Ontario's Dam problems

jedi jeffi

Here is a link to what is happening in B.C.

Then google 49 megawatts, we are about 2 years behind them in what is going on.

I know it is a kayak film but it does look at the issue from a fishing/wildlife side too!

We have all heard how the wild salmon fishery is in trouble out west, the can make you get a permit to fish for one but they can’t make the effort so the natural spawning watersheds are protected?.....

And now…..

In Ontario we have had a number micro hydro projects but forward this year, with the latest being on the Petawawa (2).

And we all know that a lot of fish spawn in the moving water.

Here is a link to Ontario dam sites, and this list is very incomplete.

Most sites are on public (yours) land, many existing dams that do not have micro hydro plants are privately owned. And the list does not include any old dam sites were a license is still owned by someone.

http://www.owa.ca/pdfs/news/Waterpower_Potential_Nov2005.pdf

Dam sites start at page 37 and are broken in to regions and categories.

1: Practical and Probable Projects

2: Practical Projects

3: Remaining sites (not practical)

Remember not practical does not mean someone as an individual could apply for that site and make a dam, the other sites can just make more money.

I can only speak of the rivers/dams that I know.

Example Gull River, Trent Severn System, Norland Ontario, existing dam, has the flow and vertical drop, is not listed for hydro development. Why?

The big fish/hunt/enviro guys are virtually non existent in this battle.

Look at B.C., Government hiding behind the “green” energy plan.

I literally fell into this, I severely broke my tail bone in the middle of February, and when I could begin to sit again “found” the Navigable waters Protection Act .

And then all this other “stuff”

I like you just like to be out there, and I just want to keep going, and make sure others can to.

So help “persuade” the big kids to come out and play, they have been quiet way too long.

Jeff McColl

http://www.ispeakforcanadianrivers.com/

Here is a link to what is happening in B.C.

Then google 49 megawatts, we are about 2 years behind them in what is going on.

I know it is a kayak film but it does look at the issue from a fishing/wildlife side too!

We have all heard how the wild salmon fishery is in trouble out west, the can make you get a permit to fish for one but they can’t make the effort so the natural spawning watersheds are protected?.....

And now…..

In Ontario we have had a number micro hydro projects but forward this year, with the latest being on the Petawawa (2).

And we all know that a lot of fish spawn in the moving water.

Here is a link to Ontario dam sites, and this list is very incomplete.

Most sites are on public (yours) land, many existing dams that do not have micro hydro plants are privately owned. And the list does not include any old dam sites were a license is still owned by someone.

http://www.owa.ca/pdfs/news/Waterpower_Potential_Nov2005.pdf

Dam sites start at page 37 and are broken in to regions and categories.

1: Practical and Probable Projects

2: Practical Projects

3: Remaining sites (not practical)

Remember not practical does not mean someone as an individual could apply for that site and make a dam, the other sites can just make more money.

I can only speak of the rivers/dams that I know.

Example Gull River, Trent Severn System, Norland Ontario, existing dam, has the flow and vertical drop, is not listed for hydro development. Why?

The big fish/hunt/enviro guys are virtually non existent in this battle.

Look at B.C., Government hiding behind the “green” energy plan.

I literally fell into this, I severely broke my tail bone in the middle of February, and when I could begin to sit again “found” the Navigable waters Protection Act .

And then all this other “stuff”

I like you just like to be out there, and I just want to keep going, and make sure others can to.

So help “persuade” the big kids to come out and play, they have been quiet way too long.

Jeff McColl

http://www.ispeakforcanadianrivers.com/

Jeff: Excellent resources. I have canoed several of these rivers. The oxtounge river for example rich drains the Algonquin Park water system into the lake of bays. To damn these rivers would impact greatly on recreational activities, fish spawning, water quality, mercury contamination after flooding. (James Bay Experience. Years ago I canoed the Montreal River, draining Lady Evelyn lake and remember all the trees underwater, slowly releasing mercury for sure. It is sort of a if a stream is damned in the forest and no one hears it does anyone care. The Serpent river for example draining into Georgian Bay is a beautiful river. Locally, why not create a series of drops along the Hydro canal and use the potential energy there of water that is already being diverted, rather then pristine streams. We have a false security in Canada that our water resources will never be depleted.

Like the Buffalo, the Passenger Pigeon, the Carolinian forests. You think that we would have learned from past mistakes. The money would be better spent on Wind Power in some area, and Geothermal, and conservation.

