Gave It Another Go This Morning...

Tried another spot. Water still murky, but enough current and depth to hopefully get something.

I used a larger bucktail fly (can't remember name) that floats really well (used as strike indicator) and added a 18" dropper to a beadhead nymph.

Caught four white perch in the current seem.

I changed the bead head for something more creature looking, maybe slightly larger, and caught nothing.

Went back to the beadhead and caught the 5th white perch and packed it in.

Learned something. How picky they can be and the spot they came out of.

9 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

That’s awesome you got into some fish. Any tug on a fly rod is a good one.  

On a 4wt they felt larger than they were. lol

Those white perch must be spawning there. I'll go back when it clears up a bit.

They have big runs of white perch at Quinte and one could have a blast catching them with a fly rod . 

The same goes for silver bass . There were heavy runs of them at the River and Port  Dal. Harbour . We used a Shyster with a yellow fly. 

And ....a lonnnng time ago we used small flies to catch gills and crappies in the St. Catharines  Water Treatment  Reservoir .  (memories) 🥰

4 hours ago, paul said:

It was possibly the depth the fly was fishing at.  the second fly you tried was probably too high in the water column.

I'm happy to see you're having fun

I was using the floater fly more as a strike indicator. I wasn't expecting anything to hit it at that time.

16 hours ago, paul said:

I should have been more specific, I meant the bead head was probably fishing deeper or getting down quicker than the more realistic fly you changed it for.

Yeah, possibly, but the nymph sinks, but it had no flash and a bit larger. Maybe the beadhead was the size / colour of what they'd be eating in there?

You may very well be right.  Broadly speaking there are two trains of thought in fly fishing ...... pattern v presentation.  The pattern guys think that only a specific fly will catch fish, the presentation folks think the depth of presentation and speed of retrieve (from 0 - 10) is more important than the actual pattern (within reason).  And they both catch fish.  Discovering which camp you fall into is part of the journey ...... the only correct answer is, whichever brings you the most pleasure.

From this morning, I tried my previous 3 spots. Water a touch lower and nicely stained.

Used the same type flies as last time. Nothing touched the top floater fly, all on the dropper.

Got a couple small smallies. Larger than last time. More white perch, a chub and an 8" steelhead. 

I wish I took a picture of it. Was very silvery and bright white. I thought it was a large shiner at first. Most likely a stocker or natural? I didn't check for the missing fin at the time.

21 hours ago, Port_D_Guy said:

From this morning, I tried my previous 3 spots. Water a touch lower and nicely stained.

Used the same type flies as last time. Nothing touched the top floater fly, all on the dropper.

Got a couple small smallies. Larger than last time. More white perch, a chub and an 8" steelhead. 

I wish I took a picture of it. Was very silvery and bright white. I thought it was a large shiner at first. Most likely a stocker or natural? I didn't check for the missing fin at the time.

Nice to see ya putting fish on the bank. 
have you tried the dry fly In the evening? I find that’s when most bugs are on the water and the fish are feeding. 

5 hours ago, Dave said:

The Lance Egan Poacher has been working really well for me lately....Tied on size #8 Jig Hook with a 4 mm. tungsten bead...I fish it on my 4wt.  with about 6ft of straight 4X tippet.....Pop it into tight pockets or float it on an Indicator in slow pools....

20240510_081451.jpg

Killer looking flys

There is so much to learn about fly fishing . It takes years to learn all the tricks to master it . I would be stocking many types of fish locally and I believe I'd try carp fishing with a fly as well as are easy to target in shallow spots . 

I was wondering what that hair(fur) is on that fly Dave , so I found a great high quality video that was very well put together to show how this fly is built . 

So I assume you used squirrel fur also ?  And I believe the mayfly hatch will be feeding the fish soon  and the fly anglers will be having a blast .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=2qseeBVff3s

3 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Nice to see ya putting fish on the bank. 
have you tried the dry fly In the evening? I find that’s when most bugs are on the water and the fish are feeding. 

No. I'm all about doing my fishing in the morning.

5 hours ago, smerchly said:

There is so much to learn about fly fishing . It takes years to learn all the tricks to master it . I would be stocking many types of fish locally and I believe I'd try carp fishing with a fly as well as are easy to target in shallow spots . 

I was wondering what that hair(fur) is on that fly Dave , so I found a great high quality video that was very well put together to show how this fly is built . 

So I assume you used squirrel fur also ?  And I believe the mayfly hatch will be feeding the fish soon  and the fly anglers will be having a blast .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=2qseeBVff3s

Yes Smerchly that is the pattern. Pine Squirrel Zonker strips aren't the most common material to find. So I substituted in a Olive Rabbit zonker strip trimmed thinner.I use a huge amount of Rabbit strips for Trout,Bass,Steelhead,Snook,and Bonefish...Its the material that catches everything..

If you are keen on hatch fishing I would make sure you have some Tan Caddis patterns..There's always Caddis on the water... There is also a good chance a fish will take a Caddis pattern even in a May Fly hatch..Just sayin