Lost the battle

smerchly

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to announce this .......but we (I personally) have lost a battle that has been going on for a long time . They are going to destroy Port Dalhousie as I have known it all my life of 65 years . The big monstrosity of a tower is going up .......Money always wins these battles , and frankly I knew the Toronto developer would get his way . They have already mentioned another high rise condo corp .is seeking a permit to build there also . It will soon look like Toronto on this side as well and you will need to be in the elite group to be part of this "water front oasis" It's going to be a total mess when construction begins ......The way the economy is tanking , I hope it becomes a huge flop & the developer loses his shirt ...... :unsure:

Something really stinks in this country.......

Sorry to hear that. Towns and cities along the lakeshore just can't resist the tax dollars generated by the high rise. Even if they do the developers wear them down in court. Even Oakville the town of the wealthiest nimbies in the country can't stop it. Here's a thought that a guy once told me. If it wasn't for the industry in the harbour here most of us probably could not afford to live here as it would be nothing but the rich parked along the bayshore and housing here would be through the roof.

Sadly Port may suffer the same fate as Niagara on the Lake, and Niagara Falls with the wall of Hotels.It will become the playground of the elite, where locals are not really welcomed. Try to get within one km of Queen Victoria Park without paying 10 dollar parking fees. Queenston is the next village that will fall victim to this, with the jet boats and planned condominums on the horizon... :blink:

Lakerunner.

Personally I don't see what the big deal is :blink:

I can understand the residents living there being

upset with more traffic and parking issues.

As long as I have lived here all I have ever seen in Port

was bars and a few resturants, and recently a small plaza.

Drive through there on a summers eve and for the most part

all you see is the younger crowd drinking at the various bars.

Parking may become an issue, but walks along the pier for

those so inclined will still be available. Fishing will probably still occur.

If you compare Port to Niagara on the Lake, at least NOTL has

all kinds of shops and resturants and actual historical buildings

to look at.

Port has the old jail and the fascade of one of the building that

are actually historical, and thats it.

After a five minute walk through

the place, you've seen all Port has to offer.

So really what is being lost.

Nothing.

No one has really made a case for whats being lost.

That's probably why the deal has gone through.

If not a vertical tower on already urban land, then how about horizontal expansion on greenfield land? Its in our nature to be resistant to change, but what we're talking about here is habitat; human habitat. Unless we decide as a species to stop growing our population, we have no choice but to continue to build places for us to live. We can say, "Build it in

Toronto", but that's just shifting it someplace else (NIMBY).

I as much as anybody hate to see access to my old fishing spots cut off by waterfront development or my hunting grounds lost due to urban expansion or rural estate homes, but when it comes to minimizing the impact of development on our natural spaces, we as a society and the rules that govern us are certainly doing a heck of a better job now than we were a generation ago.

We all live in homes of one kind or another, and its a near certainty that before the land was developed and your was house built, there were people (perhaps even an entire neighbourhood) opposed to it.

I really hope while they are digging, they hit part of the old canal they unearthed last summer and the whole thing is shut down. Many of us LOCALS have vivid memories of what Port used to be. Would NOTL let a 7 story tower be built?

By the looks of things that project just might be put on hold . The economic walls are rapidly caving in & they may wait a while before digging in . No point in building theatres & restaurants if the customers don't come . We may find more people will be cooking Port Dalhousie fish right at home to supplement the grocery bill . I know I'll be adding more fish to the table this year . There's hope yet....... :unsure:

:Gonefishing:

Archived