cell phones

Revisiting this topic as I have run into some programs that require a cell phone to activate them.

What is the cheapest way to get a phone? I just need minimal data and texting to get the security codes when logging in.

What plans are recommended that work everywhere? I know freedom does not work in an area I attend often(rural Fenwick). I also see my neighbours along north shore Erie walking north down the driveway to get signal.

Speakout through 7-11 is a cheap way to go.

you just buy their SIM card, then you can pay-as-you-go….you can top up for $25, $50, or $100 whenever you need to.

They piggyback on the Rogers network, so pretty extensive coverage Canada-wide.

I used them for several years before we switched to Virgin.

29 minutes ago, genec said:

Speakout through 7-11 is a cheap way to go.

you just buy their SIM card, then you can pay-as-you-go….you can top up for $25, $50, or $100 whenever you need to.

They piggyback on the Rogers network, so pretty extensive coverage Canada-wide.

I used them for several years before we switched to Virgin.

Pros?

Cons?

51 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

Revisiting this topic as I have run into some programs that require a cell phone to activate them.

What is the cheapest way to get a phone? I just need minimal data and texting to get the security codes when logging in.

What plans are recommended that work everywhere? I know freedom does not work in an area I attend often(rural Fenwick). I also see my neighbours along north shore Erie walking north down the driveway to get signal.

Can you get the security codes through email?

Their cheapest plan is $25 per month, and, if you check their website, they will often give an extra $25 topup if you make a $100 payment, so $125 for $100.  I only used my phone for calls and texts, and never had any service issues with them, and good area coverage…..just rare signal drops occasionally when driving, but didn’t happen often.

2 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Can you get the security codes through email?

Some can. Some will phone your land line and speak the code. One place will only allow me one phone number on the system and If I'm not at home I can't get the code. So In the summer at the cottage I can't log into that site.

The last one that gave me trouble wanted me to install an app to generate codes and the support desk said the app was not supported on desktops only phone or pads.

@genec What company/plan is that?

What about an actual phone? Where is the best deal on them? I don't have friends upgrading to get their old phone.

I have the Alcatel One Touch .....very primitive , need to press some letters 3x  to text but I never text with it . I punch in phone numbers as well .lol

I can't hear it ring when in my pocket and the vibrating caller is very weak . I bought it mostly for emergencies (911)  at 7-11

I paid about $125. for it about 5 years ago & that included 100 minutes of time over one year . 

I top it up every year for $35  and seldom use over 40% of the available time .

But the battery only lasts one day even when not in use & I may look at getting a new battery (if possible) or a new phone .

There are "special" phones available for seniors with bad eyes ,ears ,low tech skills , and foggy memories .