid Bass opener weekends and especially Sunday but didn't have many choices this week.Fished from 7 am to 2:30 and had lookers, bumps, hit and spit, jump and throw….At the end of the day I think I actually touched 4 Bass with my hand..I found the numbers of sighted fish way down. Might have seen only 3-4 Bass guarding nests and none paired up..Those days are gone.Keep in mind I fly fish out of a kayak for the first few weeks but dont really feel disadvantaged at all..I know every year is different and more fish could show up tomorrow..But years ago typical days in the first two weeks of Bass season would be 15-30 fish all on the fly...Nesting Bass would still be every where in the shallows. 

How did everyone else do?

You are very right Dave! I noticed this year was not as good as last year! Only got 2 myself! They were not as loaded in this spot as last year but like you said every day is different! 

Most likely due to the warm winter/spring the fish probably spawned earlier than usual.  I was catching out of season bass after bass up to 5 lbs in late April above the Peace bridge while float fishing for Trout, we were catching up to 20 fish in a few hours and had to change locations since it became a nuisance.  

Apparently the Bass are still in the same shallow spots I used to fish.I've moved on from those spots in the last few years feeling that there are still Bass guarding nests.Also became no challenge at all like shooting fish in a barrel..Part of the fun with the fly rod is sighting and stalking them...Didn't see a lot roaming where I was but I'm sure things can change day by day.... All I can say is the fishery has changed quite a bit over the years.My observations of course..

My son and I got out to Pt. Abino today for the first time, and we caught 3 bass in 3 hours in 10-12 feet of water at our usual honey hole weed bed area.  The biggest was a lovely fat 19” that I guestimated at about 4 Lbs. (My Rapala scale battery was dead).  Didnt mark that many fish on the fishfinder either. Only saw 2 kayaks and 1 boat bass fishing this morning, which surprised us considering it was the first decent day since the opener.