Canada is #3 in the world...

fishstick

Canadians are dirty little emitters

iStock

It’s shocking, but true: only Australia and the United States emit more greenhouse gases than Canada.

A report released last spring by Statistics Canada said that every Canadian was responsible for more than 23 tonnes of greenhouse gases emitted in 2005, the last year for which it had compiled data.

Granted, each of us didn’t personally spew those tonnes into our air while driving to work. But thanks to our industries, our resource-based economy, how much energy it takes to stay warm during our winters, the distance over which we drive our cars and ship our goods – that was the final tally StatsCan laid at the feet of each Canadian in a report released in April 2008.

According to data analyzed by PollutionWatch, a collaboration between Environmental Defence and the Canadian Environmental Law Association (CELA), in 2005 Canadian companies reported emitting 279 million tonnes of greenhouse gases and more than 4 billion kilograms of toxins associated with smog and acid rain, respiratory illnesses and cancer.

More on Sympatico/MSN Green:

• How to make your home more energy efficient

• Group loses bid to force Ottawa to comply with Kyoto

• Global warming: Are we really toast?

• 10 toxins in your home

• Study blasts one-size-fits-all approach to climate change

PollutionWatch data are pulled from public databases provided by Environment Canada’s National Pollutant Release Inventory and the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting Program.

In signing the Kyoto accord, Canada agreed to reduce emissions by 6 percent below 1990 levels by 2012. Ottawa has admitted that emissions had actually climbed by 24 per cent above 1990 levels by 2004.

According to a report on 2006 data her team will soon be releasing, CELA spokeswoman Fe de Leon told Sympatico/MSN that we’re not any closer to reaching our Kyoto commitment.

That's largely because federal regulations don't force companies to meet reduction targets, said CELA lawyer Joseph Castrilli. "We need something national because responses at a provincial level are uneven," he said.

"In our view, the only way we're going to get a positive response is through regulations," said de Leon.

Where do the worst of these emissions come from? The power and energy companies that heat our homes and fuel our cars, with companies based in Ontario and Alberta leading the way. Several of them are coal-fired plants that generate "dirty" energy, which speaks to the need for alternative energy solutions in Canada for the demands of such things as winter heating.

"The shift needs to be in changing technology," said de Leon.

Ontario Power Generation’s coal-powered Nanticoke Generating Station was our top air polluter in 2005, releasing more than 17.6 million tonnes of greenhouse gases.

The remaining top nine were:

• The Sundance Generating Facility/Plant in Alberta, owned by TransAlta Utilities Corporation, with almost 16.2 million tonnes,

• Syncrude Canada’s Mildred Lake and Aurora North Plant sites in Alberta, with more than 10.3 million tonnes,

• The Genesee Thermal Generating Station in Alberta owned by EPCOR Power Development Corporation, with more than 8.9 million tonnes,

• Ontario Power Generation’s Lambton Generating Station with more than 8.7 million tonnes,

• Suncor Energy Inc.’s Oil Sands in Alberta, with almost 7.7 million tonnes,

• Saskatchewan Power Corporation’s Boundary Dam Power Station, with more than 6.7 million tonnes,

• The Sheerness Generating Station owned by Alberta Power (2000) Ltd., wth more than 6.5 million tonnes,

• The Keephills Generating Plant in Alberta owned by TransAlta Utilities Corporation, with more than 6.1 million tonnes, and

• The Battle River Generating Station owned by Alberta Power, with almost 5.5 million tonnes.

That’s just greenhouse gases. What about pollutants listed as toxic under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, such as hydrochloric acid; hydrogen fluoride, sulphuric acid, or mercury?

The HBM&S Co. Ltd. Metallurgical Complex in Manitoba owned by Hudson Bay Mining & Smelting won the dubious distinction of leading the toxic top 10 with more than 203.2 million kilograms of toxins.

It was followed by:

• Inco’s Copper Cliff Smelter Complex in Ontario, with more than 192.5 million kilograms,

• Inco’s Thompson Operations in Manitoba, with more than 182.5 million kilograms,

• Syncrude Canada’s Mildred Lake Plant site in Alberta, with more than 99.3 million kilograms,

• Ontario Power Generation’s Nanticoke Generating Station also made this list, releasing more than 93.5 million kilograms,

• SaskPower’s Boundary Dam Power Station in Saskatchewan, with more than 67.8 million kilograms,

• TransAlta Utilities Sundance Generating Facility in Albert with more almost 58.8 million kilograms,

• Nova Scotia Power’s Lingan Generating Station, with more than 56.8 million kilograms,

• SaskPower’s Poplar River Power Station, with more than 50.7 million kilograms and

• The Sheerness Generating Station in Alberta owned by Alberta Power (2000) Ltd., with more than 49.9 million kilograms.

According to Pollution Watch, emissions of oxides of nitrogen associated with smog rose 19 per cent in 2005 to more than 615.6 million kilograms from just over 518 million kilograms in 2002, while emissions of particulate matter linked to respiratory illnesses increased 7 per cent to more than 51.9 million kilograms from almost 48.4 million kilograms. Levels of sulphur dioxide grew 4 percent to more than 1.9 million kilograms from just under 1.9 million in 2002.

