Gas

smerchly

This is fishing related as well as environmental ....heard just now on radio CKTB  talk show , "they" are going to double the minimum 5% ethanol to 10% . It's well known the gas mileage drops with ethanol , and it has caused damage to our boat motors & lines ,etc. But we are going to save the world you know !  It is also known that our Lib.government contributes millions of pesos to the ethanol lords & they , of course,  help them out at election time . We taxpayers are so generous.....

So , if we need to fill up more often buy burning  ethanol , are we really saving the planet ? The more we burn the more $$$ they get in gas taxes . I'm not sure about the U.S. gas ethanol rate , but I will be looking to find out .....or using non eth. gas ,  if it's still legal ....

You're right Smerch, it is part of the Liberal's grand "double down" plan on wasteful, non-effective, non-productive and non-sensical feel good programs that warm the hearts of Liberal voters. Fuel that comes from nice clean fields of corn instead of nasty oil sands! Guess they must think that all the farm equipment used to cultivate the land, plant the seed, fertilize, the fertilizer itself, harvest crop, transport to ethanol plant, energy to produce the ethanol, transport to market , is all powered by rainbows and sunshine! Not to mention the negative affect on fuel efficiency and the cost of all the damage being done to gas powered vehicles and equipment. Plus you can eat corn but not oil! Just say'n.

I think their secret agenda is to push the electric vehicles (EV) . They are fine for the big cities where one can navigate quicker by bicycle but have a roof over your head .  Good points about land use , fertilizers , etc.,  and I'm sure those corn fields could be used to feed the starving people on this planet ,rather than burn it in our gas tanks .  I've read some info about hydrogen as a fuel  alternative that looks good but may be too pricey now.....

Although this doesn't seem to be an issue here or with many Canadians , it's big on the agenda with our neighbours south of the border . It IS a political hot potato there and I am concerned with the ENVIRONMENTAL aspects to this . I keep in touch with Gas Buddy for local gas prices and sometimes chime in to the news related to vehicles  and fuel prices etc.   There is much concern on the American side , and as usual much of this ethanol $$$ is lining the pockets of people who know nothing about farming .  I quote one of many who has more concerns about the environment than any government official , and that applies to us as well ...  I agree we should at least have the option at the pumps . I'm sure most of us would select " no eth "

Here in corn country — where I live and have close relatives who grow corn and soybeans — I have seen firsthand the damage done by the ethanol subsidies.

Fields that should not have “row crops” growing on them because of erosion problems have been planted with corn. Some results: streams filling with silt; wind-blown erosion; destruction of native grasses, hedges, flowers and shrubs; less food, cover and nesting habitat for native birds, small mammals, butterflies, bees and other beneficial insects.

Don’t think for one second I am some tree-hugging environmentalist. I am not. But I have eyes and can see the damage done to natural areas by putting marginal farm land into production to pick up the money that comes from demand for corn to make ethanol. I see the huge amounts of water sucked out of the ground to grow that corn and make it into ethanol at the ethanol facilities.

Also: Several years ago a friend of mine told me about a vacation he took. He drove through the South and found a gas station that sold pure gasoline. His car’s gas tank was nearly empty. He filled it with the pure gasoline and checked his mileage. He got almost three miles a gallon more burning pure gasoline than he got using gasoline with a 10 percent ethanol blend. Imagine how many billions of dollars Americans could save using pure gasoline! Imagine how much closer car fleets would come to meeting government mileage requirements!

If people want to burn ethanol in their cars, should be allowed to do that. People who want to burn pure gasoline, they also should be allowed to do that. The demand for ethanol should be determined by what the American motoring public wants to buy.

On December 5, 2017 at 5:23 PM, smerchly said:

I think their secret agenda is to push the electric vehicles (EV) . They are fine for the big cities where one can navigate quicker by bicycle but have a roof over your head .  Good points about land use , fertilizers , etc.,  and I'm sure those corn fields could be used to feed the starving people on this planet ,rather than burn it in our gas tanks .  I've read some info about hydrogen as a fuel  alternative that looks good but may be too pricey now.....

And how long will it take them to develop an electric vehicle capable of towing my 16 ft boat??

and will that vehicle run out of charge before I make it to my launching point??

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:01 AM, Chrisb said:

If Tesla can make an electric semi I'm sure they can make an electric tow car.

