Reel drag question

jay33

5 hours ago, bigdog said:

At 4:43, you can clearly see this gentlemen is changing a drag washer on a high-end, Shimano, saltwater lever drag, round reel.  

How did you think drags worked...with magic and hope?  Do you even know what the lever drag is for or how it works?  It would be metal on metal without a drag washer...sorry, who doesn't know what they are talking about?  Please don't give anymore terrible advice to a guy who clearly just had a question and needed help.  If you would care to discuss this further over a coffee, I would be happy to meet you for one, but it probably doesn't need to be hashed out on here any further.

Hit the nail on the head!!

Sure ok this guy can talk trash aboit me but i say"lol" and i get scolded by admins .... Thanks i know how a lever drag works youre trying to make it seem like i duno what im talking about 

Regular drags work with a series of washers that cause resistance lever drag works by putting pressure on the spool itself you dont change the metal washer which does not create the drag btw

But thanks for coming out 

Im sure ill get the 3rd degree from this and this guy whos bashing me prob kisses ass around here so guess im screwed either way just trying to defend myself here.

Not to mention you say it would be metal on metal well the drag washer is metal and the lever is metal what is happening there smart guy? Called metal on metal anyone can go on youtube and pretend theyre smart problem is when youre not and someone else knows what theyre talking about. And any moron can post a video on the truth machine eerr i mean the internet.   Please stop trying to be a hero just accept the fact that you dobt know anything and were talking out your ass and were owned. Be humble about it.  And please dont play "oh we can go discuss over coffee" trying to make it seem like youre the 'bigger man'  when really all you did in that post was try to get the last jab in.  Sorry bout your luck pal i dont take kindly to that.

Ummm...12 hours later and your still on about this?  I don't need to go on YouTube, I rebuild/repair and customise reels...I've done quite a few in my time.  I am confused by your interpretation of a "drag washer" and your theory on why they don't exist in lever drag reels.  A "drag washer" is a paper or fabric washer in between a key washer/drag plate (metal) and the main drive gear (metal) on virtually every reel in existence.  I don't need the internet for that, but I have included this article for you...because unlike you, I think the internet has some great resources for learning.  If I am wrong than I am sorry for misinforming the NFN readers and I will never post again.

http://www.saltwaterfishing247.com/Article/lever-drag-systems-Page1.htm

I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my invitation for coffee, it was sincere...you could have just said you don't like coffee.  Personally, I prefer beers after work too and I would've been more than happy to do that instead.  However, I am going to rescind my offer, because clearly you don't think very highly of my companionship.  

I will await your follow up.  

(*cast*)

What a "drag" ......a simple post asking for help and the insults start flying !   Instead of using words like "smart guy" or "moron" when discussing a topic , please check the rules again and try to be more diplomatic .   "We can agree to disagree " ..........(even though I'd love to choke you)   lol

Just read your post Big Dog .......guys like you and Pauly who have torn many reels apart would be the first guys I would ask to fix or upgrade my reels .

Lever drag washers dont rely on the washer to create drag.  thats all i have to say about that.  Maybe youve never fixed a saltwater reel.  Or maybe you do it wrong lol.  You can try to condesend me but i wont let that happen.  I also have to be nicer in my posts i was told 

:)  

Done and done

Since I read that the metal washer do get warped after some time, if the drag was not release after every fishing trip. I diligently release my reel drag during storage. I watch Youtube videos on how to salvage the metal drag by sanding them down.

I also used suede or leather material for my reel drag, an old leather wallet can be useful, just need to sand down the shiny outer paint. 

I read about carbontex drag material, they are pricey, but seemed to be the best out there. 

1 hour ago, Canalinvader said:

Lever drag washers dont rely on the washer to create drag.  thats all i have to say about that.  Maybe youve never fixed a saltwater reel.  Or maybe you do it wrong lol.  You can try to condesend me but i wont let that happen.  I also have to be nicer in my posts i was told 

:)  

Done and done

You're right, NO REELS, rely on the drag washer to apply drag.  The drag washer, the plate and the drive gear all work together to create drag; its a system.  The drag washer stops the two pieces of metal from rubbing together (baitcaster/lever drag). The drag tension increases or decreases pressure on a series of washers, that in turn, put pressure on the spool. The answer to your question, is no, I have never fixed a salty, but I have fixed level drags and bait runners, with no complaints yet..same principles are in affect for almost every single reel ever made in the last century.  Not trying to be condescending...but I'm not wrong.

Try taking the paper/felt "piece" out of your reel and let me know what happens.

(*retrieve*)

24 hrs and youre still on about this?  Youre basically arguing with me and then telling me how a reg reel works even tho i already told you.  Thats cool that ypu went on the internet and cut and paste some info man but just give it a rest already youre not winning

Felt "peice" ?  Really dude... Its called a drag washer incase you didnt know :)

*retreive* lmao

I'm going to go ahead and lock this topic, this horse has been beaten long enough. 

If you want to continue the "conversation" take it to pm. Otherwise let it rest. 

Canalinvader, piece of advice. You have 19 total posts. Most of which have been. Argumentative. And to an extent that is fine. If you want to be a part of the Niagara fishing community then introduce yourself, indulge in conversation and help others if they have a question and you can help. Otherwise a lot of your posts will be received as they have and you'll continue with arguments. 

If there are any problems of questions feel free to pm one of the Niagara fishing staff members.

Archived