Spawning pike??

Hellfish

Was fishing today, and had a preety good day, hit some oos bass and pike and alot of panfish, hit panfish on a chartreuse tube jig hitting it off bottom also hit a couple hammer handles on the little micro tubes on 2lb test was kinda fun. But the weird thing was that i hit 2 really nice pike and one was a preety big male nutting to go home about, then i hit this

DSC00112.jpg

i think to myself a male then a preggy female, i thought that all the pike should have spawned already cause for the most part most of the pike moved out. I go searching in the area im fishing can see straight to the bottom and low and behold i see about 7 pike circling a 10 ft diameter and some little hammer handles behind them. preety cool to see so i figured they were spawning and got up and left for the night. Anyways just curious about the whole pike spawn thing, anyone have any info regarding this?? I know this area i fish is always behind in spawns and runs of different kinds of fish but to me in the 7yrs i have been fishing there this is uncommon??? :blush: Any info is greatly appreciated.

BTW both pike were returned to the water where they belong, just incase anyone was wondering :lol:

Nothing about this spring is normal. Late spring can mean late spawn. Our spring was a month late. Some fish were even bedding during that January warm spell. I'm afraid the bass will still be on their beds when season opens.

i hear ya on that bigugli, anglers may have to use some common sense come bass season to protect the nests, even the perch are not spawned out yet, plus we have seen a few musky already and they usually dont come into late june, everything is all just messed up.

Guest Rockfish

That one may be full of a few gobies or a good sized Perch, :lol: the lumpiness looks a little uneven, never seen one with a bulge like that. Nice colours on that critter, it's neat to see the different spot patterns on Pike in different areas.

^_^

Rockfish, thats what i thought as well didnt think it would have had eggs but when I was putting it back in the water it released some eggs on my shoes. Could have already spawned out and there were some eggs left over ^_^ but they do certainly have a abundance of perch of gobies to choose from, but i put her back so i guess we will never know. :lol:

I agree with Rockfish , Hellfish . If that pike is preggo , it should be more to the back ready to drop the eggs . It may have just eaten bambi or something . Remember that 6 lb. spekkie I posted with about 9 lobsters inside ? ^_^ Also , it could have hit or bit by something when it was smaller and caused the body to heal that way . I know a pond way out in a field that's spring fed , and has creek chubs in it, and many of these chubs have crooked spines We think it's caused by the chemicals from the runoff from the fields .....or something in the water. Nice picture Hellfish !

I agree with Rockfish , Hellfish . If that pike is preggo , it should be more to the back ready to drop the eggs . It may have just eaten bambi or something . Remember that 6 lb. spekkie I posted with about 9 lobsters inside ? ^_^ Also , it could have hit or bit by something when it was smaller and caused the body to heal that way . I know a pond way out in a field that's spring fed , and has creek chubs in it, and many of these chubs have crooked spines We think it's caused by the chemicals from the runoff from the fields .....or something in the water. Nice picture Hellfish !

The water is just the welland river, she was spunky too i thought i had a oos muskie the way it was fighting, never had a pike not give up the whole time i was fighting it, usually it is like a 1 min fight then it comes like a log but this one was peeling right into shore. Either way she does have a full gut and thats good to see cause out of the 15-20 pike i caught there this year they have all been eating really well, and NO lamprey marks on any of them.

Tommy: I didnt know that, very resourceful if u ask me ^_^ thnx for the info..... Tony- Yup everything is all and well with Ko-man-chi, re ordering the products again tonight preety stoked to see them.

Archived