Port Piers

smerchly

Access to both piers at Port Dalhousie have been shut down temporarily including spots for boats . About 10 posts down there's a post berating fishermen who leave fishing line all over the piers .......We can be our own worst enemy when it comes to losing fishing spots .....

Wow, that's a surprise! Thanks for the update Smerch. I was planning to come down tomorrow.

Structurally unsafe? Hmmm, can't wait to hear more, like a full and 'official' explanation for the closure. 'Structural' doesn't sound like a quick fix to me.

http://www.tourstcatharines.com/tours-portdalhousie.shtml

1838 was initial construction.

This really does not surprise me ... think of all the pressure and the force when the ice flows are there ...

Where I work we piledrive down 25 to 50 feet depending on the building, and the buildings still shift over time ...

I vote they close it off, drain it, give us locals a chance to walk along the bottom (study it, pick up lures), fix the walls or whatever it is they have to do ... then flood it back in.

When the water was super low you can see differences in the areas where the pier was added to, where there used to be chunks, etc. I think the last big facelift would have been around 90 to 95 if I recall correctly, maybe even earlier.

I hope they shut down all the trashed spots. I know this is not the case here...but, so many slobs around are giving more and more amunition to the residents who live in these areas. Sad that everyone pays the price.

If you walk the east pier and look straight down over the wall there are some spots where you can see water flowing from the harbour under the cement pier and into the marina . These "channels" may be getting larger each year and weakening the integrity of the pier . I don't know what the options are , but I don't think they will spend millions to rebuild or replace .

....new updates & pictures......

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2015/04/16/port-dalhousie-piers-closed

Two more words ....white buckets :rolleyes: Did the REALLY need to close off the piers ? Are the piers suddenly going to collapse after being there for the last hundred plus years ? They can carry on "assessing" and inspecting the bottom structure with cameras and divers by sectioning off small areas , one at a time . This could have been done late last fall when the pier traffic was much less . The piers are a very important resource to Port Dalhousie ......couldn't have picked a worse time to shut them down ... :Gonefishing:

I hope they shut down all the trashed spots. I know this is not the case here...but, so many slobs around are giving more and more amunition to the residents who live in these areas. Sad that everyone pays the price.

But that would only be fair if they also closed up the marina. Those folks may be wealthy, but they are the worst for dumping gash from their boats.

Port will also be a little cleaner now that the party zone is gone on the west side

They will never close port d from fishiNg and the majority of fishin spots are still open. For anyone who thinks the garbage issue will be resolved is simple minded. Do you think these anglers only know port d for fishing? If its unsafe it will be rebuilt woth pile driving in probably two months time to 6 months.

doubt it will get rebuilt...they are closing swimming pools because of lack of funds where do you think they will come up with the money to rebuild piers that are only used to walk on...

doubt it will get rebuilt...they are closing swimming pools because of lack of funds where do you think they will come up with the money to rebuild piers that are only used to walk on...

Swimming pools are municipal ... the port dalhousie pier is a combo of federal and municipal ... so it will be easier to get some money to attend to it.

Two more words ....white buckets :rolleyes: Did the REALLY need to close off the piers ? Are the piers suddenly going to collapse after being there for the last hundred plus years ? They can carry on "assessing" and inspecting the bottom structure with cameras and divers by sectioning off small areas , one at a time . This could have been done late last fall when the pier traffic was much less . The piers are a very important resource to Port Dalhousie ......couldn't have picked a worse time to shut them down ... :Gonefishing:

Smerch ... as soon as there is a liability issue ... CLOSED. Even if it was signed USE AT OWN RISK, no one wants a lawsuit, especially if it was noted that there is problems and it was not closed ... Realistically a few hundred pounds of humans will not do much damage, but if they have closed it off, it must be in really bad shape to the point where there is the potential for a collapse.

I do not see it being the major economic problems for the Port Dalhousie area as some posters on the substandards website do ... the beach is still open, as are the bars/restaurants that remain. The problem will be when they bring in the construction equipment and offices and it takes up most of the parking lot space.

