Car in sickbay

smerchly

Took the 06 G6 in to get a few repairs 3 days ago ...waiting to hear from them when it's done. The power steering was 'groaning' but there's no fluid reservoir as it's electric . A tie rod needs replacing and a front disc pad is seized on the inside . They went over the car and sent me a list of 12 things to do , like new plugs , tranny flush , surp.belt, etc etc.

Turns out I need a full brake job ( brakes were all new about 12,000 km ago) and it's driven less than 1000k per year ....only 1000 k the last 3 yrs....just turned 70,000k after 17 years lol

I'm looking at approx. $3500 ...don't think it's worth more than that ....  

...looking at the 'bright side" It would cost more in taxes alone to buy a new vehicle which will never happen and I don't play the lottery . 

:th_fudd:........🚕

I was going to break the costs into 2 visits . The tranny flush , plugs , belt. and rust protection could wait until November but we decided to do it all now since the car is in the shop .  Costs today have pretty well doubled with taxes added . A serpentine belt costs about $300 installed for this little 4 banger. 

My 97 Astro is 26 years old , just a young pup !

How do you need new brakes after 12000km? I needed new ones after 90000km.  Make sure to service your brakes annually. I like to service mine 1-2 times a year I’ve noticed they last way longer. Nothing seizes up. 
vehicles are made to be driven though they don’t like to be sitting around. 

1 minute ago, Tyler0420 said:

vehicles are made to be driven though they don’t like to be sitting around. 

That's what they told me  .  My wife hasn't driven this year after they took her license until she goes for the drivers exam, so I only use it for short runs , like a 3 min.drive to the grocery store or bank .  It's really not worth keeping but it has been very reliable and I have only replaced the rear springs ( pot holes) ?

And it saves me from taking the van for short runs as I use it for long distance runs , like fishing at Jordan .....😁