HACKED !?

This morning while I was checking a weather video a few alerts popped up and froze my PC . Nothing would work except a little  box saying I must call Microsoft to get instructions how to fix the problem . I couldn't get back on line so I shut down & pulled the plug from the wall . I waited 10 min ., and still could not go on line . I was going to call the Geeks but decided to wait until Monday or later . Four hours later I booted up to look over some photos from my desktop which were still available ,  then tried to get on line .....and here I am !! 

I don't know what to make of it , never had this before,  so maybe by chance, anyone here have a "glitch" happen to their PC today ?

NEVER call the number that claims it will help you. 99.9% likely its the cause of the problem.

If in doubt, look up the number online (another computer or cell phone).  See what comes up.

It was nothing to do with microsoft. It was a hijack attempt. You did the correct thing.

Now I would recommend a complete scan of your pc with your antivirus and possibly malware bytes. Boot into safe mode and run the scans.

On another similar note, never open emails you are not familiar with. Look at the receipients....most likely a variation of your email.

If something comes in that may seem legit (they're sneaky like this), NEVER click their links.

In the past year I've received a dozen on so similar emails claim they've hacked my computer and have all my audio and video recordings of myself on pr0n sites.

They want  a typical 1200 in Bitcoin. Jokes on them as I don't have a camera or microphone on my computer.

Just report anything suspicious as PHISHING. I doubt anything is done except blocking that one email. 

Have two emails. One for junk stuff (like forums, subscribing to newsletters, buy//sell sites, etc) and one for legit/admin stuff that's important enough to attach your real name to.

My legit one never has had junk emails and such.

2 hours ago, Port_D_Guy said:

Have two emails. One for junk stuff (like forums, subscribing to newsletters, buy//sell sites, etc) and one for legit/admin stuff that's important enough to attach your real name to

Only two. I have 7 or 8.

Thanks for the info guys , I have a suspicion who sent  the hack . As I have posted previously I'm involved in a class action law suit about my rental furnace . OEG called me a few days ago asking for my email address as my gas provider will no longer be adding the rental charges to my gas bills. They want to set up a direct billing of their own to bill me for the rental . I have been paying them for 10 years and they want another 5 years more . I asked him for a price to pay off the furnace & he said a "ball park" figure of $3000.

I gave him my email so he could send me a written price and I would send them a certified check  , but he was still trying to keep me paying for the 5 remaining years . I didn't get the email from them ......after 5 days I got hacked ....coincidence ?  

I'm sure I'll hear from them again since I made no plans to set up an account on line .

and I only have 2 email accounts but rarely get mail from the old cogeco account .....