Buying used boat

snoryder

So I'm thinking of buying a used boat. My budget is going to be around 5 g's. I've seen some in the trader and they look ok but they are roughly 10 yrs or older for my budget. Is a 10 yr old 14 or 16 ftr with 15 + horse worth it or should I finance a newer boat in the 10 g range. This will be my first boat and plan to use it on the niagara river and kawartha lakes area.

So I'm thinking of buying a used boat. My budget is going to be around 5 g's. I've seen some in the trader and they look ok but they are roughly 10 yrs or older for my budget. Is a 10 yr old 14 or 16 ftr with 15 + horse worth it or should I finance a newer boat in the 10 g range. This will be my first boat and plan to use it on the niagara river and kawartha lakes area.

Hey Snor...........Your looking for a aluminum boat right...........I have a 14ft Smokercraft that is great for the lower river and up north it's not for sale thought...........But to answer your question I'd say spend the 5 g's learn about boating and being on the water because you'll up grade anyway's.............After a year in that boat you'll no what you want and need...........A bow mount electric is a must, electric start on your main motor is great (because you'll have a alternator to charge your battery's), I have a 25hp on my 14' aluminum boat and it's plenty of motor 28mph.............take your time and look at lots of boats and you'll find a boat in great shape...........If you do alto of up north fishing you might want to go a tiller give's you great control back trolling.............you don't want to max your budget because once you start putting electronics on it (GPS, fish finder, Batts.,etc...and safety equipment) it gets expensive...........Good luck Jeff :dunno:

I bought my used boat 3 yrs.ago from an older gent who kept it in his garage & didn't get out that much , only on a summer trip to Kap . This is what I got for 5 G's.

15.5' Legend Pro Classic from the boat show all decaled up , 40HP , 4 cyl Merc oil inj. & trailer ,all 1990 . I also got a lot of gear like 3 anchors ,Lowrance fish finder ,compass ,4 life jackets , 2 minnow pails & lots of good rope . It has a large live well with auto airater , small bow mount motor good for Quinte where I fish most and I have since added a full top & travel tarp & 12 volt winch. I lucked out , saw it in the boat trader mag.& didn't waste a second to go to Ft.Erie to see it & bought it on the spot . Take someone along who knows boats & motors & if possible ,go for a test run . Check the prices of new boats ....a 16' Legend tiller isn't too costly ......Good luck hunting !

I bought my used boat 3 yrs.ago from an older gent who kept it in his garage & didn't get out that much , only on a summer trip to Kap . This is what I got for 5 G's.

15.5' Legend Pro Classic from the boat show all decaled up , 40HP , 4 cyl Merc oil inj. & trailer ,all 1990 . I also got a lot of gear like 3 anchors , 4 life jackets , 2 minnow pails & lots of good rope . It has a large live well with auto airater , small bow mount motor good for Quinte where I fish most and I have since added a full top & travel tarp . I lucked out , saw it in the boat trader mag.& didn't waste a second to go to Ft.Erie to see it & bought it on the spot . Take someone along who knows boats & motors & if possible ,go for a test run . Check the prices of new boats ....a 16' Legend tiller isn't too costly ......Good luck hunting !

Sounds like a beauty Smerch.............. :dunno::dunno:

you should be able to do pretty well with that type of budget, I have fished in JHM's Smokercraft..it's a good solid 14 footer, lots of fishing room, storage, and goes pretty good with the 25 he has on it, all around great little package. Somehting simular would probably suit your needs well. Just saw Smerchly's reply too...his boat is was a very good deal for the money, it's a great fishin boat I have seen it in action

Look around at a couple dealerships...don't get roped in to all the fancy stuff, ask about some boat packages, you might find a great deal...don't worry about getting roped into all kinds of extras as is so easy to do unless you think you really would need them...we opted for some extras when we got my boat package because we could warrant them for my families boating fun, and of course my fishing..lol ..it adds up quick...3 grand motor upgrade from 25 to a 40 ..extra deluxe seat, cover, trailer jack, trailer load guides,spare tire for trailer, deepcycle for bow mount..all this easily tacked about 5 grand to our package..then if buying new, there are freight charges and stuff like buying a car, and beleive it or not there are actually "rigging" charges for some stuff too....they show ya a nice pic of a full boat package...then when ya get it, they tell ya there is extra charges for rigging up some of the extras that they told ya came as "free" extra option for the boat :dunno::dunno: for example my boat package came with a bowmount,fish finder,speedo,tach, and a couple options as part of an "extras" package valued at about 2 grand ..but it cost me a couple hundred to get it put in my boat when they sent it to the dealership :dunno:

Also like Jeff mentioned...make sure you have all the safety gear you require aboard a boat that size, and if you aren't buying a used package from someone that also comes woith the gear..there are a bunch of little things that add up a bit....docking/mooring rope and dock clips, bumpers, not required on all boats but good idea to have a properly rated fire extinguisher, safety kit, a few handy tools to keep on the boat...first aid stuff

good luck in the quest, this should be a good time of year to look for a good deal

Check ebay. I've looked on the site before and it seems like there are a lot of good deals out there. If you're capable and willing to pay for shipping, or don't mind driving down to the states to pick it up, it could be well worth it. Keep in mind you'll probably end up having to deal with formal paperwork in regards to registering any boat purchased in the states. It's definitly worth looking into though. Good luck

-drew

A 14 is a great 2 man fishing boat, but can get cramped quickly with a 3rd body and his gear. Go for a 16. There are lots of nice tiller models in that size, and the livewell is a definite must.

