Why worry about ARA's?

Dan Andrews

She done it to herself Daniel. And gave hunters a bad name in my estimation.

In the video she claimed she went after it because she heard it was in the area.

So she obviously was not hunting for the meat like yourself and most other hunters.

To me it's that kind of display which will hurt your sport.

I scanned through a few comments and agree with this one.

I'm not a PETA fan, in fact I hate animal rights goofballs; God put animals on Earth for humans to use IMO. But why would you want to kill a rare and beautiful animal like that FOR SPORT?! Especially if you're not going to eat it! What an idiotic hick woman.

She done it to herself Daniel. And gave hunters a bad name in my estimation.

In the video she claimed she went after it because she heard it was in the area.

So she obviously was not hunting for the meat like yourself and most other hunters.

To me it's that kind of display which will hurt your sport.

I scanned through a few comments and agree with this one.

I'm not a PETA fan, in fact I hate animal rights goofballs; God put animals on Earth for humans to use IMO. But why would you want to kill a rare and beautiful animal like that FOR SPORT?! Especially if you're not going to eat it! What an idiotic hick woman.

Who says she's not going to eat it.

Who says she's not going to eat it.

Your right HC, we don't know.

But she said she was going after it because it was there.

That alone put her in a unfavourable spot.

She came across as a sport hunter, not one who is looking

to put food on the table.

The reporter stated she said she didn't have room for a

mounted buck. Does that mean the head, or the whole animal.

There was no talk at all about all the meat at her disposal now.

Also from what I read about field dressing, it's something you

want to get at as quickly as possible so the meat doesn't spoil.

We don't have all the data, so who knows.

But the way it was broadcasted, gave all the anti-hunters the

fuel they needed.

An albino deer is a rarity because it is a genetic aberration. It lacks the natural colouration that help camouflage the creature. Taking Darwin's theories at face value, the lack of pigment is a weakness,so why should it not be culled?

I have mixed feelings on this one.......A white deer is still a deer except the brown hair is white . I'm sure you wouldn't be able to tell the diff.when eating a steak from it . It's another case of the "bambi syndrome". The only people who curse hunting & have a right to frown on hunters are 100% vegetarians. I wonder if our sweet Opra , peta's sweetheart $billionaire is a vegan.....I also wonder what the same naysayers would say if that caucasian deer went through someones windshield & killed a human being ? The only prob. I have with this whole thing is going after an animal simply because it's hide is a different color. More info should have been added about consuming the venison . No hunting regs were broken & I only know too well how the media (with plenty of $$$ from certain groups with a cause) , can brainwash the masses so very easily ....... ( I am an owner of a snarling lock -jawed- insane -time bomb called a pit bull) & I know how the media works......The hunter in this case should know , by putting herself on camera with this deer , there would be some negative publicity .........

I have mixed feelings on this one.......A white deer is still a deer except the brown hair is white . I'm sure you wouldn't be able to tell the diff.when eating a steak from it . It's another case of the "bambi syndrome". The only people who curse hunting & have a right to frown on hunters are 100% vegetarians. I wonder if our sweet Opra , peta's sweetheart $billionaire is a vegan.....I also wonder what the same naysayers would say if that caucasian deer went through someones windshield & killed a human being ? The only prob. I have with this whole thing is going after an animal simply because it's hide is a different color. More info should have been added about consuming the venison . No hunting regs were broken & I only know too well how the media (with plenty of $$$ from certain groups with a cause) , can brainwash the masses so very easily ....... ( I am an owner of a snarling lock -jawed- insane -time bomb called a pit bull) & I know how the media works......The hunter in this case should know , by putting herself on camera with this deer , there would be some negative publicity .........

As I stated she done this to herself.

Hunting for food is fine.

Hunting for a mount....one's asking for the kind of comments that were posted

Well said Bill and Dan :D People today look for nothing but the negative in everything. Just because it's an albino deer means nothing. Granted it is a rare find but a deer is a deer.

