Hydro rates

knightfisher

Have you decided which way to go...

TOU  off peak    10,5 c/kwh

mid peak   15.0 c/kwh

on peak     21.7 c/kwh

Tiered  first 1000 kwh/month  12.6 c/kwh

above 1000  14.6 c/kwh

Tiered works for me. Submitted my request to Alectra today.

5 hours ago, corey said:

My hydro bill gives me details of my usage for the last year. For what I used tiered would have cost me $200 more for the year. That's even with my wife and 4 kids home for the last 8 months.

For the last few months, we all have been paying 12.8 kwh for all three time periods.

That will now change with the above rates.

If you're saving on TOU, good stuff. What works for one is what counts.

My last hydro bill is $108.  ...not bad considering we have 2 fridges (one over 40 yrs old ) , a big old 17 cu ft. freezer over 40 years old also . We set the air at 75 F  and furnace at 70 F. (low tech) ....and have an electric dryer which helps heat the house in cold weather , using a vent control box & filter .

We save electricity by using appliances like slow cookers , micro wave(a lot) and a gas stove ... great for cooking .

Much of our hydro bills are for taxes , supply , and that nice (phony) global adjustment ! As seniors we get a break on those extra charges which helps keep the final bill down .

I'm not sure which way is best for us ....we are home everyday , unlike last year when we were away for 2 months. We saved some bucks here but paid for hydro , propane , boat dock , pump outs , etc. ....much cheaper to stay home ! lol

We compared our Bills over the past year and figured tiered also works better for us as well, but only by about $5 per month.  With the U.S border closed, that $60 dollar savings per year will get me a 30 pack of Coors light at Canadian prices ! I guess something is better than nothing. 

So I use a lot of electricity...

As I said on my bill I have the on/mid/off peak usage in kilowatt hours for the last year. I used the current pricing as indicated for the calculation. The prices I used are at the bottom. The tou column (g) is a sum of column b * 21.7, column c * 15 and column d * 10.5. Column h (tiered) is 1000 * 12.6 and then column e less 1000 * 14.6.

I didn't bother taking into consideration summer rates or the fact that the 1000 kilowatt hours turns into 600 in the summer for tiered.

I think I made the right choice for my situation.

image.png

• 1 month later...

Archived