Hunting coyotes this year

Dan Andrews

I've decided to hunt coyotes this year. There's definitely an abundance of them and many other hunters give me the cold shoulder as if I'm not doing my part. 

That said I know it's illegal to hunt with deer hunting gear without a current tag but I'd be using the same bow and broadheads. Aside from calls what are the main differences in gear? 

Killed my first yote this year and have since let his brother and hunting partner walk twice now. However my son finally wants to take up meat harvesting so I figured we can hone in our bow and stealth skills in the off season. 

Any advice is appreciated. 😎

Screenshot_20231231-152918.png

As far as i know there is nothing illegal about hunting coyotes with deer hunting equipment as long as you have a small game tag.
Season for coyotes is open all year as far as i know.

Why do you believe its illegal Dan? Am i missing something?

9 minutes ago, Markster said:

As far as i know there is nothing illegal about hunting coyotes with deer hunting equipment as long as you have a small game tag.

I agree. I was out deer hunting this morning and shot 2 coyotes with my crossbow. It's common practice if you are deer hunting to shoot coyotes. As far as gear, what you can use depends on the area you're hunting. I like electric callers for yotes and also own an electric rabbit that shakes around to get their attention. 

3 hours ago, Markster said:

Darryl, ive looked at those shaky rabbit things but always wondered if they work. Whats your experience with them? Do they actually focus their attention?

It definitely brings them in, coupled with the rabbit in distress sounds. Usually they figure it out before they actually get to the decoy, but by then they usually have a round through them. Sometimes they will just sit and stare at it wondering what's going on which just gives you a few extra seconds to get a shot off 

On 1/1/2024 at 10:09 AM, Markster said:

Darryl, ive looked at those shaky rabbit things but always wondered if they work. Whats your experience with them? Do they actually focus their attention?

I don't have too much free time to target the Coyotes but if your hunting from the ground...take a spool of fishing line...tie it off to a coat hanger or type of spring and use any type furry stuffed child's or pet toy from the dollar store and give it small pulls to simulate wounded or dying prey while calling if you don't want to purchase an e caller....can have it any distance just can't pull more than a few inches....can also create a secure base that will not move but I just used a coat hanger...blasted one at 30 yards right in the face with my 12 guage and 00 buck

On 12/31/2023 at 3:43 PM, Markster said:

Well I know I can't be in the field with deer hunting equipment during the shotgun. Guys get caught in treestands with their bow hunting gear by shotgunners every year according to one source I knew. If a CO did happen to show up and deer were out of season or you didn't have a deer tag and it "looks" like you're hunting deer they may call it. I'd hunt coyote the same way. Find their most traveled routes, camo up and wait patiently. Maybe bait the area regularly at certain times. Then put a fixed blade through them. I guess not having any fall offs or bleat calls might be convincing enough. 

As for calling I have a friend with the e-caller spinny decoy and he says it's gold with a rabbit in distress call. He knows a guy who pays for pelts. Full price for skins or half price for unskinned. 

Tyler a coyote is considered a fur bearing mammal so it is illegal to allow the pelt to spoil but I've found coyote piles before. You smell them long before you see them. Grabbed a skull from one pile and boiled and bleached it up. Mades for a nice ornament in the china cabinet! Some guys even toss them in the bushes behind other hunters treestands to scare off their deer