What's the difference if you heard there was a huge fish somewhere and you went after it and caught it :dunno::dunno:

To me we as the public have to learn where to draw the line :D

JMHO no shooting the messenger :lol:

This deer is not a rare species. In fact we won't ever know how many albino deer are born because their white appearance lables them as first targets for predators. Do you know why fawns have spots? Their only defense is camouflage and their lack of scent at a very young age and their ability to lay still, curled up on the forest floor in the face of danger, gives them the appearance of a small mound and their spots look like spots of sun shining through the canopy. Their only smell is in their hooves which is so subtle its thought that only the mother can track them.

Their is 2 incredible stories here in my eyes. This deer grew to be an adult despite its lack of camouflage. The other is that this women was determined and skilled enough to choose an individual deer and track it to harvest. I couldn't dream of doing that but if I could I would pick the weaker or disadvantaged animal like this one. Can you imagine if this was a rare species and it could breed more albino deer :D . That wouldn't be good for the deer now would it?

How these anti animal use people convinced anyone that this women wasted this deer for sport is beyond me. It is illegal to let the meat of harvested wildlife go to waste. Nothing suggested she didn't have it processed or intend to eat it. The deer numbers are high there, so she contributed to deer management. The only beef I had with the news report is the reporter suggested she might sell the mount to a sporting goods company which would be illegal here in Canada.

Dan I am surprised by your suggestion that she did this to herself, especially as a sportsman targeting the bigger pike in Martindale for the pike off. I realize you do not agree this women is a bad person and that you were pointing out why the other side might see things differently. However the reason I posted this was to demonstrate the lack of understanding by the non-hunting community and how they are simply blinded by the kill.

They took a non factor (albino) and turned this successful hunting story into a murder trial. They follow it with a BS comment about man needing to find compassion for all living things and follow it with pictures of the cute little eyes of new born fawns. It's just like the ARA's to use the kittens eyes to pull open purse strings. We hunters not only find peace and belonging in nature during the hunt, but we selflessly protect those fawns and their habitat and feel a loss when they are wasted to auto collisions. Yes she is guilty of opening up a discussion about hunting. If it were argued strictly on facts instead of blind emotion, their wouldn't have been over 1600 angry comments.

This deer is not a rare species. In fact we won't ever know how many albino deer are born because their white appearance lables them as first targets for predators. Do you know why fawns have spots? Their only defense is camouflage and their lack of scent at a very young age and their ability to lay still, curled up on the forest floor in the face of danger, gives them the appearance of a small mound and their spots look like spots of sun shining through the canopy. Their only smell is in their hooves which is so subtle its thought that only the mother can track them.

Their is 2 incredible stories here in my eyes. This deer grew to be an adult despite its lack of camouflage. The other is that this women was determined and skilled enough to choose an individual deer and track it to harvest. I couldn't dream of doing that but if I could I would pick the weaker or disadvantaged animal like this one. Can you imagine if this was a rare species and it could breed more albino deer :D . That wouldn't be good for the deer now would it?

How these anti animal use people convinced anyone that this women wasted this deer for sport is beyond me. It is illegal to let the meat of harvested wildlife go to waste. Nothing suggested she didn't have it processed or intend to eat it. The deer numbers are high there, so she contributed to deer management. The only beef I had with the news report is the reporter suggested she might sell the mount to a sporting goods company which would be illegal here in Canada.

Dan I am surprised by your suggestion that she did this to herself, especially as a sportsman targeting the bigger pike in Martindale for the pike off. I realize you do not agree this women is a bad person and that you were pointing out why the other side might see things differently. However the reason I posted this was to demonstrate the lack of understanding by the non-hunting community and how they are simply blinded by the kill.

