Port weller

Craig

With the nice weather coming up I have been looking at the map for some new places to check out. Are you allowed to walk out past the marina and fish on the point from shore? Specifically the east side of the canal. I heard there was no fishing or hunting allowed. Thanks and happy fishing 👍

I walk my dog out along the spit quite often and have seen people fishing both on the canal side and lake side. Whether it's allowed or not I'll let someone more familiar with the regulations for that area answer.

The people I have spoken with were catching carp. bass and panfish. 

I've always thought about trying fishing there but never gotten around to it yet. if I'm in the area I end up at either Dalhousie or Niagara and seem to forget about it. 

11 hours ago, rab546 said:

The people I have spoken with were catching carp. bass and panfish. 

.....and drum and channel cats and tons of gobies .....

My last trip there was in 2013 ,  took my bike and made the round trip to the point and back . The east side is very shallow .....used to hunt ducks there . Follow the trail on the west bank and there are some openings to fish ....very rocky , tons of gobies and all fish mentioned are in there . Go to the wall near the lake and it's very deep , like 30' with some current .  As teens we fished along the bank which was more open (less brush) and we just used worms to catch cats , carp and sheephead mostly ...& some rock bass & perch etc. 

I would try crank baits today ...might tie into a nice pike or laker ...who knows ? I would like to spend some time fishing for carp there as well . We used to fish behind the building at the lock for perch in the spring . Take a bike down the trails and spend some time there , you never know what you might catch as any fish in the lake can visit there ...might even catch a walleye !  And welcome to the board Craig !    :Gonefishing:

This sign is on the west side on the Seaway road  (2013)  ....not sure about entry now as people were dumping there...

Port Weller Map.jpg

🤐 we never stopped duck hunting in there.  just set back allowances from the rocks.  get some strange looks at the beach when i paddle my brushed up kayak onto the beach with the kayak loaded down with a few dozen decoys tho.  

I was told that fishing is allowed inside the harbour from the mouth to the coast guard station.  Lakeside, anywhere you can get to the water. If there are rules or areas that are off limits then there would likely be some kind of signage indicating so.  Take this with a grain of salt. I trust that the person who told me does know. But my post here is from memory and may not be fully accurate.  Either way, you should be able to find a place to wet a line where you don't have to worry about getting in trouble.

Myself, Sam the barber and Dan Stones hunted ducks in there for years.  John Emmitt frequented there also.  Let me tell you we had tons of fun, mostly blue bills but at times mallards, geese, golden eye, canvas backs , butterballs etc.... West winds were the best and north winds we set up along the spit.  When the hunt was slow we trolled along the spit out to the lake and picked up lakers.  

I remember Sam and John Emmitt well  I worked right beside Bob Stones who I believe was Dan's brother (rip) Bob had a very bad back and had to quit GM ....always telling me about the funny antics his son Dougie did . I did a little clay shooting at Emmitts too .  Those were the days ...........   :Gonefishing::th_fudd:

Sam's shop was on  Martindale Rd . across from the Avondale store when I got my last hair cut from him ,,,,,never had a hair cut since ......   

1 hour ago, deetch said:

Your hair must be down to your ankles by now. The shops been gone for at least 15 yrs.  lol

What hair ?   haha ! 

I have become an expert hair cutter after watching Sam in the mirror .  

Archived