2007 NFN Pike Off

Pope29

Had a bit of time to get out this morning before the wife had to go to work, thought it wouldn't be too bad, nice wintery morning :) . Set out with a couple spots in mind...guess what, all the spots I was going to try are frozen over :Gonefishing::blink::) . Guess I will have to wait another day or 2 when the wife is off to go kick some @$$ and fish the crap out of a couple spots in my quest for the big one before it gets too warm for a couple of my spots.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chilli....that's an eel ! I hear they're good eating if you smoke em! :Gonefishing: Maybe you should have a look inside that sick pike ....if it looks bad....don't eat it . I cleaned a big perch last fall that looked a little sickly , and it had a 3" twister inside it's bowels ,all knotted up and very soft like it was melting . I tossed it ....never know how much of the plastic chemical got into the tissues . Did you say that pike is 36" ? :blink:

:rolleyes: I would hope that these rules are followed in this pike off

Trespassing

<A href="http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/French/97f41_f.htm#10.(1)" name=10.(1)>10. (1) A person shall not,

(a) enter premises in contravention of the Trespass to Property Act for the purpose of hunting or fishing;

( :D enter premises in contravention of the Trespass to Property Act in possession of a firearm, fishing rod or other hunting or fishing device;

© engage in hunting or fishing in contravention of the Trespass to Property Act;

(d) fail to leave premises in contravention of the Trespass to Property Act, if the person was on the premises for the purpose of hunting or fishing; or

(e) fail to leave premises in contravention of the Trespass to Property Act, if the person was on the premises in possession of a firearm, fishing rod or other hunting or fishing device.

Notice under Trespass to Property Act

(. :D I know that all fish are caught and entered with these rules in mind :)

Guest Rockfish

Chilli....that's an eel ! I hear they're good eating if you smoke em! :D Maybe you should have a look inside that sick pike ....if it looks bad....don't eat it . I cleaned a big perch last fall that looked a little sickly , and it had a 3" twister inside it's bowels ,all knotted up and very soft like it was melting . I tossed it ....never know how much of the plastic chemical got into the tissues . Did you say that pike is 36" ? :)

Boston told me he's caught very skinny Pike before that look like golf clubs that have some kind of disease. :blink: I've also read that the bigger ones (not snot rockets) need cool water like under 65* F otherwise they will stop feeding and actually starve. :)

The really warm water is not good for the big ones for sure, one of the theories that I have had for why some spots only hold the little guys in the summer. Some spots you can catch lots of spunky rockets in the summer...but if ya notice,if you happen to get a big one, they are kinds sluggish in the warm water, and take a while to swim away when released too...they even feel too warm when you pick em up...the little rockets just zoom right away.

All this pike talk again, I think I have to go on a little mission in the morning and see if I can find any, hopefully some of the spots will be thawed out again :blink: and I wish a couple of my other spots would clear up a little...this spring muddied up the water pretty good in some places for sure.

:) Thats right Tommy we all have to abide by the rules and if you can't then don't get caught you never know who is watching :blink:

Rob I agree. However our little honey hole here comes with signs but an understanding with the superintendants. We fish there every year and they actually come down and unlock the gate once the dangerous ice has cleared. When they start to put the docks in we leave and don't come back. That for me is an exception to the rule

However due to someone naming this hole on the net and bragging a nice catch with pictures and no background block, this spot got very busy this year and not only got trashed but vandalized. The last time I went with my Son we noticed a smashed up BBQ and tire tracks tearing up the grass where there was nothing the day before. The next day the gate was closed and chained and I don't blame the superintendant one bit.

So if anyone else has one of these spots where you have talked to the ownwers and they have verified it's alright to fish despite the posted notices, keep it quiet and clean.

Dan

Tell me about it, :) you have to repect these spots, and they respect the anglers who have been frequenting some spots for years now,it only takes one day to wreck it for some people who have been fishing spots for many years.

Why do you think so many of us have stressed not to leave a mess ect...and respect the propery ect...the people who give the anglers access to some of these spots are also relying on us to keep them safe and clean..there is a mutual respect..and it only takes a handful of idiots to ruin it for all :blink: , and this spring was a good example of that..and also WHY NOT TO NAME CERTAIN PLACES ON THE NET.

