Lampreys

dunder

Today, I took a stroll at a local lake front park in Burlington. I brought along the polarized sunglasses so I could scan the reasonably clear water for any movement. It didn't take long until I spotted schools of trout (I think brown) patrolling the shoreline. Oh wow, says I until I looked a little closer and noticed some had lampreys on them. Some with more than one :D

sealamprey.gif

images.jpg

It was my belief before this scene that the MNR has addressed this issue back in the 70's and 80's? That the lampreys had been illuminated or at least brought down to a minimal, non-threatening level?

Forgive my ignorance but it did not appear that way to me today. Are the vampires back? :dunno:

Any thoughts :)

Cheers, Hairwig

Simple Darwinism. Adapt or become extinct. The lamprey have adapted to current methods of control and eradication. They now spawn in areas outside of the normal spawning grounds, thereby avoiding the shock traps and the poisons used.

Guest canada

The big problem was the MNR gave up on controling the species cost to much for the program so it was shelved. Had nothing to do with adaptation strictly a $$$$$ thing! Took one off a 17lb chinnock today that one is eradicated :(:Gonefishing: . Yes there back in big way

Archived