Snapping Turtles

yakfish

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be super interested in this recipe!!

I'm going to get a good 10 poumds of meat of this guy so i'll be tryin a couple recipies on him. Here are a couple I wamt to try.

~ 1 turtle, cut into serving pieces ~ flour ~ seasoning salt ~ pepper ~ oil ~ 3 cans cream of mushroom soup ~ 2 soup cans milk ~ potatoes, cubed ~ carrots, diced ~ 1 small onion, chopped

Soak turtle meat in salt water overnight. Rinse well.

Season flour to taste with the seasoning salt and pepper.

In a skillet, heat the oil. Roll the turtle in the flour and brown on all sides.

In a large bowl, mix the soup and milk together really well.

Place the meat in a dutch oven and cover it with the soup mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 2 - 3 hours depending on the size of your turtle.

Half way through the baking time, add the potatoes, carrots and onion. Resume baking until the potatoes and carrots are done.

Serve using the soup mixture as gravy.

Enjoy!

2 lb's turtle meat, cubed ~ 2 sticks unsalted butter ~ 1 cup all purpose flour ~ 1 cup diced celery ~ 2 cups diced yellow onions ~ 1 1/2 cups tomato puree ~ 1 quart beef stock ~ 6 hard boiled eggs, chopped fine ~ juice of one lemon ~ 3 bay leaves ~ 1/2 tsp oregano ~ 1/2 tsp thyme ~ 1 tsp black pepper ~ 3 tbsp minced parsley ~ salt and pepper to taste

In a heavy saucepan melt the butter. When melted, add the flour and cook until the flour turns the color of a penny.

This roux must be stirred at all times so it will not burn.

When roux reaches the desired color add the celery, onion and turtle meat. Cook until turtle is brown and vegetables are clear.

Add the tomato puree and simmer for 15 minutes.

In a stock pot, heat the beef stock to a boil.

When stock is boiling, add the mixture from your saucepan and stir until soup is mixed and roux is dissolved. Stock should be smooth and have body.

Simmer soup until turtle becomes tender. Add the lemon juice, diced eggs and parsley. Stir together.

Serve and Enjoy!

Before cleaning the turtle I will keep him in a large container of fresh water for a full week. I will change the water each day. This will get all the pond ascum out of his system before I clean him.

Dont kill it! It's just an animal! That's its instinct when someone picks up a wild animal!

Your heart is in the right place. Just sometimes in nature, animals have this bad habit of looking tasty... :)

Dont kill it! It's just an animal! That's its instinct when someone picks up a wild animal!

Im not eating it BECAUSE it tried to take my fingers! I will feed my family with it. We will get quite a few giod meals out of it. Your not one of those vegitarians who thinks its wrong to kill innocent animals for food are you?

Edit: Sorry, I probably just missed your sarcasim. Right? Can't tell over the internet! Lol!

yeah man peolpe do what they have to do for my family, i go out in my woods and i shoot deer not for the fun of it but because i need to feed my family.

btw ill take some :thx: and nice pond bet its full of largies!.

Im fine with deer, i see them in my field everday, but a snapper?? For god sakes they're a species at risk or something like that. Buy some damn hamburger if you want meat!! How much does a crap load of hamburger cost, 5 bucks?? Dont ruin our poor wildlife even more just to save about 5 bucks! And holding it by it's tail, i dont blame him for going for the chomp on your finger.

I,d try it .If it,s legal to catch and cook I,ve got no problems with it.I know down south it,s common to eat and people have been eating them for hundreds of years.As long as it,s not going to waste it,s all good.

Read his post. He said he is in ohio. A quick google reveals no turtles are protected there.

I know it's ohio but that is in north america too so I doubt the populations are that different than around here. Plus that is america, and american governement doesn't protect their nature very well.

I know it's ohio but that is in north america too so I doubt the populations are that different than around here. Plus that is america, and american governement doesn't protect their nature very well.

if the dnr decides its not a species at risk in ohio dont you think it would mean the population is stable?.. stable enough for people to go out and feed their families with them. i think your over-reacting a bit on this situation, he is in his legal rights and will be putting the snapper to great use.

hope the snapper soup turns out good, iv had it before, and it tastes awesome!

Archived