Too Early for Pier Fishing?

mikeymikey

Yes, thanks to this awesome weather we are having Lake Ontario is nice and warm!

It only sucks for us salmon hunters.... even more so for boatless.

Relax people... check out the weathernetwork for following week. We are getting some rain to muddy up the water a bit, some north wind, low temperature of 10'C ! But it need to maintain that for few days to cool this huge lake down, I guess.

I was at the Bronte pier last evening and I was the loner on the darkside. More and more people were showing up to the lighthouse side.

I saw two boats out on the water during the dark hours, I didn't think they were trolling.

Anyways... still looking to land my first.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, as for fishing at the Whirlpool is there a special technique one should be using when fishing for salmon & for steelheads? (When only using lures)

I remember someone telling me that traditional way of casting out spoons or whatever lures and just straight retrieve isn't the best idea?

I been told that it is somewhat better to use a slightly smaller lures and kinda... let the lure drift a bit? by using the strong current of the whirlpool. So I would cast out the lure but keep the rod fairly high and slowly reel in some slacks and try best to let the lure move around with the current drift?

It seems very confusing how one could drift a lure or eggs or anything in whirlpool. I remember my first time visiting the whirlpool, it is a very awesome place to be and never thought about fishing in such a crazy current flow water? I mean one minute water flows this way, next minutes it flows that way~ than water boils up from bottom and all over... it was crazy.

Overall, I am just happy that we get access to such a unique scenery. :blink:

how you explained it is exactly how u fish it,

cast out, let it sink... keep the line tight but loose enough to let it drift on the bottom, pray for no snags. once the lure is getting close to shore, reel up, do it again

Now, as for fishing at the Whirlpool is there a special technique one should be using when fishing for salmon & for steelheads? (When only using lures)

I remember someone telling me that traditional way of casting out spoons or whatever lures and just straight retrieve isn't the best idea?

I been told that it is somewhat better to use a slightly smaller lures and kinda... let the lure drift a bit? by using the strong current of the whirlpool. So I would cast out the lure but keep the rod fairly high and slowly reel in some slacks and try best to let the lure move around with the current drift?

It seems very confusing how one could drift a lure or eggs or anything in whirlpool. I remember my first time visiting the whirlpool, it is a very awesome place to be and never thought about fishing in such a crazy current flow water? I mean one minute water flows this way, next minutes it flows that way~ than water boils up from bottom and all over... it was crazy.

Overall, I am just happy that we get access to such a unique scenery. :)

The best way to fish the Whirlpool is in fact to cast out spoons. As for using smaller lures that presents a problem in the Whirlpool. Smaller lures work, but it is very diffucult to cast them out far enough. If you are using 8lb test perhaps, but the water is working against you as much as the fish. I use 3/4 oz little cleos, 3/4 ounce Canadian wigglers. Williams wabblers can also be effective closer to shore later in the season. I would suggest 10-12 lb line. You cast out upstream, and let the current of the Whirlpool work your lure, slowly reeling it in. The water near the shore is relatively calm compared to the water in the middle but should a Salmon or trout pull your line out into the strong current..look out.

The rocks of the Whirlpool can also be abrasive on your line and of course your line is only as strong as the strongest length of it or knot. Be sure to bring extra line..if you get peeled of you will be sure to need it...6pm till dark is a hot time at the Whirpool, and sometimes it is just fun to sit and watch the big ones jump.. Bring a flashlight...the walk up is very dark after sunset. Good luck hope too see you down there.....

Poster/Thread of the year award to me ?

that's cuz there are 10 people involved in the thread, and another 9990 people who saw the title and are waiting for the good news so they can flock like seagulls from a couple hour radius soon as any good salmon reports come in from the land of milt and honey :lol::lol: ..why do any of the leg work yourself when you can go on the internet and have the real anglers do it for ya :):lol:

that's cuz there are 10 people involved in the thread, and another 9990 people who saw the title and are waiting for the good news so they can flock like seagulls from a couple hour radius soon as any good salmon reports come in from the land of milt and honey :lol::lol: ..why do any of the leg work yourself when you can go on the internet and have the real anglers do it for ya :):lol:

No posts from the "dude" what does that mean??????? :dunno::lol: ........you guys figure it out :P

No posts from the "dude" what does that mean??????? :lol::lol: ........you guys figure it out :dunno:

most of us know the guys who get out there and catch the fish :lol::)

Fish are few and far between in Hamilton right now. You can get them off the pier but ya gotta put your time in. I'm seeing record numbers of anglers this year.....guess a lot of people just reading the posts and not contributing. Oh well they can cast 1000 times and get one fish..I would rather wait till the conditions are right and get them more often.

