Too Early for Pier Fishing?

mikeymikey

Hey Snidley. Just wondering what rod/reel set-up you're using when salmon are pulling you around Lake Ontario in your kick boat. LOL If I see you out there I'll try not to snag you with my 2 1/2 oz buzzbombs and 200lb braided line. Sorry, that last line was too funny to resist. I'll shut up now and be a good boy. By the way I use a Daiwa Luna 256L or Daiwa Zillion reel filled with 8-10lb Suffix Siege line. I'm going to try Daiwa Samurai braided line this fall and see if it works any better.

At night I use a Daiwa CVZ or Daiwa Advantage baitcaster loaded with 50lb braid and locked down. The rod is a Fenwick Techna 7'9" bank rod. I throw glow spoons with it. Fortunes, Williams Bully's, Mepps Cyclops, Cleos, Fred Thompsons etc all glowed up with Fortune glow powder. Around 5am. I switch over to a custom 9' Fenwick Hotshot spin rod with a Pflueger Supreme size 80 (the biggest one) loaded with about 250 yards of 20lb braid and fluro leader from 12lb down to 6 lb. depending on water colour and how badley I want to catch them and how many spare lures I feel I have. Running 6lb and $20 Japanese fishing lures adds a bit of financial excitement to my angling, lol. Snidley

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question about Port Dalhousie.

I am wondering if a overnight parking is allowed by the parking lot at Lakeside Park?

What about the parking lot on the other side by the Westcliffe Park?

By the way, it isn't pay parking is it ?

Are there security patrols around?

Most importantly, is there a public washroom that is open 24 hours? <_<

I am guessing overnight parking is allowed since some of you said something about all nighter?

Snidley,,, how long? or short? of a floro leader do you use? recommend?

As usual it depends. When I'm fishing at night I often use a short 30lb saltwater hard mono leader (the same i use for Pike) because I find there are times when straight braid to the lure will result in hooks fouling into the braid plus my bank rod is rated to 30lb not 50. When connecting the saltwater leader to the braid at night I use a swivel. When the light starts to come up I go to a short 12" to 15" leader of 12lb Fluro (shorter leaders attached with a swivel still permit long casts which are fundamental to catching Salmonoids as they are followers in open water not ambushers in cover)again attached with a smaller swivel. As the sun gets brighter I move down weight to 10lb, 8lb and finally 6lb. fluro. By the time I'm at 6lb I also add about 6 feet of 10lb shock leader between the braid and the final 4 feet of 6lb fluro. This not only adds to invisibility but also adds a little bit of stretch to the setup (much liker a snubber on a dipseydiver rig) because with 6lb you need to finesse the fish in and you need the stretch to avoid breakoffs especially on the initial hookup. I use a uni knot to attatch leader to leader and leader to mainline braid. This knot provides the ability to fire out long casts but it also weakens the overall strength of your setup as no knot is truly 100%. Truth is with 6lb leader I'm actually trolling rather than casting again because I find that by full noon type light salmon have become unbelievably cautious and you often need your bait to be way back of even a rowboat like I use.. My favorite trolling bait is the 3 1/2 inch BPS FloatingNitro minnow (about $5 at Bass Pro). It works really well and if you break off it doesn't break the bank, lol. Scent also becomes important as the fish get more cautious or spooked. One last thing. Early in the season I've discovered that fresh Salmon will most often strike the belly hook on your lure (pelagic feeders like salmon, Kingfish, Tuna all bite first to injure and then return to swallow head first) so i make sure that at least my belly hook is an Owner Stinger 2X. Experience has shown me time and again that I have lost more salmon and Steelies to bent out belly hooks than to any other thing. As the salmon fully stage and start to get stale you will find more and more of your hookups will come on the tail hook as they now follow the bait and nip at it's butt. To me thats when Triple Grip tail hooks are a big benifit. It's been a long time since I fished from piers and lots of what I do does not really help shore guys but an overall awareness about Salmon will always be valuable. Noise, Smell and bait profile are the 3 things I see that most anglers, both on shore and in boats, bungle. Spawning Salmon look like stupid brutes, or boots as many people call them, but in my experience they actually are very perceptive animals that bounce between being supremely cautious and blindly aggressive often within moments of time. To catch them consistently it pays to keep them in the blindly aggressive mode. To that end IMO stealth in your bait, line, scent and noise will pay off in huge benifits of multiple fish outings. snidley