Whirlpool

Unfortunatley politicians are groomed how to talk, not make good governing decisions.

This is sad for sure but without growth there is no economy. We're kind of beyond the point of no return now it seems so real answers need to be put forward and implemented now.

The OFAH has been very critical of these hydro projects and did discourage one from happening. They didn't put a mover like Donna Cansfield in there to "protect the environment. It's called natural "resources" and that's the focus the government has.

Whirlpool your ideas are honorable but the suits see the bottom line and renewable is not as quick a return as H2O power. They'll always go the cheapest route because they don't see the costs unless they come in a $paper form. Environment only matters to them when the economy is good and it scores them points unless you live in Alberta where sacrificing the environment is making everyone financially comfortable.

In the current political dictionary, "hydro power" is "green power". As long as we reduce the carbon footprint nothing else matters.. It appeals to the general public and it plays well to the press. It also has economic value. They are willing to accept certain ecological consequences, and are incapable of understanding and comprehending the long term effects.

Unfortunatly we as a society have become dependant on electricity,industry our cars etc,etc. As our society becomes bigger and all of us want to live a certain quality of life more pressure is put on the enviroment to sustain this. I don't think one of us critizing proposed hydro projects is willing to do there part and give up there homes, cars , computers, appliences, home theater systems, heating, air conditioning and such. We are the big part of the problem, the public puts greater demands on our energy resource everyday and keeps getting worse. It seems to me somtimes most of us want our cake and to eat it to and this in fact is putting the biggest strain on our enviroment. Somtimes the solution to the problems only hurt us in other ways.

Unfortunatly we as a society have become dependant on electricity,industry our cars etc,etc. As our society becomes bigger and all of us want to live a certain quality of life more pressure is put on the enviroment to sustain this. I don't think one of us critizing proposed hydro projects is willing to do there part and give up there homes, cars , computers, appliences, home theater systems, heating, air conditioning and such. We are the big part of the problem, the public puts greater demands on our energy resource everyday and keeps getting worse. It seems to me somtimes most of us want our cake and to eat it to and this in fact is putting the biggest strain on our enviroment. Somtimes the solution to the problems only hurt us in other ways.

When a solution is propelled by greed, it will only create more problems and cost you more in the long run.

We are going to need hydro, no doubt about it.

But they can design the dams so the fish can still make spawning runs, they can make sure that the soil and plant life are removed from lakes created from the dams so mercury does not leech into the systems (the fish you want to eat/catch)

And they can also design the dams to lower the danger/libility so that you can fish there safely.

But It would cost them the bottom line less profit,

It it much easier to take, and then make you pay for the clean up.

In the BC case that the movie is about, the native Canadians will be given the dam in 40 years.......

just about the time the dam will need major refurbishing..... nice gift!

There are solutions but the quick easy ones are not the cheaper in the long run, and that is what our politicians lack. The are unable/afraid to actually do what is good for Canada's future.

Unless you tell them to now.

Jeff

When a solution is propelled by greed, it will only create more problems and cost you more in the long run.

We are going to need hydro, no doubt about it.

But they can design the dams so the fish can still make spawning runs, they can make sure that the soil and plant life are removed from lakes created from the dams so mercury does not leech into the systems (the fish you want to eat/catch)

And they can also design the dams to lower the danger/libility so that you can fish there safely.

But It would cost them the bottom line less profit,

It it much easier to take, and then make you pay for the clean up.

In the BC case that the movie is about, the native Canadians will be given the dam in 40 years.......

just about the time the dam will need major refurbishing..... nice gift!

There are solutions but the quick easy ones are not the cheaper in the long run, and that is what our politicians lack. The are unable/afraid to actually do what is good for Canada's future.

Unless you tell them to now.

Jeff

freaking tree hugger if you ask me

freaking tree hugger if you ask me

Freaking yes! tree hugger, depends. I am 53 now, have paddled 40 years, 10 years on Canada's National team.

Was all set working torwards early retirement so I could take up guiding people out into these areas, I eat fish and have taken hunter/fishing friends to my areas.

And I eat venison & fish that my friends give me.

Untill this Navigalbe Waters Protection Act happened, I was very happy to float along this path.

Because I was aware of these past cases

http://pages.interlog.com/~erhard/pruling.htm

I was aware the the Credit river at Norval case involved an ex MPP who after this case became a Liberal MP.

We, the out door community lost this one. I was Provincial Coach at the time. (volunteer)

My spider senses tingled.

