Cold hands!!!

Bubba14

One of the things that keeps me from getting out much at this time of year is that my hands get really cold, really quick!! I see the pics of Cliff and Jack out there and wish I could join them but I would be in pain!! Does anyone have any tips or tricks for keeping their hands from freezing other than wearing gloves that will then affect the sensitivity of feeling something mouth the bait?

I saw an idea a while back and tried it but it didn't work for me. What the guy did was wear sport wrist bands and he had two hot pockets under each one, one on the topside and one on the underside of the wrist. It seemed like it would work but it didn't for me.

Thats all part of the game my friend ! If hot pockets didnt work the only thing i could recommend is one of those handwarmer things that go around your waist like a fanny pack and hang the rod over the side of the boat up off the bottom so u don't snag and leave it until a fish hits but not exactly an effective approach.you need to invent heated rod grips maybe.or maybe try a few different types of gloves your hands could possibly be sweaty which would make them freeze in colder weather.

I'm a centerpin fisherman. I'm also over 70. Once the weather gets down to 3C I wear cheap $6 fleece gloves, I also put the adhesive backed toe warmers in the gloves stuck on the palm. I put them in the gloves up to 1 hour before I fish, because they typically last at least 4 hours, and usually 5. This works for me right down to about -3C, after that I don't fish. Yes wearing gloves might make you miss a bite, but at least you are out there trying, which in my book is better than sitting at home, wishing you had gone. Costco has the toe warmers by the box for less than $15, and they last me for spring and fall. The gloves I get a Walmart or CTC.

Generally speaking...I dont like wearing gloves while fishing...so I just kind of suck it up..lol... in extreme cold having a couple of those hand warmers in my pocket helps out....I just keep changing hands with the rod and pockets.....lost a couple fish the other day when we where out by having the rod in "the wrong hand"....and line going limp changing hands...a couple swear words and a few laughs helps with that...then the real cold comes when you catch a fish..or even worse when the other person in the boat is hooking all kinds and you have to be the net man....lol....they have good mitts...with pockets in them for hand warmers....and also have opening you can flip for your fingers...so you can alternate and help stay warm

I'm with you Bubba ....now near 76 I feel the cold more .  I have tried the gloves with cut out finger-thumbs but it's the tips of the fingers that get cold quickly . I've tried the latex gloves inside a regular finger glove which helped a tad . ....keeps the skin dry at least . I got a few other types of snug fitting gloves at the dollar stores and they help even more . I'll take one glove off & blow warm lung air into them periodically . I can still use my spinning reel with them but take them off after icing a fish to keep them dry and keep the  slime off.

My feet are much warmer now since I got a pair of good  -100*  Baffin booties  ....but they weigh a ton ! 

.....and I carry a towel in my bag .....wet hands get cold fast .

Try wearing an oversized thick fleece layer under your winter coat. Make sure the fleece layer kind of sticks out from under the cuff of your coats sleeves. It will help keep your wrists warm. Alternate gloves. Some light fleece for fishing and something thicker for warm up after you get your hands wet. Gloves that aren't on your hands should go inside your coat or even better inside your fleece layer.

If you are suffering neuralgia in your hands, even the best hand warmers will not help. My mother is an avid angler, and used to love sledding. Not any more. The pain from the neuralgia is just too much, and being out in the cold is no longer enjoyable.

1 hour ago, bigugli said:

If you are suffering neuralgia in your hands, even the best hand warmers will not help. My mother is an avid angler, and used to love sledding. Not any more. The pain from the neuralgia is just too much, and being out in the cold is no longer enjoyable.

I know some who seem to have this ailment . The best answer I can think of when ice fishing is a nice warm hut . 

20 minutes ago, genec said:

Hut with floor!!!

plus a buddy heater

These pop up huts , like mine have no floor , but you can make a small floor with 2 pieces of plywood , hinged together . I have some of those 2'x2'x 1" foam interlocking mats that help on clean flat ice.  ( compact and very light weight)  ....helps keep the feet warm too .

I wear the flip mitt gloves that have a built in thin glove for fingers but a Mitt that flips over. It also has a pouch in the back that you can put a warmer.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rocky-flip-mitt-glove-0753905p.html#srp

For hunting I bought some electric warmers for about $10 out of China (came with 8 pads about 2inch square) and I wired to a rechargeable battery. I sewed put 2 of them in a hand muff built into my hunting jacket and it gets plenty hot. I want to find a hand muff that straps around my waist (had one and lost it) so I can do the same and have it to go with my floater suit or any jacket. 

This was what I bought...I didn't use the controller which I think allowed for low medium and high settings but might use it for the next  hand muff one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Clothes-Heating-Pads-8-In-1-USB-Adjustable-Temperature-DIY-Thermal-Vest/173767902343?hash=item28755fc487:m:mRtBaxBWRI_hm3un__dEReQ:rk:1:pf:0

Holy Moly M.S.....you must be snug as a bug in a rug !!  Those mitties are quite pricey , about $40 (and that's just for one )   :lol:

I have some heavy snowmobile mitts....no fingers , just a thumb . We used them when ice fishing near West Tree . When the rod bent we would pull the gloves off with our teeth & fight the fish with our bare hands !    Those were the "old" days .

Thanks for the reminder ....I'll take a pair of those mitts with me next ice trip .

15 minutes ago, mooseslayer said:

I think they were $30 or $34 last time I bought. I have a couple pairs and at least one extra left? because I lost one.I hate when that happens...

so the left one left .......  if you happen to lose a right .....your laughing .   :lol:

Good quality stuff should last a lifetime .  I still have my old hunting coat , bought at Russ Mosher's shop on St.Paul St. back in the late 50's , And the zippers back then were metal , made at Lightening Fastener on Niagara St.  Most products were made to last in those days , but that's bad for business now .....(cheap plastic China made stuff designed to fill our dump sites to the brim )

Be warm .....   :smiley_campfire-1:

Few tips that help me. I wear body under armour. With fleece pull over and sometimes my fleece track pants. I have a nice loop fleece neck collar and a cheap pair of fleece dollar store gloves. My wading boots are also over sized by one size for toe movement. I also carry a usb hand warmer that you can precharge at home in my pocket. It lasts about 3-4 hours. I dont like the gloves as hooks get caught in them often so i take them off frequently and put them inside my jacket against my body...and grip the hand warmer for a bit then put the gloves back on every so often. Those wool work gloves are ok...but the rubber nibs on them stick to your line. When ive had enough or the action slows down im done for the day...then grab a tims on the way home. A heated rod handle or electric gloves wow..you could be a rich man...lol

On 2/10/2019 at 1:08 PM, Bubba14 said:

One of the things that keeps me from getting out much at this time of year is that my hands get really cold, really quick!! I see the pics of Cliff and Jack out there and wish I could join them but I would be in pain!! Does anyone have any tips or tricks for keeping their hands from freezing other than wearing gloves that will then affect the sensitivity of feeling something mouth the bait?

I saw an idea a while back and tried it but it didn't work for me. What the guy did was wear sport wrist bands and he had two hot pockets under each one, one on the topside and one on the underside of the wrist. It seemed like it would work but it didn't for me.

I always use hot paws.. Shake em and they stay hot for 6 hours

Archived