Anyone Moose hunting this year?

Surf and Turf

Anyone Moose hunting this year?

I can't believe that the summer is already behind us and we're heading into hunting season! We're heading out on Thursday for Friday's opener in unit 26. Hoping that we have our moose down the first couple of days and spend the rest of the week fishing, drinking beer and telling stories! It doesn't get much better!

Still have to pack, sight in rifle, practice moose calling which is a perfect way to wake up kids for school (dog and wife loves it too, Ha!), etc. It's going to be a busy couple of days!

Ya summer almost over but not the temps won't be hunting Moose starting with waterfowl then on to deer good luck on your trip hope you dont need a third plane for that beer lol

be safe and and get your Moose

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck moose slayer! We made out well last week although I think the warm temps have thrown things off. I shot a 6 point spiker the afternoon of the 16th on my way into my calling spot. It was in full velvet! Buddy shot another spiker the following Wed. I will give full report once I have the pictures from the other guys. 

22 minutes ago, mooseslayer said:

Awesome...congrats!  We leave 7pm...I am fired up and ready to go...except for that 13 hour drive. I have the airgun dialed in and ready for grouse.I wish the weather was going to be cooler but you have to take what you get.

GO GET THEM MOOSESLAYER

2 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

Good luck moose slayer! We made out well last week although I think the warm temps have thrown things off. I shot a 6 point spiker the afternoon of the 16th on my way into my calling spot. It was in full velvet! Buddy shot another spiker the following Wed. I will give full report once I have the pictures from the other guys. 

Way to go Surf and Turf can't wait for the pics you will have some good eating's for the winter for sure. sounds like your moose hunt ended fast which is always nice did you hunt any grouse or do any fishing after you got your Moose down?

Thanks gunner, yep both of them looked nice and tender! No grouse to be found but did get into the pics on Thu. and Fri., not in their usual spots though, had to really hunt for them. Will have "Red Neck Surf and Turf" soon enough! Walleye and Moose, MMMMM.   

Love hearing the success stories. Heading up to the camp in a couple of weeks, WMU47 so it is an easy drive. With the drastic cuts in tags we were extremely         fortunate to draw a bull tag!! Now all we have to do is fill it. Even if we don't, a week in the bush away from the city and work will be well worth it!!

Good luck Bubba! That is good luck to get a bull tag in 47 for sure! May the luck continue, when you fill your tag that's always pure skill though! ha

My last 3 moose hunting areas were Elliot Lake (Upper Mace) ,  Moose river Crossing (Matagami R. mvu 26) and Thunder Bay -Arrow Lake-Rose Lake ,mvu13)

We did well in all areas . On one draw ,6 of us drew 5 tags ...2 cow & 3 bulls ......many good memories of hunting ....and perch/grouse dinners .   :Gonefishing::th_fudd:

Smerch, it sounds like you must have had some great hunts and I'm sure great memories! I doubt we will ever hear of a group of 6 ever pulling 5 tags again! 

On 2016-09-30 at 1:03 PM, mooseslayer said:

Awesome...congrats!  We leave 7pm...I am fired up and ready to go...except for that 13 hour drive. I have the airgun dialed in and ready for grouse.I wish the weather was going to be cooler but you have to take what you get.

We used everything from air guns to slingshots to get a few grouse ......A 22 rifle would work great if going out strictly for them ......

This little gem would be ideal ........:D

v-oYqxR3luVkxHEIPN5mecWiOfdrT4v70XD-zjJ7

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from Our moose hunt WMU 54 (Haliburton Forest) Got a cow the first day and saw another later in the week. No bulls to fill our 2 remaining tags. Quite a few grouse as well. Like the last several hunts, much too warm and rained every day but one. Always a good time.

Archived