And then with the Les Amis Kipawa group fighting the feds to enforce the existing laws, (Appeal 16 Sept, 2008, we lost this access one too, this is round 2)

And there was just one outdoor group at the committee meetings (Lake Ontario Water Keeper)

It does not bode well if we (that includes you) lose access rights.

So I jumped in!

And if you want to save a river for what ever activity you do, just one group putting up a fuss is not going to do it.

The tree hugger needs the fishing guys who need the paddlers who need the hunters..... and so on porfessional and local clubs.

Because the groups are scattered we all lose.

I grew up on the Credit in Erindale when the park was a land fill (says alot about where I played)

The credit use to be a lot like 16 Mile creek between Nassawaya (4 line, for the other old guys) and Dundas

Then they put the trunk sewer line down the middle of valley, How much tax money do you think has been spent to rehab the river?

So if you want to fish, you better learn to hug the watershed.

I don't own a gun.....

But I do own 2 compound bows....

Jeff

And then with the Les Amis Kipawa group fighting the feds to enforce the existing laws, (Appeal 16 Sept, 2008, we lost this access one too, this is round 2)

Jeff you posted this on the 11th. Check your dates.

As for tree huggers and hunters/anglers working together, I give up. Tree huggers are too damm emotional and can not see past the killing to join a common cause. Yes it makes sense but I've been trying to form working relationships with huggers on common issues for 3 years now with 0 positive results.

Easy there Canada,..... I'm a cross breed!

You know it's easy for us here in the South to mandate what Northern Ontario needs are for the sole purpose that we may want to canoue a freaking river once a year for a few days. On the otherside of the coin the northern communities may need these hydro dams they may need some developement and yes some of the enviroment may suffer. The northern people need jobs, they need an income and they don't need southern Ontario treehuggers mandating every project that effects there comunities. Sorry if your river got damed up but our comunity needs electricity.

So what are you saying there dude? We shouldn't be concerned if they don't put in a fish bypass? Geez its not asking much. Learn from history and don't repeat the same dam mistakes. I don't see asking them to spend a little more to ensure the river stays somewhat healthy by letting fish pass to the spawning grounds as being a dam tree hugger.

They just destroyed a very nice brook trout stream up there and the people up there that needed the hydro are as pissed off as any of us huggers are. Ya we need hydro to cook the dam fish but if there's no fish to cook! You can't have your cake and eat it too but if you don't spend a little more it aint cake your going to eat now is it?

Geez I thought us anglers and hunters were the best conservationists.

That ain't what I'm saying at all, don't put words in my mouth AGAIN!!!!!!!!! I'm just saying the dam treehugging southerners rarely look at both sides of the picture! There is 2 sides of the coin and yes I do support conservation, I didn't volunteer a 100hrs this spring planting trees, building deer enclosures, doing trail maintenance and such just to get some fresh air. What I am saying is there's 2 sides to the coin here and in lots of cases building a fishway may not be the answer if the original spawning grounds are destroyed. The Treehuggers sit in Southern Ontario in there $250,000 houses ,with 2 cars,boats and campers travel to Northern Ontario a couple times a year and then condem the northern comunities for wanting to get out of there shacks and have a decent income. Then they come out and say it's all about greed, when there last ones willing to give up there more then greedy lifestyle for the enviroment. I've also herd there is no concern when building these projects for the enviroment which is hardly the case in fact you can't even put a dock in the water without consultations with MNR concerning fish habitat and such.Unfortunatly some of the enviroment is going to disturbed and destroyed when Hydro dams are built, but unless your willing to move into a teepee and live off the land then I think it can be very hypicritical for us to condem other comunities for wanting to better there way of life!

I'd like to see the literature on the comunity with the destroyed trout stream.

Yes I do support conservation.......I just don't hop on board every treehugging venture till I hear both sides of the proposals, somtimes conservation may not always be in the best interest of the parties involved in todays world. The country has changed and no longer do we live in teepees and hunt & fish for our game. To live in the world today people need an income and jobs, which in some cases means the enviroment is going to suffer!

The country has changed...... excellent point

The big tree huggers don't get involved unless in means more members newstories and..... donations to their foundations.

I know quite a few people in northern Ontario, my brother a Lic. prospector in Nipigon is one.

Technology has changed things dramaticly, just like the auto industry automation, computors means you need less employees,

They need less lumber mills because they are so efficient now, so logs can be trucked in, and again less crews to cut because a big machine is so good at it.

And the mines up north are flying their crews in/out from the bigger airports, the small towns are seeing very few of the $ from these projects.

