Too Early for Pier Fishing?

mikeymikey

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use 30lb PowerPro.

I also have 15lb P-line mono which I am trying for the first time... just wanted to see how it differ from braid. 15lb sure feels thick... and it sure don't cast aswell but we'll see how it goes when?if? i hook a fish because I really like to horse these fishes fast.

Do a lot of people here use braid for casting or or mono. I used braid before and when I tried to cast the the lure out there far it would catch on itself and break. I don't think I had 20lbs on though, maybe 8lb as that is what I use now for my mono. Could it be that I was using too small of a diameter line? Any ideas?

JFish

Did you get a shop to spool it on or did you buy a spool and do it yourself? Braid needs a good bit of tension when you 1st spool it on, otherwise it will give you nothing but problems. If it goes on loose it will start binding & cutting into itself.

I've drunk the braid Kool-Aid, I'm a devoted convert now. The sensitivity is like night & day, after awhile you can feel everything your lure is doing, even tell what kind of bottom your fishing over. I can tell what's a hit, exactly when a bit of weed is stuck on my hook, if the lure is fouled. It's brilliant stuff. There isn't much of a difference between PowerPro & Tuf-Line, except Tuf-Line is 1/3 cheaper.

It's definitely more visible though, I add 30"+ of Seaguar flouro leader with a swivel connection. You should use a swivel anyway if you're spending alot of time chucking spoons. 20lb at night, downsize to 12lb casting after dawn.

Some people insist that you need some kind of backing, but I've never had a problem with straight braid slipping on the spool in 5 years using the stuff. Plus I'll take the peace of mind having that much extra line capacity.

The three fish from 5 hours fishing last night, back at it again tonight. Woohoo bring on the kings!

Aug19001.jpg

Aug19002.jpg

Aug19004.jpg

Guest rochesterking

Wow nice fish man congrats! Just wondering if I could get a little assistance. I'm not looking to pick anyones brain, I just had two small questions. First, I've been casting glows for a few years now and I love it. I run 10 pound trilene and mainly fish glow cleos in the 3/4 oz size. I run my trilene directly to qa small ball bearing swivel and I buy split rings to add to the eye of the spoon and thats where I connect my swivel to. Simple, should I be using a split ring or just connecting my ball bearing swivel directly to the cleo? Or for that matter should I not be using even a ball bearing swivel? Just looking to try and get the spoon to run as true as possible and wasn't sure about adding that split ring. Finally, another easy one....when I'm tired of casting, I fish roe off the bottom legally, no snagging, one small hook, etc. I have seen guys do very well doing this but have never actually asked what there setup was. I run an egg sinker, small bead, then barrel swivel in that order on my mainline. To the other end of the barrel swivel comes my 20 inches of flourocarbon then my hook and roe bag with some floaters inside the netting. I use the beer bottle as an indicator as I have learned from other guys and was just wondering if this is the correct rig to fish legally for kings. Any information will be much appreciated, so thank you very much in advance. Lastly, this site rocks and you guys truely have turned this into one of the best forum's I've seen! I'll be keeping some reports coming from the genny in a few weeks! Thanks again

If you use a sping rod/reel setup with spoons and even more so spinners then you should be using a swivel. If you use a baitcaster then it's an option used only if you believe that the leader connection to the braid (if you use leader as I do) is enhanced with the knot you tie to the swivel ( ie a clinch knot or palomar knot versus a uni knot which is used to tie the leader directly to the braid). Personally I use a uni knot at night when I'm using a baitcast setup tying 50lb braid to 30lb saltwater mono leader. It's not a 100% setup but it's still so strong that I've NEVER had a breakoff on a fish. After sun up I go to much lighter spin reel rig with 20lb braid and 12lb fluro down to 6lb fluro leader depending on light conditions. At that point I feel that I have to maximize the strength of my setup by using a small swivel and clinch knots/palomar knots. There are times when I'm down to 8 or even 6 lb fluro leaders. At those times I use a uni knot connecting the braid to a shock leader of stretchy mono like original Stren or Big Game 10 or 12lb. I then tie that to a swivel and the 6 or 8lb fluro leader. I do this to facilitate casting distance as the uni knot runs through your guides easily without damaging them. The stretchy mono shock leader provides a small amount of stretch on the original strike of a salmon hitting your lure (in my case it's usually a $15-$20 Japanese stick or crank) that can make a big difference between a caught fish or a lost fish stuck with your sawbuck in it's mouth,lol. Snidley

Did you get a shop to spool it on or did you buy a spool and do it yourself? Braid needs a good bit of tension when you 1st spool it on, otherwise it will give you nothing but problems. If it goes on loose it will start binding & cutting into itself.

I've drunk the braid Kool-Aid, I'm a devoted convert now. The sensitivity is like night & day, after awhile you can feel everything your lure is doing, even tell what kind of bottom your fishing over. I can tell what's a hit, exactly when a bit of weed is stuck on my hook, if the lure is fouled. It's brilliant stuff. There isn't much of a difference between PowerPro & Tuf-Line, except Tuf-Line is 1/3 cheaper.

It's definitely more visible though, I add 30"+ of Seaguar flouro leader with a swivel connection. You should use a swivel anyway if you're spending alot of time chucking spoons. 20lb at night, downsize to 12lb casting after dawn.

Some people insist that you need some kind of backing, but I've never had a problem with straight braid slipping on the spool in 5 years using the stuff. Plus I'll take the peace of mind having that much extra line capacity.

The three fish from 5 hours fishing last night, back at it again tonight. Woohoo bring on the kings!

