Last weekend at buckhorn

Jwl1

Headed up to buckhorn last weekend.. in hopes of some walleye...maybe a musky...bass.....heck let's face it...whatever we could catch..lol...my brother has a place at theona park..so we had a bit of a guys fishing weekend...couldn't have asked for better weather....sunny skies all weekend...lake was at about 70 degrees..we thought would be ideal.....searching around we broke the ice with some perch...caught a few small largies along the way...in our quest for walleye..we where tipped off to a spot but it was simply too busy there...and we decided not to be " one of those guys"...and where happy to move from the crowds....we found a great pattern for perch in the weed edges and we stuck to that..catching probably 150 or more  ..we needed out about 20 nice ones for the pan...and everything else went to swim another  day....at one point Sunday morning we even had the sky point our way...lol..all in all a great adventure away from home...saw loon family....and osprey nest with young...ducklings...goslings along the way as well..... no huge ones...but there's always next time

20190622_090754.jpg

20190622_092806(0).jpg

20190623_184658.jpg

20190624_113855.jpg

20190624_062232.jpg

Was a great weekend ...its summer so I'm back to work all week.....really cuts into the fishing time...no more 2 or 3 day reports in a row every week like my winter steelie reports....lol...good times with my younger brother and his father in law.....lots of fishing....drinking...hanging out at the trailer and eating good..Haha....we caught tons of small fish.....some beers and geetar by the fire....couldn't ask for much more

Good report & pics JW......I fished at Deer Bay many years ago , got my first ski while tossing minnows with a small shot,  near the weed beds .There was a loon sitting on her nest on a tiny island there .  It was real expensive to stay at the Beachwood  Lodge .....Room + 3 meals a day , was $7.50 .   B)

Funny how fishing baits have changed over the years.   Can'y beat a perch fry eh Jack ...worth the time to clean them up...just fried in oil or butter ? 

Back to the grind Jack .....

It was worth cleaning them up....fried in butter and some roasted garlic and red pepper spice....we weeded out some big ones for the pan......small jigs was the ticket for catching them..most fish caught in 10 fow...and whatever Tyler did to the site....I had no probs posting some pics from my phone....so thanks for that...lol....the first pic you can't really see in the background is a loon family with 2 youngins....and thanks for the reminder and alarm clock Bill....lol...that's why I am up at 4 am....and it's not to get my fishing gear together...haha

11 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

It was worth cleaning them up....fried in butter and some roasted garlic and red pepper spice....we weeded out some big ones for the pan......small jigs was the ticket for catching them..most fish caught in 10 fow...and whatever Tyler did to the site....I had no probs posting some pics from my phone....so thanks for that...lol....the first pic you can't really see in the background is a loon family with 2 youngins....and thanks for the reminder and alarm clock Bill....lol...that's why I am up at 4 am....and it's not to get my fishing gear together...haha

I’m glad it’s easy to post pics now.  

Used to fish buckhorn all the time.  Some good fishing up there, but pretty over fished I found.  Still some huge muskie in there though. I love it up there. Glad you had a good time and a nice perch fry!

41 minutes ago, kgm said:

Used to fish buckhorn all the time.  Some good fishing up there, but pretty over fished I found.  Still some huge muskie in there though. I love it up there. Glad you had a good time and a nice perch fry!

I hear ya....the area that was producing the best walleye...was packed with boats ...I would rather fish for perch like we did than deal with that for a few small slot limit eyes....lol....will be putting in a late fall musky mission..

5 hours ago, frog088 said:

Glad you had fun.  Upper Buckhorn has been very tough fishing so far this year.

Ya....the deeper flats dont seem to be holding any fish.....and the weeds are pretty bad..any bit of a drift and you only get 1 out of every 10 casts without weeds on your line....seems all the pan fish have taken way over some spots...and the small perch....we only caught a couple dozen eater size...and kept 20...tonnes of little ones almost every cast once we threw a pattern on them.....odd not even to see signs of small musky or anything....and a few small largies 

3 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

and a few small largies 

I'll trade ya for a few large smallies ....ahah...  although the water level here is almost 3' higher than normal , the weeds are breaking the surface .Tossing top water lures still pick up weeds nearly every cast ....and the tiny perch are everywhere !  Lots of food for the big fish.

Hey guys ive fished the kawarthas mostly buckhorn lower and upper and pigeon ,stoney a few times .in also fished rice lake, jack lake , sparrow now twice and il be honest outta every method possible trolling the weedlines the either spinners tipped with worms ,or a single blade crawler harness also tipped with real worms or sometimes a white or yellow twister tail on there will catch fish in any of those lakes .i usually try to find 12 - 15 fow maybe a bit deeper depending on the weeds and troll the edges and around islands and the best if u can find that depth with the weeds about halfway down and just put on quarter ounce split shot about 2 ft above the spnners seems to work well .the twister tails are more durable so if you catch a weed you rip it through them and using braid is also key with that method.good luck next time if you try this.hope it works.

Pretty much all our fish came on yellow twisters and white buck tails ....didn't bother fishing with worms..too many sun fish....Haha....and like you had mentioned...in areas where the weeds where a couple feet under the surface...

During the summer , we would start a drift at the deepest part of the lake and drift into shore ...no electronics to find the fish then .  They were mostly in the deeper holes , some down 40' approx. ...When the wind was up , I used a 3 way rig ...up to an ounce of weight with a J11 , with a leader as there were some pike there too .

JW....sometimes all you need is the twister tails on a lead head , bouncing bottom ....or just a worm on it .....an easy way to drift , relax , and catch'em !  That also worked for us at Dunnville on the Grand .

....just a note.....the wifi here is not so good....down all morning and verrrrry slow to load up ....grrrr ..

:Gonefishing:

Archived