I stopped by Port Credit for just one hour after work at night and water was very calm that I could hear my spoon hit the water. Now, I didn't see it with my eyes but I clear heard few big splashes!

I am guessing very very few are stopping by to feed ?

This was my first year trying to be Paul's and Tom's protege, lol. It is amazing how many fishermen will actually spend the time and share some of their vast knowledge with you when you are fishing the same area as them. Now I can add another notch in the arsenal of catching fish. Using Snidley's approach plus a few tips yet to be released, :angry: double digits are easily obtained. Hope we can hook up in the early spring before you start your weekly "morning walk for the early bite" and catch a few extra fish with a boat that has a motor, :) . Finally got the boat back in the water and using Familiar Bite and SD's has been very productive. Gonna try and talk you into the SalmonMaster's derby along the way here. Cya later!

I have seen guys go out in small boats and or float tubs about 100 yrds from shore and cast around. Not sure if they are catching or not as I'm usually out there in the dark. Does anybody have any input as to whether this may be a better approach or not? I was thinking of doing it this year and just using my electric motor to move around and cast. Has anybody here done that?

Thanks,

JFish

I have seen guys go out in small boats and or float tubs about 100 yrds from shore and cast around. Not sure if they are catching or not as I'm usually out there in the dark. Does anybody have any input as to whether this may be a better approach or not? I was thinking of doing it this year and just using my electric motor to move around and cast. Has anybody here done that?

Thanks,

JFish

Excellent way to avoid shoulder to shoulder ?

Guest canada

Thanks,

JFish

Sounds like a great way to target the chinny's, I have always thought of doing that after casting for a couple hours off the pier :angry: just don't get in the way of pier chuckers and you have a whole big lake to fish, there are dudes that do this stealth aproach I see them going out or coming in. Most troll but I think an electric trolling motor or just casting is a better aproach, hey if you got a small alluminun pick up the dude and we'll definitly giver ago :):o

Ill Pick you up DUDE we'll go right threw them with the swirl. On the second thought maybe stay out of casting distance to avoid hurting the soft top. You can be stealth in big boats to while trolling as long as you have a kicker motor. We have had unbelievable days trolling riggers dipsy flatlines right at the peir mouths, when there thick there not the most complicated species to catch.......when in calm water never hesitate to float by some skein.....the spoons chuckers and such attract them in alot of the times and get them excited and the skein guys light them up, i havent casted a lure for 2 years after i tried floating skein....prepare to smell though..

Bowen

tonight may be the ticket to some salmon heavy cold rain and night time temp drop tonight may be the night they get closer. if the weather holds up im going tonight. anyone wanna goin me..

What pier and time, im thinking about getting out tonight

Guest niagarariverpro

As of right now i would try the credit and bronte .. another 4-5 days before you'll see any around here unless you on the niagara..

I visited Peter's Tackle for a few small items , and do they have a lot of glow spoons etc. for the salmon run !!! There is a big selection of spoons which have enough weight to make long casts & deep retrieves . I wonder if anyone puts something on the trebles for scent , like a piece of minnow etc .? I'll give it a try this year ....but not all night for this dude....maybe get my butt out there at 5 am.... :dunno: ....maybe....... :blush:

Guest markiez
Another Daiwa fan, eh? You must have got that Luna from the States. :dunno:

The Daiwa Luna was purchased on eBay from NJ in the States and the Daiwa Zillion was purchased in Guelph, Ontario from a fishing store. The Lunas are not carried here in Canada. At least not the model I was interested in.

