RATS

bigugli

There has been a new surge in the population in the old Welland/Lake area.  Probably due to them tearing up the water system on Lake, and also the demolition of the Garden City arena. We also have chicken coops in our neighbourhood. Tween the one neighbour and I we have killed over a dozen in the past week. and had way more traps tripped and emptied. I hope the rat candy is having an effect.  This is way worse than the West Hill

When they demolished the GM plant it sent rats loose on the surrounding hood  .  I thought chicken coops were illegal in the city . They do draw rats as well as skunks , squirrels ,rabbits , possums , and I have caught rats in my squirrel traps. Rats will eat many other foods from bird seed to tomatoes .

When I baited my spring rat traps with food like chicken or raw bacon I tied the bait with string . They will tug on the string and set off the trap at the right moment , usually a quick kill on the head or neck .  

10 hours ago, smerchly said:

When they demolished the GM plant it sent rats loose on the surrounding hood  .  I thought chicken coops were illegal in the city . They do draw rats as well as skunks , squirrels ,rabbits , possums , and I have caught rats in my squirrel traps. Rats will eat many other foods from bird seed to tomatoes .

When I baited my spring rat traps with food like chicken or raw bacon I tied the bait with string . They will tug on the string and set off the trap at the right moment , usually a quick kill on the head or neck .  

Good idea about tying the food to the trap 

There are people who feed the squirrels ,birds ect. ( bird seed ,  peanuts, bread , left overs) and rats will raid gardens when they are hungry .When I had my huge apple tree I had a zoo here ! We saw 9 rats eating tree fall apples when there was  some snow on the ground. I got rid of the tree and the 2 plastic compost barrels that they chewed through .

Good luck Bruce ,  maybe they can smell your salsa !

On 8/4/2023 at 12:42 PM, smerchly said:

There are people who feed the squirrels ,birds ect. ( bird seed ,  peanuts, bread , left overs) and rats will raid gardens when they are hungry .When I had my huge apple tree I had a zoo here ! We saw 9 rats eating tree fall apples when there was  some snow on the ground. I got rid of the tree and the 2 plastic compost barrels that they chewed through .

Good luck Bruce ,  maybe they can smell your salsa !

We had nothing last year. Now they are all over the neighbourhood.  We are getting good at killing the buggers.  Maybe I'll tackle the surplus population of squirrels next.

I trapped 50 squirrels in one season about 5 years ago and we still have a million of them .They breed like rats ! There is a walnut tree next door and it was loaded with nuts last year but looks nutless this year . I'll give them your addy Bruce ......   :)

• 5 months later...

I’m lucky here in Welland.

we live at the end of a small dead end street with a park just behind that has a wooded area.

We have a family of 5 foxes living in there, and haven’t seen a rat or mouse in the past few years!
Really nice to have a live pest control crew in the neighbourhood!!