Fishing the gaps.

paulyboy83

Well after a long frustrating 4 days, I had a break from the crap and managed to sneak out for a couple of hours this morning before my Dr's app't. Didn't have much open water to fish in,

2007_0222Image0001.jpg

but managed to find some open water in the river again. Was only there about 1 1/2 hrs but did manage to catch this little guy,

2007_0222Image0004.jpg

He was pretty feisty! Managed a quick pic and back in the water he went.

I caught this next one through the ice last weekend. Missed two others due to not having a proper tip up and not getting to the rod quick enough. Was fun though and I'll be heading back this weekend to see if I can catch some more!

2007_0217Image0001.jpg

Sorry bout the quality on the last one but seemed to catch quite a glare off the snow. I did my best to darken it up some.

With the weather warming some I wish everyone safe fishing if you're going out on the ice. Soon be back to casting full time!

Paulyboy

hey paulyboy, great example of some of the awesome early spring pike fishing that can be had if you know some techniques and what areas to look for. When the ice starts to melt from the banks, there is some great pike action that can be had, and you can get some real brutes too that are out there looking to fatten up on some easy prey "winter baitfish kill" floating around out there, as well as some fish starting to schoool up to head into the small waters to do the spring love dance. Hopefully this little warm spell will that my ultra secret chub catching spot out a bit so I can get some great pike bait for when the time comes at a couple of my fav pikin spots, thanks for the pics :Gonefishing:

Hopefully this little warm spell will that my ultra secret chub catching spot out a bit so I can get some great pike bait for when the time comes at a couple of my fav pikin spots, thanks for the pics :Gonefishing:

I wish I had a decent place to go and catch some live bait. There's not a minnow to be found around here. We only have the one bait shop and they haven't had any bait in 3 wks. They're just selling all the dead ones from the tank that they froze. They still work but just don't seem to have the same results as a minnow with a sharp hook through it's back. :worthy:

Gonna head back down there in a few minutes. Hopefully will have more pics to post later.

PB

cool, hopefully you will have some more pics to share, and this time of year in association with the pike feeding on "winter kill" sometimes dead bait under a float is just the ticket they are after, or even if you can get big enough bait to cast out there, just put the biat on your hook, no sinker and cast it into the open water let it slowly sink and drift around giving it the odd twitch, this really helps imitate the natural dead bait drifting and falling to the bottom as it starts to thaw from the ice :Gonefishing:

if we have a "pike off" this year I am going to win that, sorry to tell ya :lol::Gonefishing:

hmmm seems to me it was pike that I caught that put me in the top for "survivor fishing" now we just have to track down the missing guy that has the money collected from that :worthy:

as for the pike off, my biggest one for the year came in the spring :( but that was before I even knew about any such "pike off" and before I had 50 posts, gonna give it a good go for this year for sure, a couple spots shouls start paying off in just a few weeks really.

if we have a "pike off" this year I am going to win that, sorry to tell ya :lol::Gonefishing:

Yeah yeah yeah :worthy: ...I'm going to quit working to fish full time if that is what it takes to beat you and don't forget I know where big bait is now hehehe.

Guest Rockfish

I talked to boston and this year's Pike Off will not be announced until the new regs are in which sounds like the divisions are being changed. Pike may have closings in the Niagara area in the Spring, so when anyone knows for sure when the season is open, pls post it, for the fun of catching them of course. :worthy:

Nice rockets paulyboy. :Gonefishing:

I will know a little bit more about some of the Reg changes and when they are expected to come out next Friday, I will be attending a meeting with some people from the MNR in regards to a few things pertaining to the regs, possible new regs for the walleye fishery and also regarding involvement with wether or not the MNR is going to be heading up the fish ladder again this spring ect. I will try to keep you guys informed a bit on any news that I may have to share.

I talked to boston and this year's Pike Off will not be announced until the new regs are in which sounds like the divisions are being changed. Pike may have closings in the Niagara area in the Spring

...also I found it a bit disappointing on how many entries we had last year for the pike off, so perhaps we can do another species this year, bass perhaps. :lol:

...also I found it a bit disappointing on how many entries we had last year for the pike off, so perhaps we can do another species this year, bass perhaps. :)

Actually a number of us caught quite a few pike Rick, just couldn't beat 32'' :dunno: go figure.

I don't know what work is involved, but I think having a few species involved would be fun.

It doesn't have to be about any -prizes-, just braging rights and also it gives the guy/gals something

to shoot for while out fishing.

Also this is NFN so I believe the fishing should be in -this-area, not as far as Toronto, and I think most

people here would agree with that.

If there is something I/we can do to help this along let us know.

I will get paid right :D

:lol:

I think pike is a good challenge, like KF said lots of people where catching them, just couldn't beat 32" for shore angler, myself I caught at least 50 that fell short of that mark, 1 that would have been over, but that was before I knew about the "Pike Off" and/or had 50 posts. All in all though I think the pike thing is a great challenge because it can be really tough to get a big one here in the Niagara Region, lot's of places to catch pike, but not too many places to catch the big ones consistantly, and pike is a fish you can judge by length, if you get into trying to add bass and such to the mix,how do you determine what's the bigger fish, if someone get's an 18 incher that's around 2-3 lbs, and someone else gets a fat 18 incher that's 4-5 lbs?also on another note, as far as bass goes, if you have a good day,1 person can catch like 40-50 fish no problem on a hot spot, where as pike around here,a great day might be 6-10 fish, and that's if you get lucky.

What might be fun, if other fish where going to be added to the target list would maybe be to have a multi-species thing where it is judged by the most species of fish caught throughout the competition. :lol::)

If you want ongoin reports and pics to posted, consider 3 placements of 1st, 2nd & 3rd, or some other variation like the "Most caught & released". At least that way there may be more updates posted.

Including other species will not change the activity level once that big fish is posted.

Guest canadadude

Add steelhead to the mix,anyway I don't go for these nonsense contests I go catch for me!!! Not in this game for competition not even into the pic deal catch'em look at them toss them :lol::) .........or maybe kill them and eat them ;)To many pro's on this board for an old hack fisher like me :dunno::D:lol:

Add steelhead to the mix,anyway I don't go for these nonsense contests I go catch for me!!! Not in this game for competition not even into the pic deal catch'em look at them toss them :lol::) .........or maybe kill them and eat them ;)To many pro's on this board for an old hack fisher like me :dunno::D:lol:

These nonsense contests are all in fun and a little motivation to get together with others for a fun days fishing. Besides, I've seen you hook into fish in Port, sounds like you go catch for you , the people you fish with, the tourists and the locals :):lol::P whew hoo hoo

Archived