So what's that lucky colour again?????

jwl

Hit the bank with Bones today and had a great time at it. Weather and conditions alot more favourable than Friday. Fish surfacing the whole time we where there, I knew it was going to be a good day.

wasn't long before my "secret bait" gets me some steelie action, a spunky high flying fresh run hen..got it to shore, took my bait out of it's mouth and before it could smile and say cheese it went back in to warn the others :D

Next one wasn't getting away without a couple photo ops

346532373.jpg

346532371.jpg

and finally....

346532368.jpg

Next up some laker action....

346532367.jpg

and here is what that one had to say for the camera....

346532366.jpg

low and behold....

346532476.jpg

I think Bones was getting a little sick of being my camera man, so I though I would return the favour

346532478.jpg

all in all a great fun morning.....2 steelies and 3 lakers on the bank, and we each lost a nice fish as well...so 5 for 7 out of the morning is pretty good by me.

Thanks for sharing a great adventure we me once again Bones...gotta love the winter :blink:

Oh and by the way...for all the sceptics of the other day...fluke???....I think not :lol: ..check out the bait choice :D

Wow nice job Jack.

Cool you both got into some fish.

Come on now, share your secret bait :D

ya I am glad I helped Bones get into something, he never fished the area we went before..and jigging for trout was a whole new ball game for him...

as for the secret colour..well it ain't pink or black :blink:

Dang jack, I am really impressed with you and those mister twisters :lol:

I really want to get out one day and use those mister twisters, maybe ill get that white stripe off my back :D

Speaking of white.... :blink:

Your magic lure white grub seemed to be attracting those fish as usual.

Thanks for the report.

What size jig head were you using? 3/8 or 1/4 oz?

We were getting quite a few hang ups and still need to be fine tuned for less snag.

Your magic lure white grub seemed to be attracting those fish as usual.

Thanks for the report.

What size jig head were you using? 3/8 or 1/4 oz?

We were getting quite a few hang ups and still need to be fine tuned for less snag.

1/4 jig heads..hard to cast out there..gotta use light line..I use 8lb at the max..you gotta get snagged once in a while or you aren't going to learn where the rocks are and how to work your jig on the bottom :)

hey come on folks...how many members here????

and the whole front page of a fishing forum, and only 2-3 fishin reports and 2 of them are mine :):lol:

Were going to try the Whirlpool Dec 19 for the first time. We are planning on using the slip-float rig with a 6lb flouro leader and some brown trout roe or pink powerbait 2.5" worms. But maybe we will try some jigs. If you are free that friday, come down and help us out, we will probably be lost!

Matt

Jack,

Few are posting for the reason:

Some of us might be intimidated by your post, and cannot measure up.

Maybe you should one day pretend and post like this:

"Everyone except me got tons of fish"

Or "Every fish I caught, I was not able to land them."

Or "I forgot my magic lure and have to use some pebbles as bait, therefore I got skunk!"

Once the gang realized that you are just one of us average angler, then we will post anything else except fish success stories , including our recent encounter with our imperfect mother-in-law stories or stupid stories like "we not only got skunked but slipped on some rocks, now our line and our feet got wet. "

Jack,

Few are posting for the reason:

Some of us might be intimidated by your post, and cannot measure up.

Maybe you should one day pretend and post like this:

"Everyone except me got tons of fish"

Or "Every fish I caught, I was not able to land them."

Or "I forgot my magic lure and have to use some pebbles as bait, therefore I got skunk!"

Once the gang realized that you are just one of us average angler, then we will post anything else except fish success stories , including our recent encounter with our imperfect mother-in-law stories or stupid stories like "we not only got skunked but slipped on some rocks, now our line and our feet got wet. "

hey I post about the follies too.....there is the odd maybe once or twice a year report where I get skunked too :P , a couple weeks ago I got skunked at Port..that's my 1 :lol:

and many reports tell tales of the "one that got away"

as for forgetting "the magic lure"..well that isn't going to happen, I play with my tackle the day before fishing like a smart kid on a fatty...and I wasn't holding out...the "magic bait" is right in the pics

I downsize..upsize according to my planned tactics of the day..sound silly but for this report..I brought a good variet of trout related tackle...and guess what's the only thing that left my bag...a couple jig heads and some twisters...go figure, basically I carried all the rest down for nothing..oh well..

I have had my fair share of slipping on the rocks, getting wet ect along the way.

