Lawnmower repair

smerchly

My 4 year old mower ,a Troy Bilt with a Honda motor broke while mowing the grass .The rear height adjuster broke off & the whole rear axle must be replaced . 

So I looked for local places but not much around here so I took it to Philbrooks in Vineland where it should take about 7 work days to get the parts . I bought it for $350 and 

a new one would be close to $600 with the tax added . So it's cheaper to repair in this case . I have the old style push mower in the meantime ....it works well .

So , on the way there I checked the 20 Mile Cr. at Jordan and the water looks like muck rushing under the bridge at hwy 8 !  I "was" going to try for carp at J.Harbour but I'll give it a few days or so before 

fishing there unless I want to fish for cats and mud puppies .

We have had a lot of rain here and I see the 12 Mile is also muddy . ( hope they find the young man soon) 

Any word on the River for water clairity ?  I think many of our local spots will need some time to clear up .

I fished the harbour this morning (a couple of 10" bass) and it was stained a bit, but not unfishable. Didn't check The Pond today. Jordan, shouldn't be worse than normal. I say go out and give a go.

HOWEVER, I believe being a holiday weekend, all fishing spots will be busy.

That was my first thought but it broke at the main pressure point and where the thin metal adjuster has small indentations to lock it into place .

The so called rear axle is just a 1/4" rod with the adjuster on one side ....very "chintzy" made ....supposedly in the USA (Troy Bilt)

The labour should take no more than 10 minutes ......

this is my lawn mower showing how to change the rear axle .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpyLGSs3n_s&ab_channel=RepairClinic.com

Damn, I'm just seeing this now. It sounds like you have the same mower as my son and his broke last week. He ordered the axle from a place on Cushman Rd, had it in a couple of days and it took about 5 minutes to make the switch.

It's an easy fix Scott , I didn't know about the place on Cushman Rd.  I always took my yard machines to Pete Nepirly on 1st Louth .He knew small engines iside -out and was a great person . (RIP) 

I'll get them to do a once over ,it may be time for a new plug and air filter  . 

I'll have to be extra careful when adjusting those cheaply made adjusters, they can snap off easily .

Yes Dave ,brand names don't mean much anymore . Our vehicles are full of parts made in China , I believe my 50HP Merc is now made there now.

I looked for any lables on my mower to see if the typical "made in China) sticker was there .....but notta...

Things are made to have a shorter lifespan so we need to buy another.....and fill up our dump sites .My 27" Hitachi TV is 34 yrs.old & still kicking.(not watched much now)

and I was made in Canada 80 yrs ago and still kickin ...    ☘️