Wet Turkey Opener

genec

Looking forward as always to opening day, but the weather forecast is certainly depressing - rain every day!!

Glad the family farm is big, because its going to be very restricted in site choices opening morning with all the mucky fields.

looks like I'll be in the bush somewhere because the bean and corn fields will be mud bogs (good old Haldimand clay).

Got out this morning to a new spot set up by 5:45 am, sitting just on the end of the bush with a couple decoys in a corn field, buddy behind me looking into the bush. Beautiful morning, birds were chirping, ducks were landing in the field, geese flying over, nice mist over the field as the sun rose over the trees, on thing missing turkeys! No responses so moved to another property, got there too late, once set up had a few gobbles but slowly moved away from us might have heard us coming in across the field. Packed her in around 10 and back to work. It was nice to get out non the less and no ticks! Hopefully some others had better results than me today!

Hoping to get my son out for his first hunt this weekend, would be nice if there was some action for him. 

2 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

Got out this morning to a new spot set up by 5:45 am, sitting just on the end of the bush with a couple decoys in a corn field, buddy behind me looking into the bush. Beautiful morning, birds were chirping, ducks were landing in the field, geese flying over, nice mist over the field as the sun rose over the trees, on thing missing turkeys! No responses so moved to another property, got there too late, once set up had a few gobbles but slowly moved away from us might have heard us coming in across the field. Packed her in around 10 and back to work. It was nice to get out non the less and no ticks! Hopefully some others had better results than me today!

Hoping to get my son out for his first hunt this weekend, would be nice if there was some action for him. 

Maybe no bird but every thing you said is what its all about sound's like just one of them beautiful mornings wish i could have been out there but i had to be with my wife having her radiation 

treatment

9 hours ago, mooseslayer said:

Not looking good gunner...rain starts 60% at midnight and by 5am 90% 1-3mm per hour most of the day...15-20mm overall.

Ya i seen that today i seen snow rain mix for Sunday that dang global warming lol

2 minutes ago, gunner-2 said:

Maybe no bird but every thing you said is what its all about sound's like just one of them beautiful mornings wish i could have been out there but i had to be with my wife having her radiation 

treatment

Yes you are absolutely right Gunner. Sorry to hear about your wife, can only imagine how hard that would be for both of you. Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery.

Opening morning I'm sitting on south side of bush.  Had 4 gobblers calling for 1 hour before anything flew down.  Had a jake with a 3-4 inch beard fly down and land right on outside of my brush blind - way too close to shoot. Watched 2 gobblers about 70 yds away slowly walking to my left, so figured a shot possible.  Finally, when they were about 45 yds I aimed at the strutter and squeezed the trigger - no bang!  Slowly cycled another shell into pump and squeezed again - same thing!!  By rhe time I firmly cycled  the 3rd one in they had run off!

so pissed w myself - I had opened the qun very slowly and quietly at first light to load, trying not to make any noise, and doing by it so carefully the trigger didn't set (lmao...wont let me say c o c k ...every time I save, system substitutes the phrase "male appendage"!!)

going back out tomorrow in the muck to try for them again bafore they disperse, and this time I will make sure the gun is fully cockid before going into the bush!

It happens genec .u just get back after them birds and hope they present you with a shot again! Good luck ! Im gettin out in the mornin first time this year but the biggun i was after has already been shot by my buddy at my one spot .gonna try another spot and see what happens.guess next year i cant work on opening day!

Well got out this morning and im happy i did because by the time i reached my spot there was already birds on the ground gobbling about 100 yrds away and i had to set up a different way because i woulda got busted if i tried getting to the field edge .stuck my decoys in the ground gave a couple yelps and it was on! 3 jakes come runnin and just as they saw my decoys a gobble came in from another direction and those jakes stopped dead lookin that way .it was my bird all fanned and puffed up walkin right towards my decoy jake.he went straight to my hen decoy and circled it once and went towards the jake decoy swatted it with its wing and knocked it off the peg .thats when it knew the jig was up and i smoked him.still habe no idea how to get the pictures on here guys sorry!

2 hours ago, fishingking said:

.that's when it knew the jig was up and i smoked him

Good shooting fishingking  , hope to see a photo ..... (Tyler)

genec.....good luck on getting a nice "male appendage"  next trip .......:)

My  30:06 moose rifle was a pump , and I made sure I made a full stroke pump to load that trigger !   :th_fudd:

Archived