Tall Grass

I've been searching for more info on this invasive plant and found this today .....

This stuff is spreading rapidly and has reached the Ottawa region now .

I remember the stories about the loosestrife weed invading our waters  but it is no comparison to this weed (from Asia) 

Some of my shore fishing spots are blocked solid by this weed which grows over 15 feet . I have used the bamboo like stems for my tomato plants .

I bought a hacksaw holder with a blade at the $ store today which cuts this stuff down quickly which I'll carry in my back pack .

I doubt if we can get rid of it , there's a price to pay with world trade  .... 

link seems like it won't open but it opened for me in the incognito window.....  WheresTheFish ! 

https://www.qnetnews.ca/?p=82801  

2 hours ago, bigugli said:

Phragmite grasses have been around a long time. Nothing new  in this. Same with loosestrife, polkweed, yellow iris, rock snot, etc...  Once established you cannot turn back the clock.

I have not noticed much of in the past Bruce , just saw the 'bull rushes' at most spots like Jordan Harbour . These tall grasses are everywhere now , saw thick growths along the 12 Mile valley at the foot of the slopes where water runs off . They are thick beside the sidewalk just down the street north of my house at the bottom of the short hill . I had a small bunch growing in my front yard for shading a window & what a chore digging them out with roots 3 feet deep. ( pick axe )

38 minutes ago, smerchly said:

I have not noticed much of in the past Bruce , just saw the 'bull rushes' at most spots like Jordan Harbour . These tall grasses are everywhere now , saw thick growths along the 12 Mile valley at the foot of the slopes where water runs off . They are thick beside the sidewalk just down the street north of my house at the bottom of the short hill . I had a small bunch growing in my front yard for shading a window & what a chore digging them out with roots 3 feet deep. ( pick axe )

A lot along the creeks and roadside ditches through Lincoln, West Lincoln, and through the Grand R. and Welland R. watersheds

• 3 weeks later...

I've sat on a stepladder in stands if this while hunting deer. This stuff is so noisy you don't have to worry about moving in it. It literally sounds like a deer is crashing through near you at the slightest breeze.