The out door industry fish/hunt/outfitters are the ones bringing in the $ to the communities.

when I was last driving back down the Mayor of Nipigon acknowledged this fact (on CBC radio) and said they were embarking on a multi industry plan, with the outdoor groups both eco and hunting/fishing big a major part of the plan. She said norther communities could no longer survive being one or two industry centers, and tecnolgy changes were a major factor.

The groups fighting these dams up there (Grassy River High Falls, one) are hunters/fisherman, outdoor guys just like you. just like the BC slalmon fishing guy,

they need your support, The guys at Grassy contacted the paddlers for support, there are no big eco tree huggers helping them. (period)

Local construction jobs from building the dams, these proposals are from multinational companies, just like the big chains, they have their own construction guys, so very little for the local guy there.

These dams are also highly automated and they can be run buy computer from a long way away. So on a small project a part time job or several together and the job is mostly coustodial.

The dams on the Trent/Severn are run the same way, and romour has it the office is in Chicago. Water levels are registered by computer with solar back-ups in case of power failures, and a couple of crews to manage the system.

The simple fact is your fishing brothers in other parts of the country need your voice, so does the waitress at the resturant and the owner of the lodge, ....

The outdoor industry is the big employer! and that is the fact of life, the locals know it. No fish, no hunt season, no reason for anyone to go there, no local jobs!

The country has changed

It is not as simple as it sounds, and if it wasn't for the internet, we wouldn't know,

Look at how the feds have "taken care" of the fisheries on the east and west coast, A lot of ex-fisherman take eco tourists out because they can't fish the waters anymore, ......

And if someone emails me looking for help or a group that can support them, I will help.

It's not a job.... It's a life choice

Jeff

OHhhh PS

2 big envrio groups have tried "spanking" me for being to vocal in this election,

So I contacted the rest of the grass roots guys like those up in Timmins....

And they say keep firing away.

They say at least some others are now aware of their concerns and they are finding some help.

And me..... I always did have a problem with authority ...... ;)

Dude I see what your saying. Wern't those deer exclosures you were building.

I'll find that mag that printed the story about the brook stream that got dammed up. There's allot more like em scheduled for the same. It was either OOD or OC magazine.

Dude I see what your saying. Wern't those deer exclosures you were building.

I'll find that mag that printed the story about the brook stream that got dammed up. There's allot more like em scheduled for the same. It was either OOD or OC magazine.

Your right they are exclosures, but the Conservation Authority refered to them as enclosures, I guess because they are trying to enclose the trees they plant :lol: I was amazed at the destruction the deer do to a 20 acre parcel in the Short Hills, you plant it and within a season 90% is gone, what a wasted effort :P ........Deer are like rodents in the Park right now :o

The country has changed...... excellent point

The big tree huggers don't get involved unless in means more members newstories and..... donations to their foundations.

I know quite a few people in northern Ontario, my brother a Lic. prospector in Nipigon is one.

Technology has changed things dramaticly, just like the auto industry automation, computors means you need less employees,

They need less lumber mills because they are so efficient now, so logs can be trucked in, and again less crews to cut because a big machine is so good at it.

And the mines up north are flying their crews in/out from the bigger airports, the small towns are seeing very few of the $ from these projects.

The out door industry fish/hunt/outfitters are the ones bringing in the $ to the communities.

when I was last driving back down the Mayor of Nipigon acknowledged this fact (on CBC radio) and said they were embarking on a multi industry plan, with the outdoor groups both eco and hunting/fishing big a major part of the plan. She said norther communities could no longer survive being one or two industry centers, and tecnolgy changes were a major factor.

The groups fighting these dams up there (Grassy River High Falls, one) are hunters/fisherman, outdoor guys just like you. just like the BC slalmon fishing guy,

they need your support, The guys at Grassy contacted the paddlers for support, there are no big eco tree huggers helping them. (period)

Local construction jobs from building the dams, these proposals are from multinational companies, just like the big chains, they have their own construction guys, so very little for the local guy there.

These dams are also highly automated and they can be run buy computer from a long way away. So on a small project a part time job or several together and the job is mostly coustodial.

The dams on the Trent/Severn are run the same way, and romour has it the office is in Chicago. Water levels are registered by computer with solar back-ups in case of power failures, and a couple of crews to manage the system.

The simple fact is your fishing brothers in other parts of the country need your voice, so does the waitress at the resturant and the owner of the lodge, ....

