Shot Gunner out of Season

bwizb

I'm getting ready for shotgun opener next week.  I've scouted the property I've got permission to hunt, set my stand, trail camera etc.  Sat out there this morning.  Just as the sun is cresting the trees..."BANG".  Some idiot in the next field over is using a shotgun (I assume, I guess it could be a rifle).  Ruined this beautiful morning.  Climbed out of my tree stand and headed for home.  The season for shotgun starts next week.  The sad part is, this is the second time.  Last week while scouting, another shot.  Then at the beginning of this week, a nice gut pile.  Then later in the week, the hide, leg trims and carcass...ALL IN MY PARKING SPOT!!

Fed up with morons ruining this for me.  I've only been hunting a few years, and I do everything by the book.  It's so frustrating to try and harvest a deer legally, when it seems everyone around you doesn't give a crap.  No permission to hunt? "who cares", firearm out of season? "whatever",  you trying to hunt legally?, "here's a fat gut pile and carcass, welcome to the neighborhood."

No wonder every door you knock on is greeted with, "you ain't hunting here!", these dick beaters are ruining this sport, I can't stand it! 

Guest brookie slayer

Preach on brother..... I've been going through this  myself for 20 + yrs.... I could tell you some stories...Monday morning will be the usual gong show....but the ministry keeps spitting out licences to anyone who's got the $300 or whatever it is these days...some have absolutely no f'n clue.

Guest brookie slayer

These aren't licensed hunters that are doing this...I'm aware of that...poachers aren't hunters...got a little off topic...but there is a lot of "licensed hunters" that have no regard for the rules..

Ya it's getting bad out there with poachers i haven't caught one in the act but a few years ago i was bow hunting and as i was getting out of just at dark and was walking back to my truck and by this time it was black out and i heard 1 riffle shot well i know what that was POACHER makes me sick

I think there is more poaching going on than we think . With the use of deadly accurate crossbows with scopes and lasers , many more deer ,etc. can be taken quietly ....  I can also see them using  drones next to scout and mark areas where the deer roam in the bush......It's obvious there is not enough people to enforce the laws we have now . That encourages poaching .

poachers are everywhere 

my almost poacher story

i was hunting on manitoulin island at a family friends property. my tree stand was set on a trail that crossed a bush rd that led to the back of some other propertys.

i had a doe decoy out and as i came out of the tree stand a jeep came down the bush rd and jack lighted the decoy. i started screaming because i was behind the decoy. they drove off.

the owners were not happy and put a gate across the rd the next year

Here's a nice update for everyone.  Thursday, 4 trucks parked all over our spot before we got out.  Even though we are the only ones permitted to hunt there, we decided not to confront and went for coffee.  Couldn't get out again until Sunday.  ATV tracks everywhere, bush ripped up, all in front of my stand and blind.  And to top it off, a pile of bones and trim neatly placed in my walking trail on the way in, with a doe hide with no evidence of a tag.   Why do these people not understand that they are the reason we have a public opinion problem.  No one sees the conservation me and my hunting buddies do, the amount of time we spend in the outdoors, the habitat we want to save or the groups we support that make positive changes in our environment.  We do this to allow for not only our, but our children's ability to harvest year after year.  No, they see Jackwad Poacher who goes out at night spotlighting and stealing with no regard for safety or landowner rights.  Way to go Mr.Poacher, I hope the deer was worth it, you will be the reason my town will put bylaws in to completely shut down hunting.  Great job.  

No call to the police ,  MNR ?  Their vehicles , and weapons could be seized and a lot of $$$$ could be had to help with all those costs for law enforcement . As it stands , they will continue to hunt and tear up the bush with impunity ......:dunno:

With the limited resources the MNR works with they need our help. The CO's are stretched so thin, that the chance of them happening on these guys is miniscule. It is up to every law abiding hunter or citizen for that matter to call out this type of behaviour. If you witness it, and your not comfortable confronting them, then report it at the very least. As Smirchly said, take their license plates down, or better take a picture of them, their vehicle and license plates, and report them to the MNR and police. Notify the landowner of the activity and also take the time to tell his neighbours what's going on, and tell them if you see these guys or vehicles around call the MNR and the land owner. The same guys are probably trespassing on the neighbours property too and saying that they are friends of the property owner you know. 

Sorry but if your not doing something about it you are actually part of the problem. Every time they get away with it they will get bolder. They need to know it's not just the CO's they have to worry about but potentially everyone in the area. 

Next year you very well be on here complaining that the landowner won't allow you to hunt anymore, because he's just had if with the BS, and just cuts everyone off. Be proactive and help yourself and everyone  at the same time, don't wait for someone else to do it for you.

6 hours ago, bwizb said:

Here's a nice update for everyone.  Thursday, 4 trucks parked all over our spot before we got out.  Even though we are the only ones permitted to hunt there, we decided not to confront and went for coffee.  Couldn't get out again until Sunday.  ATV tracks everywhere, bush ripped up, all in front of my stand and blind.  And to top it off, a pile of bones and trim neatly placed in my walking trail on the way in, with a doe hide with no evidence of a tag.   Why do these people not understand that they are the reason we have a public opinion problem.  No one sees the conservation me and my hunting buddies do, the amount of time we spend in the outdoors, the habitat we want to save or the groups we support that make positive changes in our environment.  We do this to allow for not only our, but our children's ability to harvest year after year.  No, they see Jackwad Poacher who goes out at night spotlighting and stealing with no regard for safety or landowner rights.  Way to go Mr.Poacher, I hope the deer was worth it, you will be the reason my town will put bylaws in to completely shut down hunting.  Great job.  

I don't understand why would you guy's  not confront them i'm not being smart with you but i tell ya that's another way us hunters are losing hunting spots. Poaching is bad

but the trespassing is almost as bad especially when they are ripping up the land owners property if this was me i would have called the cop's and let them sort it out if they were able to be there or not now we as hunters have to stand up for each other but not only us but for the land owners that give us permission to hunt on there land 

Guest brookie slayer

I've been more proactive the last 10 yrs or so and seems to be working... slightly....every 10 you scare away there's 20 more that are waiting in the wings...calling the police is a waste of time.....but I agree we have to be more diligent...but it's difficult unless your checking your spots daily...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can appreciate the questions on why I didn't confront, here's the main one, I'm not going into the bush to confront a poacher with a shotgun, he's already demonstrated lack of regard for the law.  Here's a couple responses, to smerchly, by the time I spoke with the land owner about it, the truck was long gone.  It was only after speaking to the land owner that I knew for sure it was the poachers I had heard previously.  To Surf and Turf, yeah, you have a point that the MNR is stretched thin, but to go as far as to say that I'm part of the problem is idiotic.  I have nothing to do with the poaching problem nor would contacting the MNR.  I know this, because I have, and 2 weeks later when they got back to me, from Thunder Bay, they said thanks for the report.  So, Surf and Turf, thanks for the advice, maybe dick remarks like that are actually part of the problem.  Maybe instead of trolling a hunting board to rag on a guy who's trying to vent some frustration, you could take a new hunter out and become part of the solution.  Trust me, I won't be back to complain, but you'll still be ready to slap the next guy down when he does.  Good on you.   

Archived