Canvas Top Cleaner

smerchly

My boats canvas top has mould or some other grime on the top . I tried spray 9 & Dove dish soap but they dodn't touch it . I got some mildew cleaner that has bleach and with a little elbow grease it took about 90% off a small patch but I'm leary about the bleach harming the canvas .(rinsed it quickly)  It worked great on the top of the trailer but it's a thick vinyl . 

Any suggestions on a good cleaner for stained canvas ? You can see the little patch where I cleaned most of it ...bottom left.

image.jpeg 

Just now, Tyler0420 said:

Would a pressure washer take it off?

That may work with a good cleaner in the water . The mildew/bleach cleaner will clean it using a car wash brush and plenty of elbow grease . My gas pressure washer hasn't run since 2019 ....it might be toast , but worth a shot !  I want to make it look pretty when it goes up for sale soon . I was leary on Erie with it as it's only 15.5 ft

I will pull out the washer and put fresh gas in it... need to watch the backlash from the starter rope !

I would stay away from the pressure washer. Too easy to put holes right through it. I have not erected my vinyl top in the 8 years I've had my boat. It stays rolled up in its compartment at the rear of the boat. One day I checked in and it was covered in mold. Spray Nine heavy duty marine cleaner did a wonderful job and was very easy to use.

I put the top up when fishing with my wife to keep out of the sun , or when fishing solo I could swing the seat around and stay under the top while drifting for eyes. I finally pulled out the gas pressure washer , changed the oil and put new gas in ,ready to start ....but I would keep the nozzle a couple of feet away from the canvas ....it's a 2000 psi.

I have some of that marine spray 9 that cleaned up the transom like new ....good stuff !  Thanks for the tip .

What type of material is it smerch? I’ve had good luck on vinyl with diluted mean green and one of those finger scrub brushes.

however, I’m not sure that would be good on canvas.
Whatever you use, expect to retreat the material with 303 aerospace protectant to make the water bead off.

Just now, Markster said:

What type of material is it smerch? I’ve had good luck on vinyl with diluted mean green and one of those finger scrub brushes.

however, I’m not sure that would be good on canvas.
Whatever you use, expect to retreat the material with 303 aerospace protectant to make the water bead off.

It's canvas Mark and still in good shape .  I'm sure the pwer washer won't clean it as the dirt needs to be brushed ,rinsed and brushed more until it's clean . I have a large spray can of canvas protector with silicone.  I want to do that on a cloudy day or evening....too hot in the sun as of now.

I have plenty of Borax Mark ....been using it for many decades for curing the skins on the birds and fish before mounting them . It is a harmless natural substance and some people have mixed it with water and drank it for stomach ailments , but I never injested it ...only baking soda.

I'll give it a try when the sun is off the top ...I prefer natural cleaners , and blondes....B)