Port Piers

smerchly

The lake is a living, breathing thing. Constantly changing and ever moving. Anything we place there will always need repair or replacement, or it collapses.

That last series of repairs in 1991 were done in conjunction with the small harbours enhancement program the feds set up. They did some repairs, but the emphasis was on building new sheltered marinas, shoreline improvements and habitat restoration. There were projects running the length of L Ontario's north shore. There used to be a beach where the enclosed marina now stands. This same program built the new Jordan marina behind the hotel, and was responsible for the extensive improvements in Hamilton harbour..

• 1 month later...

A quick update on the pier situation ....heard on the radio that are talking about building a floating dock running parallel to the east pier . I don't know how that will work with high winds , on both sides of that pier . But , of course there will be a short term plan , a long term plan , more studies , evaluation , options , consultations , development needs , and funding before development......I think we have a long way to go ..... :read:

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2015/06/08/dykstra-has-plan-for-port-piers

Let's hope the replacement is done like port Dover. They did they'res approximately 10-15 years ago and did an awesome job.

Just heard 26-32 million to fix the piers depending on which of the 4 options they choose.

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2015/06/17/whopping-pricetag-to-repair-piers

While looking at the picture , I can't imagine breaking up the west pier into a pile of rocks ! Many people who visit the west park (carousel) walk to the end of the pier , some ride their bikes , fish , or take photos, etc. ....

Rock Berm. That's what did in the canal in Port Colborne on West street when the wall was deemed failing. They piled a bunch boulders in front of it and closed to boats. Then they put in pencil marker buoys denoting the danger zone.

Archived