Road Dust Oiling

smerchly

The city of St.Catharines dumped some sort of black oil that looks like crude oil on Rooker Rd. yesterday .(Port Dal) There are puddles full of this black stuff & some is running down over the concrete within a few feet of the harbour . I fished there this morn. & your shoes will make a nice mess in your vehicle after walking in that black oil. I guess the big boats there complained about dust but the road is only about 100 meters long . If it rains heavy tomorrow , this oil will be washed into the harbour . I went to the SCGFA & a fellow called the city & the lady said it was illegal to use oil , but she called back & said the oil wasn't toxic......it is ok to use this "dust arrester oil" . I don't believe it is necessary to use this black oily "substance" at all there.

here's a few shots....what do you think ?

rooker%20oil.jpg

oil%20puddles.jpg

oil%20leech.jpg

Oh yes.....someone got their jollies tipping over the outhouse there last night . I hope they satisfied their little minds , must have been a blast :P

outhouse.jpg

Thanks for the link , I googled up the same site as well and others . This stuff is black and oily looking . I have to ask , why oil this little strip of road being so close to water ....The vehicles only go walking speed there so dust shouldn't be a problem , it's a remote spot with only a few sail boats there . Much of the "dust suppressor" will be gone now....I'll keep an eye out for swans , geese & ducks with black goo on them & I'll be sure to get some close up photos to pass around the internet . My whole point about this is to know why they found it necessary to do this here of all places.....I'm sure some of the regular walkers who stroll & bike this trail daily must not be happy about this gunk....This stuff makes the garbage situation pale in comparison .

Archived