Guest Rockfish

Bruce (bigugli) and I were disgusted at the empty beer cans and other garbage left there. :blink: The same goes for all fishing spots, u bring it in, u should take it out. :) Fishing spots should be treated as your own home, but I would hate to see some of these people's homes that leave garbage all over and just throw it out the window. :D

:D This is one of the things that just Flippie%20_Piss.gif me off. And to top it all off the posts that get put on here about guy's saying that the little clic of anglers posts about all the fish they are catching and not telling anyone where they are getting these fish.HELLOmedium-smiley-125.gif GIVE YOUR HEAD A SHAKE. This is why we dont give the info that the socalled LURKERS are asking for. I have allways said GO AND FIND YOUR OWN SPOTS. If we give you these areas and then you go there abuse the area,leave you garbage and have no respect at all then who are the ones that this reflects on US the one that give areas to fish on a web site. So again put some time out there find your own areas and fish your brains out. But remember RESPECT the area or lose it. You never know who is :(:blink:car-smiley-011.gif

Good points Rob, :blink: and the one about so called "cliques" of people..heck sure there are many of us who on occasion have met up, gotten together, had a great time for the day sharing some tips, even sharing in some fishing spots...but most of all it's people who have gotten to know eachother, and gotten to know that we respect our resources.

We bide by the tresspassing issues, follow all the MNR regs, and we always clean up after ourselves..and often clean up after others as well because we want our fishing spots to be clean, and we want to keep them. Another thing that people also don't see is the fact that many members here that share fishing experiences together are also involved in other aspects of our sport as well.

Some are club members that are actively involved in tournaments that help raise money for charity, and do alot for our youth, others are actively involved in club activities to help out any way they can with fishery/wildlife/habitat enhancement efforts, and others try and stay on top of allot of other issues such as MNR/CO enforcement,and other issues regarding efforts trying to keep/save some of our valuable shore fishing access as well.

I think there is alot of stuff that some simply don't see, or simply don't care to read back in some forum posts about, all they want to get out of the forums is where they can catch fish and what top catch them on ect....may as well be asking for a free guided/chartered tour of all our water ways..and then we may as well catch the fish for them too :D

As for info, there is lots of great info on here in all kinds of multi species fish catching tactics...baits to use, techniques to use, general areas to key in on when out on the hunt., info about clubs, tournies, boats,motors,equipment...don't know what more ya could want from a fishing forum :(

Guest Rockfish

Anyway, not to jack this thread about Pike fishing :blink: but heard from a few fellow Pikers that some spots have iced up again over the weekend with the cold snap we had. :( Should be able to try out a few spots in a couple days after the warmer temps and rain we are supposed to get, I've got the Pike itch. :)

Anyone been out much over the last week ? :D

:(

well as far as hi-jacking the thread goes...kinda related as a pretty good pike spot that got shut down, and it's only a small window of opportunity every season for that spot,some good points made about stressing the importance of respecting some good shore fishing options.

I have been out a bit but no luck for the toothies, and have only had limited time here and there, yesterday had a couple hours but got skunked. On a side note, I have been managing a little collection of chubs, so that should work out good in the next while.

Lots of spots got froze up like you said, I went on a scout the other day, the place I wanted to fish was frozen, creek mouths where frozen again and into some of the creeks, and other spots that usually produce ok in spring , the water is still too dirtied up for my liking, but shouldn't be too long till I find a few :(

there's a few spots that should get good soon a little bit off the beaten path ;) I,m in no way shape or form out of spots yet :P

not that it will count but worse comes to worse for me, I will go catch a few nice ones and some pickerel opener week at my camp in a couple more weeks :Gonefishing:

This weather has screwed up the fishing real good. Not sure what is or isn't going to bite. Just ask Smerchly.

As for the mess at the hole. It was disgusting!! :Gonefishing: Cans, bottles, cups, paper all over the place. Lawn chairs and BBQs tossed into the river. Ther was no need for any of that. Even worse, there were half empty garbage cans within spitting distance.