Just make sure that if you buy used you have the motor checked out for compression. Ask to see maintenance schedule and make sure that the lower end is good. Lot's of good used bots in the price range that you are looking at. If you can see if you can stick with a dealer. Most places give you somewhat of a warranty. But if you can afford new go with that. Not saying that you will not get any head aches from new either.

John

Try the ads at http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/.

You can change cities (regional) while browsing the boat category.

You can also set up automatic alerts that will advise you of a new ad. This saves checking every day.

Someone is always having to sell fast because they are moving or bought a bigger boat.

Shop now before the spring thaw when prices rise with demand.

Lots of good suggestions have been made, so list the ones important to you for reference when you go to view a potential purchase. Often this will give you bargaining power when the seller understands the additonal expenses you will incur for necessities such as mooring ropes, an anchor, etc.

good luck!

Just make sure that if you buy used you have the motor checked out for compression. Ask to see maintenance schedule and make sure that the lower end is good. Lot's of good used bots in the price range that you are looking at. If you can see if you can stick with a dealer. Most places give you somewhat of a warranty. But if you can afford new go with that. Not saying that you will not get any head aches from new either.

John

John makes some great points. Start with a leakdown compression test. IF the boat is glass look for structural cracks...if you do not know what they are then bring someone who does! If it is aluminum, check it for leaks. Check the hull for any spots that have been repaired or welded. Make sure the livewells work, steering cables are not seized, condition of the batteries and bilge pumps. Would could be a great deal goes out the window if many of those need to be replaced.

John makes some great points. Start with a leakdown compression test. IF the boat is glass look for structural cracks...if you do not know what they are then bring someone who does! If it is aluminum, check it for leaks. Check the hull for any spots that have been repaired or welded. Make sure the livewells work, steering cables are not seized, condition of the batteries and bilge pumps. Would could be a great deal goes out the window if many of those need to be replaced.

www.bigfatbass.com is a good spot to frequent as well.

Hey thanks, I was up late on Kijiji last night, searching the cities in southern Ontario area. My debate now is, selling my Jeep, which I enjoy very much, its my off roading machine. If I can sell, I will probably buy new and my price will be in the 15 range, if I keep my jeep, then I can only afford 5 and under.

I'll see what my options are, and I guess I better start doing my research on motors and boat welds vs rivots.

Thanks again for your responses, its been very helpfull.

Glenn

Here's the one that I picked one up on ebay last fall for 10k from the states and the paperwork, registration, and duty were all very reasonable. And as it was pointed out earlier, try and get some of the safety equipment if possible. It adds up fast.

ranger1.jpg

ranger3.jpg

Joe, did ya ever get the trailer registration worked out??? ya might want to point out that it's registered a little different from the States to Canada....isn't there a whole separate ownership or something for a trailer in the US??, I know you had an issue with that perhaps you could give this guy a head;s up from your experiences

That a mean looking machine Joey ,,,,real nice ! I've seen a lot of posts on other sites as well who have found great deals on boats AND the vehicles to pull them with state side . Since the loon can catch the eagle , it is a good option to look in to .

Joe, did ya ever get the trailer registration worked out??? ya might want to point out that it's registered a little different from the States to Canada....isn't there a whole separate ownership or something for a trailer in the US??, I know you had an issue with that perhaps you could give this guy a head;s up from your experiences

It seems that in NY they don't have titles on the trailors only registrations. As long as you have that you will have no problem registering it in canada. In my case I bought it from a 3'rd party and the original owners gave a signed affidavit that they had lost the registration. So now I'm waiting on the NY motor vehicle administration to get in contact with the original owners to verify it. To me it's still worth what I paid but to everyone else make sure you get a registration for the trailor. The boat wasn't a problem at all, one thing I found out is that most of the duty you have to pay is on the trailor and not the boat, as the trailor has to be registered with motor vehicles and the boat does not.

PS: Just to let you know the duty was only 1100 on the entire thing and only took about 15 minutes at the border. :dunno:

Go for the financed upgrade.

I went through 3 boats that just were'nt great for fishin.

Check out the Princecraft Pro 176, I have for sale in the buy and sell forum on this site.

This boat can do it all. From Big Lake trolling to back bay bassin.

The only reason it is for sale, is I needed a bigger boat to open a charter business.

Plus the motor on it is like new. It has just had a fresh full rebuild. Over $4,000 in parts. It is Like Brand New.

This is an outstanding value for the price. Replacement would be over $35,000

mike@reelpro.ca

Archived