Anyone Get A Turkey Yet

I have been hunting my farm for the past 5 days.  I have a flock of 20 birds and they have been out smarting me.  They are not coming out of the same spot everyday nor are they traveling the same route every day.  I just cant call them into my decoys.  Frustrating but I am having a lot of fun.

I will get one soon.  I hope.

good luck to all those that are hunting Turkey this spring

I've only been out once, opening morning. I personally find them way harder to hunt than deer or moose, but then again don't put in the same effort on scouting, practice dcalling, time in the bush etc. as with big game. Also seems to be a lot more guys hunting so birds might be getting more educated earlier on in the season. Seems like if you don't get one the first couple days of the season they are before really call shy.

Hopefully you connect with a big tom About Time.

Been out twice so far, but no luck.

i have always found that gobblers that are with hens are impossible to decoy or call to you in the morning, so I just try to ambush them on their way from roosts.

I found that once the hens start nesting, then the gobblers are far more willing to come to calls later in the day.

What Genec said. You may have better luck in the afternoon after the hens have settled down and the Toms are looking for more hens to breed............Daniel

I don’t hunt but what would happen if you heard the birds and ran towards them? If they flEw up a tree can’t you blast them out of it? How far can these birds fly? Can you shoot them out of the sky like ducks?

On 4/30/2020 at 5:04 PM, Tyler0420 said:

I don’t hunt but what would happen if you heard the birds and ran towards them? If they flEw up a tree can’t you blast them out of it? How far can these birds fly? Can you shoot them out of the sky like ducks?

Lol Ty! I believe shooting them out of the tree and in flight is legal however, some may think that’s unethical. 

17 minutes ago, Captain Hooksets said:

Lol Ty! I believe shooting them out of the tree and in flight is legal however, some may think that’s unethical. 

Hey I agree with the unethical part. Kinda like shooting a duck sitting on the water.  

Using decoys to "trick" them into thinking they might get lucky is the best way to get a clean kill .   🦃

I remember shooting a bunch of grouse that were sitting in a small tree .....drop the bottom one first and work your way up ....they must have thought the bottom ones jumped down to feed on the grasshoppers  they were eating ......  winged dings !

On 5/2/2020 at 1:05 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Hey I agree with the unethical part. Kinda like shooting a duck sitting on the water.  

I won't shoot a Turkey on the roost but I have and will shoot a Duck on the water. They taste the same lol

Archived