The outdoor industry is the big employer! and that is the fact of life, the locals know it. No fish, no hunt season, no reason for anyone to go there, no local jobs!

The country has changed

It is not as simple as it sounds, and if it wasn't for the internet, we wouldn't know,

Look at how the feds have "taken care" of the fisheries on the east and west coast, A lot of ex-fisherman take eco tourists out because they can't fish the waters anymore, ......

And if someone emails me looking for help or a group that can support them, I will help.

It's not a job.... It's a life choice

Jeff

OHhhh PS

2 big envrio groups have tried "spanking" me for being to vocal in this election,

So I contacted the rest of the grass roots guys like those up in Timmins....

And they say keep firing away.

They say at least some others are now aware of their concerns and they are finding some help.

And me..... I always did have a problem with authority ...... :lol:

The high price of Hydro is the main factor closing the mills in the North and if you think eco tourism is going to equal the revenue brought in by mills and resource industries your living in Fantasy land :P Mill jobs pay big $$$$$ compared to pennies for service positions. The mill down here actually has built it's own power station to stay competitive.

Thanks for the debate, your points and counter-points have really helps others see what's going on, so when someone googles a search for items on these issues it is not just one guy posting They don't see :lol: They see a debate. And this stuff does get googled, That's how all these local groups find each other.

And it was all part of my evil plan to take over the world.....

When the NWPa/dams issues hit, it was hard to find any info.

And thanks to people using virgin computor searches they are all now easy to find....

wahahahahahah (evil laugh)

By staying on top of the forums it makes sure that the issue is introduced to new individuals.

And this has all been done by concerned fisherman/hunters/paddlers....... just reg. outdoors guys and girls.

With no big enviro groups backing them.

It gets them thinking, and lets others see the person for who they truely are and what they beleive in.

Like I said by taking your stand, you have helped much more than you think.

And I thank you for that.!

Jeff

Wow Jeff your starting to sound like Knightfisher :(

Dude wait a few more year when the ground cover starts coming back in there. On Navy Island If you want to see deer, head right for the exclosures. You can buy a cedar at *-mart and use it to bait your stand. Are you working with Yagi? She never returned my calls about the beaver movie Doc and I wanted to make with here :lol:

Jeff are you local to Niagara? The SCGF will be touring the Heywood tomorrow around 4pm BTW. My pipe dream is to allow fish passage there but we'll be addressing trespass issues tomorrow.

I am who I am, live in downtown Milton!!! walk to work as a lettercarrier, and I really did break my butt..... :blink:

That's how it got all messed up in this, I was they guy looking to retire early and take like minded induviduals out to the places I know.

The true hunt/fish outdoors dudes and dude -ettes are happy just being out there :lol:

It's that feeling I want to make sure my kids and everyone eles who has that passion get a chance, so here I am,

Not being a computer geek, i asked what I had to do to make sure that when someone googled the issue the good guys ( :blush: us) were in the top 50,

Canadians seem to have a knack if not voiceing their concerns, looking for the truth.

And I was told not to get into the name calling thing ( :worthy: ) and keep to the truth B) , because the bad guys( :angry2: ) do watch these things

(note to bad guys....... were on to you ..... :( ) now they have to figure out if I am psychotic :D

Well I am a postal worker.........

And when they ask if I own any weapons and when I say I own 2 compond bows.... :blink: you ought to see their reaction...

It's just like in kids sports..... it's all about the fun.... mine just happens to be being in the outdoors......

Jeff

PS: On the serious side if every regular outdoor user got on their keyboard, we would make a difference, government does work on numbers and we/us all together make up one heck of a big number we all have the same passion, just different uses of it, so take it to them....let them know you care!

I can be or what I write can be on 50 sites ( :blink: it is actually more, it's that google thing again) buy me a beer around a campfire some time and I will tell you a story or 2, and even the eagles give me fish http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/560833442bbZPOy?start=12

Jeff

Wow Jeff your starting to sound like Knightfisher :blink:

Dude wait a few more year when the ground cover starts coming back in there. On Navy Island If you want to see deer, head right for the exclosures. You can buy a cedar at *-mart and use it to bait your stand. Are you working with Yagi? She never returned my calls about the beaver movie Doc and I wanted to make with here B)

Jeff are you local to Niagara? The SCGF will be touring the Heywood tomorrow around 4pm BTW. My pipe dream is to allow fish passage there but we'll be addressing trespass issues tomorrow.

