Too Early for Pier Fishing?

mikeymikey

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to Bronte last Sat night just from 2-3AM. Nothing going on while I was there. I guess the warm temps pushed em out at bit. I'll be trying again maybe once before this coming long weekend.

JFish

I was there this morning. LOTs of Shad right in the inner harbour :worthy: That's good! Trolled around trying to find fish and about 5am I hit a 20lb hen on a glow J13. Then shortly after a 10lb Sheepie on a Hardcore . What a pig! Nothing outside the harbour after that but I tossed a few casts in the inner harbour on the way in and nailed a 4lb smallie where the Shad were. I talked to big Dave on the pier and he got 2 Chinnies on a Petes spoon and said another sheepie was caught as well. East winds usually blow them in and it was moving from NE to Due East all morning. The guys out trolling deep were saying not much going on out there. I'd say they are still scattered but bait in the inner harbour is a very positive thing. If you guys don't do well at Bronte slip over to 16 Mile(Oakville Creek) because Shad in the inner there means lots of big Smallies, Drum, baby Chinnies and even Steelies. I got 17 on Sunday(including 2 LARGEMOUTH)Snidley

Guest canada

I noticed a few shad around port d last week aswell, saw the bassies smashing them at first light aswell, bringing my bass gear with me tonight. Did that alot last fall chinny's at night when the light comes up smallie heaven :worthy:

Lol Sixteen Mile after dark is alot different off the pier than in the canoe, there's so many chucklehead Oakville kids that wander around down there after last call & the Timmies closes. Heh almost got puked on there Saturday night after a group had a pretty festive night.

Guest fishin' musician
I was there this morning. LOTs of Shad right in the inner harbour :worthy: That's good! Trolled around trying to find fish and about 5am I hit a 20lb hen on a glow J13. Then shortly after a 10lb Sheepie on a Hardcore . What a pig! Nothing outside the harbour after that but I tossed a few casts in the inner harbour on the way in and nailed a 4lb smallie where the Shad were. I talked to big Dave on the pier and he got 2 Chinnies on a Petes spoon and said another sheepie was caught as well. East winds usually blow them in and it was moving from NE to Due East all morning. The guys out trolling deep were saying not much going on out there. I'd say they are still scattered but bait in the inner harbour is a very positive thing. If you guys don't do well at Bronte slip over to 16 Mile(Oakville Creek) because Shad in the inner there means lots of big Smallies, Drum, baby Chinnies and even Steelies. I got 17 on Sunday(including 2 LARGEMOUTH)Snidley

Snidley, I was unaware that they made a glow-in-the-dark J 13 or did you make your own?

I paint up my own using a Chartruse /White base and add glow paint on the bottom. works like a charm.

Is it a actual glow paint or was it a glow powder which you mixed with some sort of clear paint?

if so, which clear paint/coat did you use?

Is it a actual glow paint or was it a glow powder which you mixed with some sort of clear paint?

if so, which clear paint/coat did you use?

I bought some glow powder paint from Steve Fortune of Fortune lures. I use clear nailpolish from the dollar store and apply a coat , sprinkle on the powder paint, coat again sprinkle etc. You get a longer lasting glow the thicker the paint. It really works extremely well. I'm sure there's other powder glow paint but if you can get the Fortune stuff it's the best IMO. snidley

I have a full box of glow stickbaits and crankbaits but did not have much luck on them. To be fair I didn’t give them enough time either.

I have custom glow painted husky Jerk, big shad rap, a couple of Storms, small jointed rap... Of the shelf/factory glow, I have glow Storms (various models) with full glow or just hint of belly glow in different glow colors, Challenger stickbaits, some Salmo lures, some Yo Zuri.

Obviously I don’t have glow J13, so that will be my next project.

Powder definitely works and it is a great thing, but you can also buy spray can which is more elegant waterproof solution. I can recommend GLO-Paint or Krylon Glowz spray, applied in as many coats as you wish.

I heard many good things about Fortune spoons, but there is one spoon that does not get mentioned too much – Moonshine spoon. It has glow so strong that I honestly think it spooks salmon when fully charged with UV light. The glow lasts for long time and they also have perch pattern in all glowing colors.

I bought some glow powder paint from Steve Fortune of Fortune lures. I use clear nailpolish from the dollar store and apply a coat , sprinkle on the powder paint, coat again sprinkle etc. You get a longer lasting glow the thicker the paint. It really works extremely well. I'm sure there's other powder glow paint but if you can get the Fortune stuff it's the best IMO. snidley

Where/How can I buy some of those Powders from FortuneLures? ONline? Localshop?

I don't think FortuneSpoons sell the glo powder anymore. He also doesn't visit the piers with his cart because of agreements with tackle shops that carry his spoons. You can pick them up retail at Bronte Outdoors, Fisherman's Pier (Burlington Skyway) or off his Ebay store. LureMaking.Com still sells the powder and the heat'n'dip powder coat, but it doesn't glow as brightly as Fortune's SuperGlo, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Which side at Dalhousie is usually the lure chucking side?

I'm thinking about running out there on the weekend, don't think I've ever fished the outer piers there.

you are probably better off casting on the sides with the water...I don't think you will catch too many casting toward the parking lots, and the guys who have boats trailered at the marina probably won't be too impressed with little glow in the dark pieces of metal pinging off thier boats :Gonefishing::huh::Gonefishing:

Guest canada
Which side at Dalhousie is usually the lure chucking side?

I'm thinking about running out there on the weekend, don't think I've ever fished the outer piers there.

Both piers are equally as good, just not yet, the west ( lakeside park) has been getting a few fish but it gets busy anywhere from 3/4 to the end is good for chucking spoons. Actually if its real busy at the end try 3/4 of they way out before the crowds you'd be surprised but it seems the crowds can shut the fish down but a couple of hundered feet away you may be catching. The eastside (marina,light house) is in my opinion equally as good and I expect it will be a zoo this weekend aswell.

It's funny oneside can be good one night and the other the next, when the fish come in more heavy both side usually produce sometime during the night. Also you may see fish hitting over on the westside then a couple hours later the eastside will start. I like the guys that run over from pier to pier :Gonefishing: ......it's better to stay put and wait them out in my opinion. Maybe I'll see you down there sometime, I'm planing on heading out tonight weather permitting, I'm not into pier chucking in the rain :Gonefishing:

ill be heading to the west pier after baseball tonight!

but no one else should come, theres no fish there, never was, never will be, you'll be wasting ur time if u go... so yea... goto the whirlpool i hear there packed ontop of one another!

muhahahha!!

Still think it's too early. I was out there Wednesday night for a few hours. Out of like 20 guys 2 fish caught in like 6 hours. My prediction is it won't be till second week in September before there are any good numbers in there. We're in for a whole of warm bright sunny days which will keep the water temp up and it'll be light out longer than the dull cloudy days we've been having.

Archived