Drive along the river or the canal and you will find a dozen spots in the same condition. The wanna be anglers and drunks will put serious anglers out of many spots if the trash isn't stopped. I pick up a bag of s--t every week at some location or other, but it just isn't enough! Go to the pier by the rail bridge and look at the filth. Not all of it is angler trash, but we will get the blame. One pair of hands only does so much, many hands so much more.

Even silence and secrecy are not enough to protect fave spots from crap and additional closed spots.

:Gonefishing: Here Is an idea: Why don't the guy's that fish these areas all the time take 1 week end and go to your secret spots and just give it a clean up. That way if I try and get crews togeather we won't be showing all the honney holes to every one. I will be asking the PORT POSSIE take a sat or sun before kids day and do a clean up of both sides of port, I mean using rakes to pick up all the old line,roe bags and all the other crap that has been left behind,also under the bridge is in bad shape along with the walkway. So when you all see the post for a sping cleanup I hope that it is just not the regular crew that shows up, 10 or 15 guy's would have this hole area cleaned up in a few hours. Rob

Guest Rockfish

I know a couple spots that the Pike are in and out within a few weeks and I don't usually fish those spots but in other places, there is no escape ! The cold snap may have them hang around in some places a bit longer since they like to do their thing at temps just above freezing.

:Gonefishing:

Here Is an idea: Why don't the guy's that fish these areas all the time take 1 week end and go to your secret spots and just give it a clean up. That way if I try and get crews togeather we won't be showing all the honney holes

That was what I was getting at. I keep bags with me all the time and it do pile up. Especially the cans and bottles. There are others that do the same, just not enough of us :dunno:

That's half the problem, I know a bunch of guys that always stop and clean up around them, and talk to others who always do the same...next day..word gets out from these idiots to thier other idiot buddies that they saw some nice fish being caught,or they saw it on a fishing forum, and the next day there is twice as many of the idiots there dirtying the place up again..I have even told people at some spots that if they keep leaving a big mess, the spots will get shut down..most of these places have a garbage can right there,,,how pathetic is that :dunno: .

We really have to stop and think about what kind of info we are posting on here, in a round about way,we are doing it to oursleves...we have a great day fishing, post a report about it..within the first sunny day after, these places are overcrowded with all these fly by night rejects who are leaving a big garbage trail every where we go...keeping OOS fish, keeping every fish....and then the rest of the respectable anglers are left to pay for it, or out of a fishing hole. :dunno:

Who cares if we sound like idiots to the people who contribute nothing to the board, maybe we should all just take a quick pic..edit the background, have a crappy short report to go with it to share,the guys with hundreds even a couple thousand reports on here, that get together on occassion to have a good fishing day together, go on a trip together or chip in for the cause, as well as contribute some great info on the board, should just really start usuing more discression, and keep all the "real" info amoungst whom ever they feel comfortable about sharing in it with be for we screw ourselves out of all our good fishing holes, by being too nice with the info.

Everyone is getting more and more aware of the damages being done every day...sounds stupid maybe but if you now go to one of your fishing holes, start talking to people and hear that some came as far as Toronto or farther because they "heard" the bite was hot at a certain area, where do you think they heard that from??? think about it, even 10 years ago, pick a fishing hole, think back about the experience and talks to other anglers, I can guarantee you that pretty much all of them where from the area around where you where fishing....now if ya did a survey so to speak, I bet you more than half the people are from no where around where they are fishing...you know why...cuz these rejects wrecked all thier own fishing spots, over fished them, polluted them, and now they are looking for new ones..and we are stupid enough to give them away to them...and what do they do.......turn around and wreck ours :(

Guest Rockfish

I keep garbage bags in my car sometimes for other things but keep one in my backpack if I see a pile of crap I get tired of looking at. Another spot that gets really disgusting with garbage and there is even garbage cans close by is the Lake Gibson area. If it's used as a garbage dump, it's another place that may get fences put around since it's all owned by Ontario Hydro.

Please keep your fishing areas clean people ! Otherwise there will be more spots lost to abuse. :dunno:

You can also get lots of info on spots through PM's, so it's not seen on the forum. :(

:dunno:

Unfortunately Dave, L Gibson has been a dumping ground for decades. Especially for those too cheap to pay the dump fees. Poor image of the town of Thorold don't you think? They aren't anglers or wannabees, just regular jerks.

Archived