Actually Dan the deer exclosure project was done by "friends of Short Hills Park" and the Conservation Authority, funding issues I think :( although the Park Superintendant and Park warden were there lending us a hand :lol: I have worked with Ann Yagi on a few tree planting projects eg , Queenston and Firemans park! Good luck at heywood today I must of saw 20-30 kids and a few adults all over the restricted area this weekend, some of the kids are perched right on the spillway concrete :angry2: .......Something should be done soon or the fire dept will be trolling with the big hook :D:worthy:

Wow Jeff your starting to sound like Knightfisher B)

Thanks for the compliment Dan..... it was a compliment right :(

Good topic Jeff. Stick to your viewpoint. This is what really helps others

see what's really going on. Even if many don't post, they are reading

and getting an education.

The unfortunate fact about Canadians is their ability to continue to just

bend over and receive what ever is presented to them.

I have a word to describe these people, but I found some take it to

personally, though it was always used as a generalization, so best I don't post that ""Word""

but it has to do with a herd, walking aimlessly, accepting most everything told them :lol:

:lol: Yes it was a compliment. We don't always agree but if everyone did we could just let others make our decisions for us. Wait a minute thats what we do now :o .

Dude I got some good shots AND we washed Aldo off the rocks :lol: . But its going to take more than a hook to discourage them. Seems this dam issue has allot in common with the original post. Both are going to happen despite our efforts to curb them and mistakes will happen, people will suffer and we'll all just shake our heads after and say "what a waste".

At least we're making an effort to educate and make things right. That's more then most will bother to try. Where it goes from there is probably out of our hands but who knows. We may have some sort of positive impact and even a little is somewhat satisfying. Hey Maybe your opinion will be responsible for a fish bypass!!!

:worthy: I'm not worthy...

and now on to tonights topic :lol:

1st all candidates meeting in Halton.

My goal in going to these things is not to embarrass myself or our cause, it is just to get the word out and make a few others know and after the questions network with those that would be interested on how the Changes to the NWPA will effect them.

And to make sure we get some people at the dinner table for the next round.

Tonights question will be at the end.

To get a question asked you had to deposit it in a box and a moderator would ask the candidates.

Well I had my type written question ready to go (plus a couple of extra copies), On how I made sure it got asked, we will have to discuss it over a beverage or two around the campfire....

(there's always a story in the naked city....)

Garth Turner had an advantage on because I had asked the question at the Dion town hall and being the sitting member, that is who I talked to when this issue first hit,

And it was a good (for our side) postitive answer,

The Greens was good and the lady was well spoken and in the entire debate I put her in a tie with Garth.

Lisa Raitt the Conservative who was parachuted in by Mr. Harper (President & ceo of the Toronto Port authority)

Was caught unaware of the issue. So she invited me to talk to her after the debte. (Little bonus for admiting Lack of knowledge.)

Rule # 1 don't invite me for lunch, I will probably stay for dinner :lol: And there is no need to ask me twice.

After the debate she didn't get off the stage :o .....

We had a good 5 min discussion on the issue and some of the shortcomings of her colleages since she raised the issue during the debate that Canadians should be heard through the "known" processes..... ( :angry2: yea. I know don't start)

And Since Garth was "delayed" by a reporter, he didn't get off the stage either :blush:

And He said Quote " Gee, you don't let go do you?)

Add evil smile here.... B)

And so on to your assignment boys and girls.....

Don't let go!!!!

Remember the issue in here is what happens to small waters in the act. so here was tonights question.

My question has to do with some proposed changes to the

Navigable Waters Protection Act.

This Act, enshrined in law, gives all Canadians access to waterways and protects access to those waterways for future generations - the ability to canoe, kayak, power boat, to fish and to hunt, much the same as Canadians 100 years ago, except instead of doing it to survive we do it for recreation.

In the recent past, Canadians have learned to use this Act for protection of their water ways. The Act required that “works” be made known, giving a chance for concerned citizens to voice their concerns over those proposed projects. If Canadians, even 40 years ago, showed the same concern for their environment we would not be using huge amounts of tax dollars to rehabilitate the many cement ditches and destroyed urban watersheds.

The proposed changes to this act threaten to remove/takeaway these historic hereditary Canadian rights.

We can understand the need for changes,

We can also understand the need for fast track mechanisms to build infrastructure projects.

But we also understand that these works need to be done in an environmentally way as to safeguard the health of Canadian watersheds.

Would you have the courage to protect these rights for the average Canadian, and would you step outside party lines to do so?

Jeff

Archived