I am always one to share pointers no problem on what helps me catch more fish.

there's tonnes of folks out there that can outfish me on any day, there's lots of different kinds of fishing going on all year, and tonnes of great success stories along the way. When I go out fishing with most of my fishing buddies, we are all always learning new things all the time, or we put our combined knowledge together and see what we come up with. There;s often some good ole competition along the way, the usual ribbing that comes along with it.

Key is...always look at it as a learning factor, you aren't going to catch any fish by not trying..believe me I have done alot of fishing in Niagara and spent my whole life since a kid doing it to find the places I am successful at and the tactics that help me get them along the way. I know places that will put out some sort of fish 12 months a year..all different species as the time of year becomes optimum to get them ect...that doesn't come over night..that takes years of experimenting, trying lots of different locations, structure at different time of year depending on what you are fishing for. I have spent years keeping fishing journals and recorded as many factors as I can about the day and conditions...the date...time...weather...water conditions...surrounding conditions....fish sought...fish caught...areas fished... and so on and over time have been fortunate enough to put that all into play.

Being some where at the right time is not always just "a lucky day" :worthy:

Jack,

You caught many trout using roe and artificial lure.

In general technique fishing for trout. Would you say using roe outfish using artificial lure on the same condition when the water is reasonably good to use both roe and lure on the same spot?

There seemed to be more anglers using roe rather than artificial in catching trout, is this a norm, or just harder to use artificial lure in catching trout due to unpredictable current conditions.

Jack,

You caught many trout using roe and artificial lure.

In general technique fishing for trout. Would you say using roe outfish using artificial lure on the same condition when the water is reasonably good to use both roe and lure on the same spot?

There seemed to be more anglers using roe rather than artificial in catching trout, is this a norm, or just harder to use artificial lure in catching trout due to unpredictable current conditions.

timing...it's all in the timing....roe and imitations like sucker spawn flies and yarnflies will out fish most things when the time ois right.....when the steelies follow the salmon to eat the eggs...then the browns spawn shortly after..then the lakers...so the fish take advantage of all the roe in the water to be a big forage base of easy pickings.

Then when it gets to be this time of year it is transition time and the bite starts to change...minnows, imitations, streamers , and yes jigs will start to out do the roe bite...the browns have dropped back from spawning, and morphing back into shape from the spawn..the lakers have spawned and starting to go into thier winter feeding places and start putting on the feedbag to re-charge after the rigours of spawning..roe still has it's place however but I think minnow type baits will outfish roe this time of eyar no problem...rie still has it's place because in the Niagara the bow spawn sporatically between now, and right into spring..they run in different stages all winter long thats why you get dark fish that have been in the river for a long time and also fresh run fish all in the same day and areas..you will hit fish on roe still...but for the most part by this time of eyar and later into the year there is not fresh roe in the water any more :P

I know places that will put out some sort of fish 12 months a year..all different species as the time of year becomes optimum to get them ect...

You must be talking Port D :lol: j/k Jack :worthy:

Actually I just fish there in the late fall winter months,

mostly for the convience. And of course I know I will get

into some fine fish.

:P

You must be talking Port D :lol: j/k Jack :worthy:

Actually I just fish there in the late fall winter months,

mostly for the convience. And of course I know I will get

into some fine fish.

:P

well that's one example..there are probably pretty good chances of a 12 month a year possibilities in there

The secret colour is whatever you feel comfortable using. Pink would have caught'em too. Steelies love pink. Lake Trout.....ah, who cares :D:P

think what you will.... :P Bones be new to this spot and new to this way of trout fishing used a bunch of stuff out of his tackle box.....after I got a couple fish to his nothing,he switched up to what I was using and got a huge hit right away then caught one..so.... ;)..how many years expereince do you have fishing the Niagara River there Tommy????? I have about 25 years into it :lol:

Nice going JW ....and Mr.Bones ! You have some NICE fish there , makes the walk down & back up really worth while . When I was a teener we used to go all the way to the Lake of Bays to catch lakers . They were like gold if we caught one , using short steel rods and a big ugly reel with clothes line wire to get down 50 feet or more , except for ice fishing where we caught them in 15 feet over rocky shoals . Eating them was the meal du jour ....excellent ! I'll have to do a river run soon & give Mr.Twister a try .

BTW ....it's time to head to Port for the derby . I am a late fisher ....got to give the guys a chance before I dunk my special killers I just hooked up . :lol:

Archived