I wish I was Joking.....

This is from an on-line blog I read regularly... The comments are the bloggers opinion - I happen to share their feelings......

Toronto to study shade mandate

After running out of things to ban in Toronto, they have now resorted to targeting sunlight and its effects on children.

Parents cannot be trusted to adequately look out for their children’s safety in this regard, so the City of Toronto is implementing a pilot project including "shade audits" that could end up resulting in the City attempting to regulate shade.

…A future policy could dictate the ratio of shade required based on the number of children that typically play in an area–and not just from trees, but from city-built special canopy structures, screens and sails…

One would assume that the City of Toronto must have tons of excess money with which to fund these studies, required structures, and all the bureaucracy that would go along with it.

Either that, or else they firmly believe that you can’t put a cost on protecting the children of Toronto from their irresponsible, slovenly, popcorn-and-beer-consuming parents.

But the problem remains that parents might take their children out of the city where there are no protective sunshine bans.

Perhaps His Blondness and Co. should just ban parenting altogether, and move all the kids into a huge sun-protected Government Care Centre. Mandatory uniforms would consist of helmets and bubble-wrap for each child. Taxes would have to go up drastically, but what price can you put on the safety of Toronto’s children? David knows best. Parents would be required to forward their child-tax credit directly to Mr. Miller.

Parental visitation would be strictly controlled by the City State, after having passed appropriate blood and urine tests, and proving that their carbon-footprint card for the previous week has been approved by the Green Police.

It would be a gun-free, peanut-free zone of course.

And a brain-free zone.

But that was the point all along.

I don't think people will have much trouble with that in the big city.....too many people are too lazy to get off thier @$$es and take thier kids outside to do anything anyways these days. Heck when I take my little one to the park to play, lucky if there is 1-2 other kids there with thier parents in the first place. :angry2:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that your kids should not be playing outside in the direct sun unprotected all day long. :angry2: Between going to my trailer (which I have huge tress making my patio shady all day) and doing other family things or just goffing around outside,my kids have never gotten a sunburn really, and I been a Dad for 14 years :Gonefishing:

At first glance this would read as the most insane, money spending, unnecessary thing that the Toronto bureaucracts could come up with.

This quote was a response to a 27-2 proposal passed by the city to analyze some of the cities public areas to ensure that there is enough cover for the many children that go there.

If you think about it - all the education that can be paid for to help people understand the effects of too much sun or even sun burn, can only go so far. In a large city such as Toronto you are not often blessed with a huge back yard. And so many live with their children in appartments. So where do they take them on a hot, sticky day? The park or the pool perhaps? We all know that the effects of the sun with the thinning of the ozone layer is far stronger today than when we were young. I had never gone to a city pool as a child and seen anything there other than cement and water. It is alarming how may children

are brought to the hospital each year with third degree burns all over the world.

Consider this too: "If sunscreen penetrates into the skin, it promotes the indirect DNA damages, which cause the most lethal form of skin cancer, malignant melanoma. This form of skin cancer is rare, but it is responsible for 75% of all skin cancer-related deaths. Increased risk of malignant melanoma in sunscreen users has been the subject of many epidemiological studies."

I don't think that it is that silly of an idea for many of the areas that are used by the public there.

I don't think that it is that silly of an idea for many of the areas that are used by the public there.

Do people lack so many brains or the concept of personal responsibility that they need to be mandated by law to keep their kids out of the sunlight?

Sorry, I have a problem with governments mandating (interfering) how you raise your families or live your lives.

If an area is to sunny, find some shade for your kids.....oh, never mind, that will soon be law in Toronto the Stupid..... :Gonefishing:

Do people lack so many brains or the concept of personal responsibility that they need to be mandated by law to keep their kids out of the sunlight?

Sorry, I have a problem with governments mandating (interfering) how you raise your families or live your lives.

If an area is to sunny, find some shade for your kids.....oh, never mind, that will soon be law in Toronto the Stupid..... :dunno:

Yes Lorna people do lack brains. For years the three levels of government have been slowly

taking our rights away. It's evolutionary. Done at bit at a time. And usually people are to busy

to pay any attention to the various stupid laws that get passed.

Now this latest one is just ridicious.

I'm in the building trade. How many roofers, siders, cement finishers, asphalt pavers, any one

that works out doors have we heard of that get skin cancer. Say for the last hundred years.