Aug19001.jpg

Aug19002.jpg

Aug19004.jpg

hey man nice work on those fish, btw my phone works just fine! lol!

sucks i had to work in the morning i wanted to stay out!!

Paul, was wondering where you were, the last two nights would've been perfect for you, fresh runs have been coming in close around midnight like clockwork. Somebody ripped off my canoe (aargh!) so I'm stuck on the pier until I pickup a replacement. Last night it was glassy calm.......and you could hear them going nuts 300m offshore, it hurt.........alot <sniff>

And lol no Mikey, this time of year I don't hook up every time I'm out (though it's close). Lost the offshore wind and that downpour we had dumped alot of warm water into the harbours, temps were atleast 5 degs warmer than yesterday and shut the fishing down. Tried a couple different river mouths but blanked out last night.

Actually that's not entirely true, I did catch this last night :Gonefishing:

Aug20002.jpg

Hey CLofchik, do you always use a flouro leader? Even at night? I wouldn't think that them seeing the line would be a problem at night or do you use it for any other reason?

All I have been using over the past couple years is 8lb P-Line or Gamma to a steel leader with a swivel. I will be trying the powerpro again this year but 20lb not 8lb, hopefully casting isn't a problem. I just want to make sure I have a good set up.

Thanks,

JFish

Guest rochesterking

Thanks snidley, just one more small question, do you add a split ring to the eye of the lure, or connect your swivel directly to the lure's eye? Thanks again

Guest canada
Darn.. water temperature is on the rise.?eh?

staying about the same on the south shore rising big time again on the northside. Dam warm crap just won't get outta here :P:dunno:

Darn.. water temperature is on the rise.?eh?
staying about the same on the south shore rising big time again on the northside. Dam warm crap just won't get outta here :lol::(

Hey guys, this is summer, and we have another month of it :dunno::dunno::lol:

Hope it gets hot hot hot.

Don't worry guys, the salmon will come, just not yet B)

:P

i'm gonna give it a shot maybe monday night i'm on afternoons get off work at 130 am see how it goes maybe see someone out there i usually fish the whirlpool but i work close to port dont wanna step on anyones toes but where do i start???

Guest canada
Hey guys, this is summer, and we have another month of it :dunno::dunno::lol:

Hope it gets hot hot hot.

Don't worry guys, the salmon will come, just not yet :(

This is august, cool nights, days are getting shorter and big ole fresh kings should be slamming the glows, I hate hot,hot,hot ....I can't wait for cool crisp mornings and nice fresh breathable air come on Fall B):lol:

Guest Rockfish
Paul, was wondering where you were, the last two nights would've been perfect for you, fresh runs have been coming in close around midnight like clockwork. Somebody ripped off my canoe (aargh!) so I'm stuck on the pier until I pickup a replacement. Last night it was glassy calm.......and you could hear them going nuts 300m offshore, it hurt.........alot <sniff>

And lol no Mikey, this time of year I don't hook up every time I'm out (though it's close). Lost the offshore wind and that downpour we had dumped alot of warm water into the harbours, temps were atleast 5 degs warmer than yesterday and shut the fishing down. Tried a couple different river mouths but blanked out last night.

Actually that's not entirely true, I did catch this last night :lol:

Aug20002.jpg

Nice running into to ya last night Chris, had the gf out with me trying to teach her about the Salmon run and just had her flashing my glow spoons but no luck last night. :D How did u do after we left and thanks for the 2 spoons to try out other than the cleos I usually use :worthy:

got any pics opf the GF flashing your spoons Dave??? :P:D , does it work better than a light :lol::worthy:

That's Dave's " God Father", Jack ......he flashes all the fishermen to keep their eyes open when the trollin gets slow....... :)

Geez Bill guess I should have spelled it out, it was my fishing "girlfriend". :P She actually outfished me in the Hammy harbour a week ago, she got 4 gobies to my 2 but of course I was casting out further and trying for bigger fish. :lol:

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/index...=si&img=529

Dave .....the wimmins always outfish the men when you take them along !!! .......Is it beginners luck ........or do the ladies have that magic touch ?

icon3.gif

I've been Bass fishing over at Oakville Creek (it was very good, 8 saturday and 17 today including 2 Largemouths and a shaker chinnook). The guys I've talked to as they come in say that the Chinnooks have moved way offshore but then 1 fellow got a 44 inch chinnie in 80 feet off the creek. I bet they are sulking on the bottom and are hard to get to go as they are not staging yet and are still mostly silver. I've only caught 1 Chrommie in 4 outings so far and it was only 12lbs. but man do they pull on Bass gear!!! Salmon are tough nuts outside their feeding temperature zone and thats the case right now. I'll probably try tonight of Bronte to see if there is a maverick prepared to light it up. To rochester, I use a straight snap on my spoons so I don't use an o ring as well, just the eye itself. I don't think it would make much difference anyway. A snap swivel WOULD make a big difference but that does not mean it would be a bad difference. I happen to know that Clofchik uses a snap swivel being a spin fisherman and that guy gets into 'em. Using a baitcaster I feel that I get a better feel for how the spoon is thumping with the snap so thats how I ride. Changeout is easy too. snidley

I generally like to add a split ring on all my spoons, just by eye it looks like it frees them up a bit and gives a little more action compared to just attaching the snap directly on the eye. Down side of this is that they foul on themselves casting alot more often as well (hook flips back and catches on line). But that's just me.

BTW -- Snidely, have you looked at the forecast for tonight........ :worthy:

Archived