Tonight @ the FECC

Dan Andrews

NWA/FECC Mid-Pen Corridor

When Tuesday, Dec 9, 2008

Description The Mid-Peninsula Corridor: What are the Alternatives? Fort Erie Conservation Club, 2555 Ott Road, Stevensville 7:00pm - 9:00pm What is the Niagara to GTA Corridor (a.k.a. Mid-Pen Corridor), its purpose, its benefits, its problems, other transportation alternatives, its status, the process & the project team members? It's big but we have Project Team Members to bring us up to date on the two year old project. Join us with our friends from the Niagara Woodlot Association for an informative presentation. From Hwy 3 travel north on OTT Road to the Stevensville Conservation Area on the west side of the road. From Sodom Road turn west on West Main Street to end & entrance of C.A. Tel: 905-957-3801 (Adrian Peters) or 905-734-6466 (Gord McQueen)

It has been a very divisive issue in Niagara. From an economic viewpoint, yes it would be a benefit to Welland and the Falls. In turn, it would kill a lot of the commerce gerated by the small Hwy. running through Smithville. The municipalities along the QEW derive no benefit, but would see commerce drawn away. Those municipalities also do not want to shoulder a financial burden that will have no benefit to them.

I don't know, I thought it was shelved.

While it might help some cities Tom, as Bruce said,

how many little towns will it hurt. and of course

how much land will we lose, which will affect

peoples lives, as well as the wild life.

Anyone know if it's still in the planning stages ?

It is still very early in the planning stages. They insist it is not a highway but a corridor. They haven't decided on any one form of transportation whether it be rail, boat or road. You can review the process on their web site and submit comment with one of their forms. All input be it stakeholder, business, public or otherwise can be viewed on the web site as well.

This EA will not be complete until late 2010. There will be another Public Information Session in February 2009. If I get the details, I will post them ASAP. They are trying to distance themselves from the Mid Pen Highway. They've basically learned a lesson from the backlash they received and are taking it slow and following all necessary channels.

I think the biggest challenge they had before was climbing the escarpment. Its much more complex this time taking into account our economic awakening.

The one question I asked was, "Where is the ultimate destination of this corridor? Niagara to GTA makes it obvious that Toronto is one destination but to where? Niagara is what? Fort Erie, Niagara Falls or the US border?" The answer said it all.

"Obviously with most of our trade being with the US, the border is our destination but where it should meet the border has not been determined whether it be Niagara Falls, Fort Erie or otherwise."

Although they expressed interest in compact communities and capitalizing on existing infrastructure and are considering economic impact on existing communities, the goal is the same. Better trade route. Incorporating transit while minimizing environmental, social economic and agricultural impacts are gifts that will come with the package.

A new environmental writer for the Welland Tribune asked if the "corridors" theme will be based on the belief that fossil fuels will never run out, apologized for her extreme question and added to her question by asking if any alternative technologies like electric were being explored. The answer was clear. They are looking to add to whats already there (roads) but nothing is being ruled out.

My understanding was it to alleviate a lot of truck traffic going between the border at Fort Erie and Hamilton along the QEW. This would take pressure off of developing more farm land along the QEW.

As much as 'progress' does change the landscape the convenience and time savings can be huge. I love the new Red Hill Valley Expressway up the Hamilton mountain. It knocks about 10-15 minutes off my trip to Bay City on the Hamilton mountain but I think they did a good job of not changing the rivers path and maintaining hiking trails.

Archived