taxidermy! !!

FRANKROY

hi guys i have two monster perch  and  4giant pumpkinseed  im lookin to get mounted! the guy i was goin with only does fish in the fall so i missed my window with him .is there anyone else around you guys could suggest . im not lookin for no million dollar advanced taxidermy job  just simple old school mount  they are just gonna hang at my camp  please  and thank you .

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

I believe Kevin also does it. 

Ya I play around with it a bit occasionally, but only during downtime and mainly just reproductions now.  I'm assuming you are just looking for an old school skin mount?

Not to try and hijack the thread but what is the best way to get a fish done? Should I just take measurements and photos? I have a hard time keeping a fish nice enough for me to get it taxidermied. I would rather release them.

Yes if you are not getting a skin mount done you have to measure from tip of tail to tip of mouth make sure mouth is closed measure the girth the widest part of fish and take very clear pics of you fish all sides and top

3 hours ago, gunner-2 said:

Yes if you are not getting a skin mount done you have to measure from tip of tail to tip of mouth make sure mouth is closed measure the girth the widest part of fish and take very clear pics of you fish all sides and top

Thank you ! Does a skin mount look better ? 

Well i found that some replicas look very phony but then some look just like the real deal but you can really see the difference in both in my opinion 

the skin mount looks better but thats just me plus there is a difference in price 

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎15 at 3:46 PM, SamNicholson said:

Thank you ! Does a skin mount look better ? 

It's all a matter of personal preference, and the level of effort that goes into the reproduction.  If you're willing to get the best blank, with the best detail, and have someone do the work that puts some effort in, a reproduction will look beautiful.  A skin mount can also look beautiful, again depending on the level of work. 

For a fish that is just going to hang on a camp wall and generate some chat, a skin mount is the way to go. 

Either way , the paint job is important . Photos of the freshly caught fish ( preferably in the shade)  help the taxidermist paint it . I have done a few fish also but never got into using an air brush which does a nice job blending the colours . I used oils , diluted with thinners to speed up the drying time before applying a  clear coat spray . When freezing fish take care to keep the fins from breaking , especially the tail which can be wrapped in a damp cloth before putting the fish in a garbage bag in the freezer .

Frank ..... small fish like a crappie etc. take many hours to complete since it's the same process as larger fish ......extra care is needed since the skin may be more delicate than larger fish .  If you get them mounted , maybe in a group setting , it would be great to see the results .

3 hours ago, kevin said:

It's all a matter of personal preference, and the level of effort that goes into the reproduction.  If you're willing to get the best blank, with the best detail, and have someone do the work that puts some effort in, a reproduction will look beautiful.  A skin mount can also look beautiful, again depending on the level of work. 

For a fish that is just going to hang on a camp wall and generate some chat, a skin mount is the way to go. 

Your absolutely right Kevin it's all in the blank like i said some look like the real deal 

13 hours ago, smerchly said:

Either way , the paint job is important . Photos of the freshly caught fish ( preferably in the shade)  help the taxidermist paint it . I have done a few fish also but never got into using an air brush which does a nice job blending the colours . I used oils , diluted with thinners to speed up the drying time before applying a  clear coat spray . When freezing fish take care to keep the fins from breaking , especially the tail which can be wrapped in a damp cloth before putting the fish in a garbage bag in the freezer .

Frank ..... small fish like a crappie etc. take many hours to complete since it's the same process as larger fish ......extra care is needed since the skin may be more delicate than larger fish .  If you get them mounted , maybe in a group setting , it would be great to see the results .

smerch i have seen your paintings on fish and i can tell you i think it's amazing how you paint with a brush something i need to learn i use air brush but would love to learn with brush as well there is a lot more to it than just putting paint on blending in the colors mixing colors it's much more than just painting a fish it's art and you are very good at it i need you at the shop or i need these two girls amazing 

Those replicas are truly very professional .....wish I had that talent .  I know a few people who can paint or draw pictures that are amazing ....all of them are native Canadians .  Using the air brush and mixing colours is an art itself . I dabble for hours on each fish I paint , using all kinds of objects to make markings on the fish ...even use my fingers to blend in the oil paints . It can be frustrating at times trying to find that right shade of yellow/orange  or brown/green/black !.....  sometimes a complete wipe down with thinners & start over !  I only do a few fish each year , for a family member or friend , and it's always rewarding when it's finally ready to hang on the wall .....

BTW ....I think the easiest fish to mount is a walleye.......;)

49 minutes ago, WalleyeChaser said:

Glad eyes r easiest, when I get my 14lb Erie eye this yr I'll need it done lol ?

The eyes for the eyes are also easy  to make . I use those clear glass half moons they use for weights in vases ,etc.  They are super cheap and I just paint the flat side and insert into the eye's eye socket .  Many moons ago , I did a 14.5 lb.eye for a friend . It hung at C.T. at  Scott /Niagara for a few years . It was caught at night at Port Severn at hwy 69.....was the largest eye I've done.

I heard there was an Erie eye caught a couple weeks ago that was over 22 lbs ! ....?

22 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

I don't know about last week, but In 1943 one was caught and is the Ontario record.

http://www.recordfishcanada.com/walleye7.html

Ah....I think I was reading about the old record ....thanks Chris

Sometime in 1943 I would have weighed 22.25 lbs.........(born in March 43)    :D

15 minutes ago, WalleyeChaser said:

I know the longest eye came from lake temagami two yrs back thru the ice 

That because the fish was badly stretched while pulling it through a 4" hole !   :P

On 1/21/2017 at 11:18 PM, smerchly said:

Ah....I think I was reading about the old record ....thanks Chris

Sometime in 1943 I would have weighed 22.25 lbs.........(born in March 43)    :D

That fish was also the world record until 1960.

Archived