I would rather see it closed off and fixed properly than half-assed. Niagara does enough stuff half-assed, that we redo multiple times over.

I really hate the culture of pussification that we have decended into. Just put some signes up that say 'Structural Damage - Use At Your Own Risk'. It is probably 100X more dangerous to walk along the rocks that protect the shoreline in so many places. Might as well ban access to the entire shoreline and all piers and docks for fear that someone might fall in and drown.

Yet another precious spot lost for those of us without a boat....Ridiculous!

I really hate the culture of pussification that we have decended into. Just put some signes up that say 'Structural Damage - Use At Your Own Risk'. It is probably 100X more dangerous to walk along the rocks that protect the shoreline in so many places. Might as well ban access to the entire shoreline and all piers and docks for fear that someone might fall in and drown.

Yet another precious spot lost for those of us without a boat....Ridiculous!

That is quite the over reaction. There is no pussification, if there is a chance it could collapse it should be closed off. The pier collapses you can almost guarantee the loss of life. The rocks along the shoreline, at worst you sprain your ankle or break a leg, but they won't be bringing divers out to search for a body.

I used to fish a spot that is now closed off ... some areas of the spots were obviously unstable ... returned to my spot one day to find out that one of the walls I would sit on had collapsed into the water, the wall was stone and concrete for the most part. Had they closed the spot off years ago, the few of us who fished it would completely understand.

I am hoping the DFO releases more details to back-up their decision, would be interesting to see what caused them to close it down until it can be repaired.

Instead of bitching online, if you have a problem with the decision ... go right to the arm of the government responsible for the decision.

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?mthd=tp&crtr.page=1&nid=964229

Port Dalhousie Piers Closed Until Further Notice

April 16, 2015

ST. CATHARINES, Ontario -- The Department of Fisheries and Oceans is advising that, in the interest of public safety, sections of the East and West piers at the Port Dalhousie Harbour will be temporarily closed to vessel, vehicular and pedestrian traffic.

While the piers may appear to be in good condition, a recent engineering inspection has found structural and safety issues. Fisheries and Oceans Canada is conducting further investigations, including a side scan sonar survey, to confirm the extent of the damage and help identify possible remediation options.

A barricade has been erected preventing pedestrian access on the East Pier starting at the lighthouse and on the West Pier approximately 250 metres from shore. Vehicle access and mooring for vessels will be limited on portions of the piers until further notice.

Access to the beach will not be impacted.

The aids to navigation located on the piers will be maintained and the safety of mariners will not be affected.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada and the City of St. Catharines are working together to find both short term and long term solutions to this issue. Fisheries and Oceans Canada will provide further information as it becomes available.

- 30 -

Public Information

905-639-2050

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Frank Stanek
Media Relations
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Ottawa, Ontario
613-990-7537

Sophie Doucet
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
613-992-3474

NR-HQ-15-26E

Swimming pools are municipal ... the port dalhousie pier is a combo of federal and municipal ... so it will be easier to get some money to attend to it.

well heres too hoping they can find some money then

I heard on CKTB radio today that the last time there was extensive repairs made to the piers was 1991 ......24 years ago . Since they know a danger exists , no matter how slight , they must err on the side of caution to avoid huge lawsuits in case even a small section collapsed & someone got hurt . Once that info is on paper , they are forced to take no chances . They said they may be pile driving steel pipes along the piers ....probably using barges . I think we will see the fishing spots south of the lighthouse busier this year .

Now is our responsibility to push our MP and MPP to open their mouth to get fund for rebuild the pier.

And as resident and fellow fisherman need give some advice to MP and MPP for the important part from the rebuild the pier, also can ask to the marina to help the fund for that.

CKTB did an interview with our mayor this morning about the piers . They are using sonar to detect all the weak spots where danger exists . After the study , they will inform us about the amount of time needed to repair the piers . They may drill large holes in the cement and shoot tons of cement under them . The mayor said it looks like the piers will be off limits to us all summer or longer .....bummer ! :dunno::Gonefishing:

Archived