And I don't see any of these men rubbing lotion on each others backs :D

And many of these men go shirtless all day long.

Also, when I was a kid, we played outside from sun up to sun down, and we never had

suntan lotion back then and again, we didn't hear of skin cancer.

I'm not saying there is not a greater risk to day with peoples immune systems being

compromised with all the chemicals in our food and water and air.

But this latest joke on part of yet another government is just another, of many factors

being implimented, to slowly erode peoples rights.

I could go on but people with common sense and some awareness knows what's going on.

The others that don't, well they just follow the herd like a bunch of

All people are smart - you would never hear of anyone leaving a child or pet in a hot car - or not securing a window in a toddlers bedroom when living in a highrise - or driving under the influence. Why even bother telling us all this stuff. Wasting our money with this mundane information or laws. Providing shade in a public area is just nuts.

My kid grew up on a lake. I never put sunscreen on him there (we always used the base tan as our protection). He never got even a little burn. Yet I saw many an adult and child burn there. These things do happen.

This is not a LAW that Torontonians have to keep their children in the shade for x amount of time per day, yet it sounds as if that is what you are talking about. It was a motion pasted to look at the public areas and make make sure that there are enough areas of shade for anyone while using the space. Why pay tax dollars for upkeep if during the better part of the day, it is unwise to be there. The pools are a great example of this. How does this sound wrong?

Trades people that work outside do so all year round. They have a base of protection that the children and many adults don't get while they are either at work or in school. When they do get out - they are not as protected.

I too don't like when the government mandates many of the things they do. And yet I get more upset if they ignore the simple things to make all of us safer.

I'm doing a study on nudist camps ! They should be dying like flies on a dried turd......and the Asian people who eat fish daily from L.Ont should be tested immediately for toxic livers ! And clean people who lather up in the shower 2 - 3 times a day with petro based soaps should be checked for ulcers ! And food eaters who consume meat infested with hormones & veggies laden with DDT (from other countries) , need to have a geiger counter check up . I wonder how some of the people who live deep in the jungles of Africa live to be 100 without all of our wonderful anti - aging skin products & vitamin enriched Kelloggs ? We live in a "consumer" society where mass product keeps the wheels turning which enriches the lives of the special few at the expense of many ..........it's called Capitalism :lol:

Wise words from Smerch......."Govern yourselves accordingly" :D

. :dunno: .

Natural selection. There's a fine line between mentally disabled and just plane stupid. I'm with Froda on this one. Less Government interference.

I also noticed that this isn't the only place "Toronto the Stupid" is becoming a coined phrase!

...I too don't like when the government mandates many of the things they do...
... Less Government interference.

I also noticed that this isn't the only place "Toronto the Stupid" is becoming a coined phrase!

I'm with the Queenie on that issue too. But this was posted under Outdoor, Environment and Conservation.

I don't think "Toronto the Stupid" messed up on taking a look at proper shade availability at their public places.

If you read the original post it's not saying you have to keep your kids in the shade, it's saying that they want to ensure there is enough shade in Public Areas should people want to use it. Regualting park lands and pools to have facilities to get out of the sun. It's not about making people use the shade as the blogger has alluded to.

I find if I'm at a park with my son, I'm always looking for a place under a tree to sit while he plays. The big tree on the beach in Port Dalhousie was burnt down by vandals and it's amazing how much of a difference that one tree makes when we are down there playing volleyball.

I see what they're saying now. Thanks for the clarification. Like Mayor stupid doesn't understand my pro gun stance (I was out shot by an 8 year old yesterday at the Port C club) I didn't catch on to their "lack of shade" issue there as living in a well treed area , you can take things for granted. Mind you that is why I speak on development issues here. I never want to live in a Toronto.

Sorry to hear that and eight year old out shot you.

You must have had a bad day.

He could become a member of the Canadian Sniper Detachment - but that may just have him sent to Afghanistan.

I think grade four would be better for him.

Better luck next time ;-)

I'll get him next year! Got a clay slinger today. Will practice all year. I let him know I was coming for him next year :P

I'm green behind the barrel you know fanggo. Perhaps you can give me a few pointers. Of coarse we'll stand in the shade :Gonefishing:

Archived