They took a non factor (albino) and turned this successful hunting story into a murder trial. They follow it with a BS comment about man needing to find compassion for all living things and follow it with pictures of the cute little eyes of new born fawns. It's just like the ARA's to use the kittens eyes to pull open purse strings. We hunters not only find peace and belonging in nature during the hunt, but we selflessly protect those fawns and their habitat and feel a loss when they are wasted to auto collisions. Yes she is guilty of opening up a discussion about hunting. If it were argued strictly on facts instead of blind emotion, their wouldn't have been over 1600 angry comments.

Dan you know I don't have a problem with people hunting/fishing for food, or if necessary for a cull.

The reason I said this is, had she kept a low profile, shared the experience with friends and

family, the situation would not be blown out of proportion.

As you know there are way to many bleeding heart groups out there,

including ( P)eople (E)ating (T)asty (A)nimals, who thrive on stuff like

this.

That was my only point.

I thought so Dan.

I however will never keep a low profile and don't understand why we should. Hunters are low profile by nature. We have to be or you'll go 2 years with only 2 squirrels and a tiny doe to show for it (by the way my first deer is well spoken for :D landowner, apple supplier etc). But why should we cower like criminals? We should celebrate our lifestyle and sticking your head out should be rewarded.

This is exactly what I wrote the post about. Read the topic title. Why should we worry about ARA's? 1: We're in the right. 2: Their arguments are misleading the public. The last thing I suggest hunters do at this point is stand down. We should be making the news and pointing out the mistruths, the uneducated or misleading animal rights activists propaganda and if we don't educate the public we stand to lose our right to do so.

I wish the lady who shot this deer had explained why she chose this deer. It was a perfect demonstration of why any deer predator would have chosen the exact same deer. Its the same reason why all 4 duck hunters in a blind all blasted the same green teal in the middle of the flock of mallards. It was instinct. She selected a deer, not picked on one. :D

Maybe a soup bone from the next one :mellow:

Reflecting on my choice of words, I agree

low profile is unacceptable.

However, unless people involved in various sports,

or causes or whatever, stand together in great

numbers, they will be defeated, by groups who

want to topple them.

Unfortunately one just has to look at how many rights

have been lost in North America in such a short amount

of years.

And all done by small bleeding hearts minorities.

We have lost the right to speak about various nations,

various ethnic groups. It's now against the law in some

countries to question history. We cannot voice an opinion

about various sexual preferances. The lords prayer has

been taken out of thousands of schools. Saying merry

christmas is a no no in many areas. Nativity Scenes which

at one time common place, are reduced to a few.

Various courts and government building can no longer refer

to ''god''.

The point being, if a group that has been around for a long time

doesn't take responsibility for themselves, and stand united and

speak up, eventually some minority group will succeed in bringing

them down if that is their intention.

I use to hunt at one time. Went through the training course many years

ago, got my licence had a beauitiful rifle, with a bushnell scope.

Should never of let my license expire. I would love to hunt down some

food.

I guess looking at it from a hunting point of view, still in my blood,

she had every right to do what she did.

My mistake was thinking keeping a low profile would stop the ARA

from harrassing sportsmen.

The way to stop them is unite and be noticed. But as I said there

has to be numbers doing this, as the bleeding hearts groups seem

to be making more noise then the groups they are attacking.

They'll be begging us for table scraps if it ever does come to a depression. I will oblige once my family has been fed.

Dan I agree with you there. Both we don't make enough noise and stand out as members of society and unfortunately only the bad apples do. That and they'll never leave us alone just because we're quiet. I plan on exercising my rights all the way to pushing the envelope. I'll be walking my shotgun over my shoulder to the local range come Sunday. :mellow:

Guest BOWED-UP

'THE GOOD LORD GRANTED FREE WILL'; UNFORTUNATELY RETARDATION IS IN THE GENE POOL". There are quite a few genetically different deer out there- go by the army base by OVID NEW YORK(SENECA LAKE). WHAT gets me is that this deer is not over in bundance! Furthermore, this ignorant, unethical, person(notice I didn't say hunter) whole heartedely be boastful. Basically it was her ame to get this deer, but didn't figure on the vast majority calling her on her it. Granted the only difference between this deer and any other is COLOR. But the "HOW GREAT AM I" look what I did. By her saying I don't have room to get this deer mounted is just plain baloney, and more scrupulas is she not going hungry. There should be a written exam on the ethical issue before one is given the PRIVELEDGE to hunt. Same goes for mutilated fish