Does everyone find that they catch more salmon by trying to keep the lure close to bottom or at different depths. Are these salmon hugging bottom for the most part? Last year I hooked one as soon as the lure hit the water. I'm going to assume most people catch em close to bottom but I could be wrong.

JFish

Guest Tacklebox
DOUBLE DIGIT??? Are you joking or are you for real? 10+ salmon is totally possible?!?

WOW!

:dunno: most i hit in one night was couple years ago which was 13 plus 3 more during sun up for a total of 16 in about 14 hrs of fishing

Guest Tacklebox
X-Rap. It's a clone of one of the A Team which is a Jackal Squad Minnow. I'd say Blue/Silver, Black/Silver or the Purple top /cream sided version and in the #8 and#10 size

best lures are made by storm for chinnys hotntots wiggle warts and the classic lightening shad(discontinued unavailble :dunno: tried sending e-mails to storm to bring them back but wont)

I usually sink my spoons deep. No weeds no fish is my motto. Gets costly from shore though(good for me however as i pick up lots of spoons on calm days out front of Bronte pier lighthouse and the dark pier too, lol).. Try replacing the treble hooks with a siwash single hook. Less hangeups and I find that the fish can't throw the heavy spoon as easily as they can with trebles. I also tie some yarn on the siwash to catch in their teeth and to hold scent better than bare metal. On the issue of scent I like Yum Crayfish scent, Mikes Herring, Smelt or Anise scent, WD-40 lubricant, Gulp Crayfish scent. Yum garlic scent and this ones of the charts. I go to the Chinese grocery store and buy frozen female Capelin minnows (they are a shad type fish from Newfie and they smell right plus have roe in them. It falls off the lure like dandruff which seems to attract fish very well)and rub it on my lures with special attention to the hook/yarn area. Finally I learned from pro guide Aaron Shirley that in the Niagara at spawning time nothing beats roe juice on your lure. I concur, it really works but boy is it messy.

As far as trolling for Salmon using any type of motor including an electic i say in less than 40' you will spook them more often than not. Yes occasionally conventional boat anglers get inshore fish ( I saw 3 caught last year out of LOTS of attempts) but i suggest if you use a boat stay in the 60' depth range, use planner boards with diving stickbaits or dipseys with a subtle rig. Salmon are spooky in shallow you need stealth to get them to go unless it's really rough or the water is very stained IMO. At this time of year kickboats rule for salmon angling but canoes, kayaks or float tubes can work as well. Nothing beats casting to Salmon and Steelhead and feeling that slam of a feeding silver. Snidley

So I visited Port Credit this morning. Didn't see any fish jump or anyone land any but...

there was I would say 30+ boats going out from Credit. Many of them were just trolling around the mouth of the river few hundred meters away... I would say. Rest of 20+ boats were in my guess in 1Km range from the shores.

I guess salmons are moving in closer.

Next week could be the week ?

I went out of Oakville Creek this morning in my kickboat. Unfortunately the river is blown and muddy. No Salmon and very little bait around. My scouts, two Terns that have been working the rivermouth all summer, were perched on the buoy about half a mile offshore. Not working for me like they usually do. Lazy bastards I'm lost without them showing me where the baitballs are! I saw some trollers moving deeper and deeper in an obvious search pattern. I'll wager the salmon are still scattered from the big storms we've had here. Did manage one small Smallmouth but went upstream and nada there as well. Bronte tommorrow. snidley

Guest canada

To early still, fished from about 2:30 am till 7:00 am not a sign of fish to be had :lol: there were a total of 4 guys chucking spoons and no hit's misses or errors. Got some reports the fish are still out in 60' and deeper looks like another couple of weeks before the pier action heats up :P .......was beauty night out there for casting though :lol:

Archived