The release of mercury into our air dropped 9 percent from 5,183 kilograms to 4,711. But that was more than negated by the increase in mercury released onto land – which rose 848 percent to 36,536 kilograms from 3,850.

And they worry so much about us separating our paper, food waste and recyclables? :blink: How about some severe fines for not cleaning up their act instead of recieving tax breaks Mr. Harper.... :o

Hum....sounds like someone wants Dion's Carbon Tax to be implemented <_<

And because it was brought up, and already in effect in B.C., it will just be

a matter of time before it is country wide.

Gee....being politicians are very selective on the information they release to

the public, you can bet that behind closed doors, it was agreed that Dion, knowing

he would lose the election, bring forth the Carbon Tax.

Like all taxes recommended by the various parties, once put up for debate, most

get implemented.

The logic is usually something on the lines, reasons beyond our control force

us to :o:blink::blahblah1:

Anyways, being that Google is our friend, search for the most polluting countries

and see what you come up with.

According to the Energy Information Administration, the United States, China, Russia, Japan, and India together account for 54% of the world's total carbon dioxide emissions, which represent the largest share of man-made greenhouse gases.

1. United States

2. China

3. Russia

4. Japan

5. India

6. Germany

7. Canada

8. United Kingdom

9. Italy

10. South Korea

And notice Australia is not even in the list :rolleyes:

Yep, seems like the foundation is being poured

to ensure the Carbon Tax becomes a reality.

Hum....sounds like someone wants Dion's Carbon Tax to be implemented <_<

And because it was brought up, and already in effect in B.C., it will just be

a matter of time before it is country wide.

Gee....being politicians are very selective on the information they release to

the public, you can bet that behind closed doors, it was agreed that Dion, knowing

he would lose the election, bring forth the Carbon Tax.

Like all taxes recommended by the various parties, once put up for debate, most

get implemented.

The logic is usually something on the lines, reasons beyond our control force

us to :o:blink::blahblah1:

Anyways, being that Google is our friend, search for the most polluting countries

and see what you come up with.

According to the Energy Information Administration, the United States, China, Russia, Japan, and India together account for 54% of the world's total carbon dioxide emissions, which represent the largest share of man-made greenhouse gases.

1. United States

2. China

3. Russia

4. Japan

5. India

6. Germany

7. Canada

8. United Kingdom

9. Italy

10. South Korea

And notice Australia is not even in the list :rolleyes:

Yep, seems like the foundation is being poured

to ensure the Carbon Tax becomes a reality.

It appears the statistics are per/person. Due to the cold winters of Canada and the long distances to drive, the statistics can be misleading. This being said, we should make all efforts to reduce our Carbon Footprint by changing our lifestyles etc. I think that the government should reward people (and they do in some cases) that reduce their carbon footprints. Waive taxes on energy saving appliances etc. In this global economy, we are contributing to the carbon emmissions of countries such as China and the USA by purchasing product made there. This is difficult to avoid as well, since some products such as blue jeans, TV sets, our food even are no longer made in North America. Pollution has no boundaries.

Whirlpool

I heard China is very close to the US & will soon be #1 .......I see in the last chart that we are close to Italy with pollution ??? Then Italy must be really smokin if you compare the size of that country which will fit into L.Ontario :blahblah1: cough cough :rolleyes:

While I visited Port Dal. today I was looking at dozens of HUGE cabin cruisers that have just been "shrink" :blink: wrapped for the winter ......It must be nice to be able to buy these ships and burn up 300 lts. of gas just cruising for the day & burning all the power you like in you spacious heated pool in your 6 bathroom mansion while we are told to buy a toy car that get 100 mpg :o & turn our heat down .....I won't say it ! <_<

Knightfisher good post. I never would have thought of that. A Liberal controlled media and Government agencies (you bet I know who's in power but I also know who's been there the last 10 years before that!) put out this report before an election with the Liberals playing the green card. I hate it when that card is played irresponsibly. Its going to create a hate on the environment. Anyway the economy collapses and the environment vote is looking for work.

I thought something stunk when I saw Australia! Their the green messengers of the world. Anyway I think whirlpool and I agree too. Good way to point out the statistical illusion and I couldn't agree more. We not only should try to reduce as individuals and not depend on a Government handout for inspiration, but............ we should all encourage our Government to give handouts for inspiration :huh:

I sent a letter to the Lady environment Minister (forget her name already) and it got answered 3 months later by John Baird. I also told My MP's office the environment was still my number one concern when they called me during the election.

Dano I'm not saying I agree your source was full of poo, I'm just saying that questioning it and coming up with your own opinion after cross referencing both sides of the argument is probably going to give you the most accurate answer. That and bringing it to a discussion forum to trade points with friends. B)

While I visited Port Dal. today I was looking at dozens of HUGE cabin cruisers that have just been "shrink" :huh: wrapped for the winter

I'd like to know what happens to all of that shrinkwrap after it comes off the boats? If it get recycled somehow or.... B)

Archived