While having my my coffee here at work I read this post. Thanks chilli . I also hunt deer although this year I had to drop out of the hunt due to a bad knee. Well I guess I'll have to wait til next season. I think that as a hunter you have to realise that 10% of the population hunts and 10% are Anti's and 80% sit in the middle not really caring about the issue one way or the other enough to do anything about it. It is very important that as hunters we don't help shift the balance the wrong way. Because if we do, hunting will simply get voted out of existance.

I think the news coverage of her sucessful hunt/harvest really did nothing one way or the other. Also keep in mind that our US neighbors have a different attitude about some things, which is where this took place. The one being, that once she took the deer it was hers to do with as she wanted. It was her business and no one elses.

Guest BOWED-UP

Like many controversal issues, my stand is "was it necessary for her to take this buck! even more emphasis that the buck was "rare". I, myself , am a meat hunter. Sure had I myself shot this buck would have been smiling(we have to be honest), but also I have enough character and discpline to realize this animal is a rarity should be preserved! True I wasn't there! It is easier to speak , but when one is involved (especially when adrenaline is going) the clarity of judgement can be difficult. With further evaluation, When she expressed herself for the whole world to see, it was just another average day. What it boils down too is " can one truly sleep sound ", b/c being a true sportsman is to advocate preservation.

My uncle shot one when I was a kid. We ate it. Actually there is an area where I'm from in NY, it's called Romulus that has a healthy population of albino deer. It used to be an Army base when I was a kid and only the soldiers could hunt it. I know of another spot that has quite a few about 60 miles from the base, hunters get some every year and there still doing fine. I have seen quite a few when I was a kid, even a 3 legged deer. I could've swore was a kangaroo the way it hopped. They aren't as rare as peta makes it out to be and I believe it is just a mutation or lack of a certain gene.

Guest BOWED-UP

Definitely, I don't know anything about genetics but the good lord wanted that way, "it is what it is". Th's the place I'm thinking about ROMULUS". The topic hit nerve. Besides normal routine of family and all that exist, my gettaway from life is the love of outdoors. If one doesn't question than it's not important but if this is the case who's responsibilty? I believe each and every one of us. We have one planet.

I just checked youtubes deer hunting videos. There are lots of them and plenty have 1500+ comments. There was a lot of comments by hunters and lots of comments by the anti's/ARA's . I guess if you don't want to hear negs from the crazies don't post it on youtube. :Gonefishing: . I have heard it all my life so chilli grow some thick skin. Tell them better in your freezer than in the windshield of their car.

Actually this video wasn't posted by a hunter. It was captured from the news report by ARA's, then posted as anti hunting propaganda. In fact the girl probably told reporters that she was going to feed her family with this deer, a claim historically reserved for men, but not only do news reporters not post the entire story but they only post the sensational parts. The ARA would have filtered out any other positive side to this story.

Sorry bowed up but we disagree. This was not a rare deer and she did have the right to brag. If I know there's a albino deer on my hunting area, not only will I be gunning for it, but I'll be sure it gets reported harvested or not. This is an opportunity to engage the non-hunting public about the importance of hunting. I won't have it mounted either but if the local CA wants the head or Hyde, they'll be welcome to it. Should make a good conversation piece in one of their nature classrooms.

Here's some info about albino moose ......this one from Idaho , where they are protected .

Is a white moose or deer easier prey ? Maybe in the fall season but in the winter , the snow may help them as it does with snow shoe rabbits which turn white during the winter......

http://www.danielnpaul.com/AlbinoMoose.html

Archived