2007 NFN Pike Off

Pope29

good going on the fish man, the pike are being picky right now..only pecking the bait at the spots I have been fishing too, even on chubs not taking it in, sometimes just holding it there and spitting it back out....I am sure someone will beat my mark soon,,,,hopefully it's me B) , hard to do that when working...today...had to drive up near North Bay and back..left 4am, home 6 pm....that cuts into the fishin time for sure....soon..Rockfish is pretty close for sure

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are all those big Pike at??? I haven't been out in a week and won't be until the end of this week, so I'm giving you guys a break for now :lol: . I've seen two pike posted here that would be leading the Pike Off but they weren't submitted....too bad :Gonefishing:

Rockfish has the idea :Gonefishing: , then soon as the water warms up some more then the pike will start to be smaller :dunno: , then my guess is, unless someone flukes into a nice one over the summer, no big ones are going to be submitted until fall again.

Right now the bite seems to be predominently on chubs for sure, and sometimes the search for the biat takes more time than the actual fishing :lol:

You have to know some spots, and thier patterns for the areas you are fishing for sure, some spots that where good 2 weeks ago, aren't good any more, and some other spots will start to get good as the water warms a bit, and baitfish come in ect....then they will not be so concentrated and spread out to claim thier territory as the water warms...weeds grow, you can't just fish one spot as the season changes. it pays to have been pike fishing in the niagara region for many years ;)

all part of the fun of having a little freindly competition...mine shouldn't be all that hard to beat :lol: , I plan on beating it soon,,just haven't had the chance to hit the water hard yet, don't worry in the next couple weeks I will have a boat entry too :dunno::Gonefishing:

all part of the fun of having a little freindly competition...mine shouldn't be all that hard to beat :lol: , I plan on beating it soon,,just haven't had the chance to hit the water hard yet, don't worry in the next couple weeks I will have a boat entry too :dunno::Gonefishing:

Damn yous and your boats. I dont doubt that your going to crush it JWL u def have the knowledge thats for sure, just hafta let the rest depend on the fish i guess.

Guest Rockfish

Remember Jack when u go out in the boat (or from shore) use your deepest diving crankbaits and put about 5 splitshots on the line like u said to get them really deep. :lol:

Heard this one was caught in the Hammy Harbour, it must have been eating what that 10 lb Goby was. :Gonefishing:

HollandPike.jpg

Hey thanks for the tip Rockfish, I love learning new techniques :lol::dunno:

And Hellfish, will get you out in the boat too, gonna hafta get my 9.9 fixed soon for my little boat, then we can hit some creeks and stuff that's no good for the big boat, all boats aside....I'm not out of shore spots yet either :Gonefishing:

Guest Rockfish

were you using poodles to catch that one Rockfish?

That's not me, but think the guy did use a white poodle, was the colour of the day. :Gonefishing:

I've been trying all week to catch some pike, but can't find any big baits so didn't have any luck.

Checked out 7 new spots (new to me), still waiting for my spots from last year to defrost.

Hopefully I can get an entry in, maybe once I get the boat out I can enter a little guy before JWL takes over. :Gonefishing:

I'm just going to take tomorrow off from fishing and go to the outdoor show in Fort Erie.

Don't count me out yet guys.

By the way, what happened to last year winner Scottydog.

Not fishing this year?

Guest Rockfish

You hear alot and see big Muskie caught in the Niagara River, Upper and Lower but don't hear much about big Pike. I've read somewhere that Muskie grow twice as fast as Pike ? Also with top predator fish, one species usually dominates an area which sounds like the Muskie.

:worthy:

funny about that, I have a 52 incher musky mounted that was 30.5 lbs, in comparison, the Ontario record is something like 54 inches but 65lbs, looking at mine, that would be one heck of a fat fish for twice the weight of mine and pretty close to the same length :worthy:

Guest Rockfish

Hey Pope.

Do gar pike count?

No Gar allowed in a Pike Off chilli, Northern Pike only u better go back and read the rules, :blink: they are the same as last year. Someone could always start a Gar Off or a Carp Off if they wanted to. :worthy:

:Gonefishing:

Guest Rockfish

Since we know now that there won't be a 2007 Regs out this year and there was no mention of any Pike closures in Niagara, thought it would be an idea to have a "Second Place" in the Pike Off to get more pics up, heck I may be second or third anyway. ;)

We'll just get the Mods to highlight in green, like last year who the current leader is and then blue for Second place and then maybe red for the Boat Category or just post the Second place in another thread.

Just a thought, it's interesting to see different sizes and colours of Pike in the area and to get more guys involved and also in a regular Tourny there is usually a Second Place winner I would think.

:lol:

Funny you said that Rockfish, I have caught a couple that I didn't take a picture of lately, I have to start taking more pics ;)

Have only gotten out a couple times since you got that big one, have caught pike, but no 3 footers :lol: , might be a good way to get more entries, for me...I'm goin for the 3 footers ;) ,I know I can get lots of smaller ones no prob. But will start to take more pics for sure.

Guest Rockfish

Guess there's no interest in a Second Place to get more posts up. :blink:

I'll have to get a 40" er in the next few weeks just to hold my place. :)

:Gonefishing:

Archived