What fish?

Water is at a boiling temperature ~

and why are people keep on saying that up stream rivers are full of salmons?

because they are.

oops the cats out of the bag!

just dont cross my line in the stream!

Went out Tuesday night in Port D from 7pm till midnight and not one fish caught...Hopefully it picks up a bit this weekend, I have 4 days off coming up the beginning of next week and I'm determined to get my first one of the year.

because they are.

oops the cats out of the bag!

just dont cross my line in the stream!

They certainly can be found with some leg work. Unfortunately for me my rod decided it wasn't going to make it through another season. When the sound of peeling line is accompanied by a large crack and splinters it is not a good day. I held a candle light service and said a prayer in her memory. :D

They certainly can be found with some leg work. Unfortunately for me my rod decided it wasn't going to make it through another season. When the sound of peeling line is accompanied by a large crack and splinters it is not a good day. I held a candle light service and said a prayer in her memory. :D

i know the feeling.. spring trout snapped my fly rod early spring this year :(

Finally landed one and hook came off on second one.

Glow in Dark Cleo Green.

While I was there.... seen two landed and one lost.

It sure was a good enough morning + calm water as a bonus.

Mikey

Conditions were good this morning.

Way to go I knew I was the good luck charm just when I got there. LOL

Also who help in netting your fish and the other(me). LOL

Then someone takes my spot wile I am helping out, while my rod and tackle bag still there.:o

Jose

Mikey

Conditions were good this morning.

Way to go I knew I was the good luck charm just when I got there. LOL

Also who help in netting your fish and the other(me). LOL

Then someone takes my spot wile I am helping out, while my rod and tackle bag still there.:angry2:

Jose

oh yes.."salmon angler season"

Remember the good ole days I always say, when if you had a 25-30lber on,and it started screaming with your drag...soon as people around you knew you had a fish on and it was running..they would actually get out of your way..reel in thier lines and watch...then if for some chance you had to run 10 minutes down the bank with your fish...when you came back, if there was in fact someone in your spot, they would just look at you,smile and give you your spot back. Those where the days!! :Gonefishing:

Now for every good salmon report there are 10 other ones of people complaining about all the idiots out there....getting over run from your fishing hole,pinners scrapping it out with bottom bouncers,people walking right through a pool,coming back to find your vehicle was broken into,big messes every where...and so on.. :dunno:<_<

we can all sit back and watch the story unfold as so begins an exciting new episode of " As The Port Turns" :lol:

oh the trials and trib......ulations of it all :lol:

I was at Port Hope Last night with my son, found a fishable spot inspite of 100+ people there, while trying to set up our gear, 5 guys came 5 minutes after we just got there, planted themsleves 5 feet beside our spot , I told them give my son a break, it is his first time here, and they responded, YOU WISH!

We wetted out line for three hours and saw 4 fish caught, we casted 10-15 feet in front of us the whole time to avoid any problem, while the idiots 70 feet across us casting all the way to our side three feet in front of us and snagged my line.

People are getting more and more desperate and almost felt like everyone had bought a lottery ticket trying to catch the million dollar fish.

One of the fellow that came and stayed beside me casted 40 feet across, and of course his line got snagged by anglers across us, both anglers are trying to figure out who should cut their line.

A mini run just started, with the rain today, it would be good to go on weeknights

see..exactly what I am talking about fishfight!!!

That's pretty lame to act like that in front of a kid,and not a very good example to the up and comers...don't worry there are a few of us good guys still around, specially when it comes to getting the kids out fishing...I would be one of the guys you could shoot the breeze with while fishing, and if I was into fish,I have no probs letting the kids have fun, I have handed the rod off to kids before to let them have the thrill of fighting a big one like that. The expressions on thier faces is worth the 5-10 bucks for the lure they might lose on ya. :Gonefishing:

I hope this didn't shy your kid away from going out with you to try and hook that first big salmon

Archived