Well, maybe Tesla can make it.

BUT, will I be able to AFFORD it on my pension?  Tesla is NOT a low-priced vehicle manufacturer!

When they produce them like candy , they should be cheaper than a gas car . They don't need gas tanks , engine coolants , pollution devices , cat.converters , ect .etc.  Good for the cities like T.O. that are clogged solid with vehicles .....

• 1 month later...

Farmers benefit in the higher price for corn due to ethanol. But corn is very hard on the land and needs a lot of fertilizer plus the roundup to kill the weeds before planting. Put the land to use growing corn for ethanol and you don't put it into food grains like wheat ..... guess where the price of wheat and bread goes :angry:....up. plus the corn goes to ethanol not food. My understanding is you can get ethanol with a cellulose based process. So..... take a "weed" like switch grass which will grow on any piece of c*&p soil and use it for ethanol. NOPE! Big agriculture has too much invested in corn for ethanol. Besides it makes too much sense for the politicians and could cost them votes with the farm lobby if they lose this type of income. As usual a lot of bs and people making money and forgetting common sense and the bigger picture.....the rest of us.

I read two articles today about a double tanker in B.C.& another in New south Wales in Australia crashing and setting off huge explosions . What a huge waste of corn/land that could feed millions of people and animals . I'd rather see the land used for growing hemp which makes excellent clothing , rope, etc. Politicos only look at the money factor as usual . ....another one of many reasons their "carbon foot print" tax is so phony .

...all trucks carrying explosive material need to be restricted to 80 km.with flashing lights & less on other roads....

http://nationalpost.com/news/fire-doused-after-tanker-truck-and-rail-car-collide-in-port-coquitlam-b-c

Gas pushing the $1.30 mark here at  $65 U.S. per barrel ......what will it be when we are back to $100 plus per barrel  ? .....may easily see $1.50  soon ?   :o

Have bike will travel  .....   B)

for those who live close to the border, will the custom officer hassle anyone who just go across for few hours to get gas and food supplies on weekly basis? Gas and some basic food such as milk and eggs, cheese, etc...and other food and consumer goods stuff are way cheaper across the border.  

On 2/3/2018 at 9:11 AM, fishfight said:

for those who live close to the border, will the custom officer hassle anyone who just go across for few hours to get gas and food supplies on weekly basis? Gas and some basic food such as milk and eggs, cheese, etc...and other food and consumer goods stuff are way cheaper across the border.  

Our children & grandkids shop there often for such items and still save money after bridge fees & our 80 cent dollar .  Just going for a case of beer & gas ( plus a 5 gal.Jerry can)  is worth the trip especially when the vehicle has a large tank . I believe they have your license plate on file and know how often you cross the ditch .

edit....Today ,Feb.4 th ....checking gas prices at my local place .....it went up 10 cents last night . The highest price as I write is $1.27.9 at "ECONO GAS"  . They sure pick strange names for the highest price in the region.   :huh:

With all of these issues with ethanol in gas particularly with marine engines...what are people using for their boat engines? Anyone experience any issues with 10% EtOH in gas? Personally, I have recently switched to Shell V-power.  It is definitely not cheap stuff.

• 3 months later...
On 2/6/2018 at 11:38 AM, duck&wine said:

With all of these issues with ethanol in gas particularly with marine engines...what are people using for their boat engines? Anyone experience any issues with 10% EtOH in gas? Personally, I have recently switched to Shell V-power.  It is definitely not cheap stuff.

Ya duck and wine I recently cheaped out for 60$ in my tanks and I made it out about a half mile on Erie and my 40 HP Mariner bogged down on me so I ended up just trolling with kicker to windmill from crystal beach.my motor has been running great And I usually use premium in it.i blasted it with seafoam at home running in driveway and it's back to normal so Im just emptying my second tank into my truck .hate having boat problems on lake arrrrgh?

I hate paying more for good gas but fishing is one of my hobbies and when it comes to things I love I will spend the money regardless.  I'm just glad I don't like ripping around the lake on a big Cigarette boat (but if I could afford a toy like that I could afford the gas) LOL.  I just got a new outboard and it explicitly says about E15 is not recommended.  I don't bother with any ethanol based on experience now and that goes with any small engines I have.  There is some mention of some biofuels but I've never seen them around Niagara that's for sure! 

Archived